Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got knocked down today, need new beater bike

• 27-05-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Leporadstown roundabout was the location, which is a pain at the best of times.

Each entrance to the roundabout has two lanes. In the lane closest to me the car stops to let me cross, as im crossing the oncomming van didnt see me and plough's into me. when i opened my eyes i was looking up at the bottom of the bumper and into the engine!

I will never ever doubt the awesomeness of a helmet, whichout which I would be in much worse shape.

Anywhoo, my bike is toast:
    SNC00005.jpg

Im cool, bruised wrist and road rash from my knee up to my shoulder, the shoulder being pretty scuffed up. il live thankfully!

As for the bike, back wheel buckled, back derailer bent, main sprocket bent, pedal cracked, front wheel folded over and handlebars dont turn with ease anymore. Its an old raleigh, worth about 50 quid in good condition, and i dont think i can fix it for any less so dont think its worth fixing.

As such, i want some opinions on a decent bike that I can use for kerb jumping and what not.

Not looking to spend too much. i see some Trek 6500's 2nd hand for about 350ish. would they be an ok beater bike? I know brand new they are much more expensive so was actually surprised to see them so cheaply 2nd hand.

im interested in using whatever i get for a bit of trail riding also, not so fancy that i need to baby it, but good enough that i can know its reliable.

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Given the state of the bike it sounds like you were lucky not to have come off worse. Glad you're ok.

You were on the roundabout and he was coming from a junction or vice versa?

Were the cops called? Did you exchange details? Witnesses?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

I was on an island between an exit and an entrance. I was going across the entrance.

The car in the lane closest to me stopped to let me pass. i glanced and could see the traffic in the far lane was stopped also so i went to cross. next thing the cars in the far lane moved, and a van comming up behind them didnt see me and ploughed into me.

I really was really really lucky. when i opened my eyes i was actually looking up at the bottom of the engine/bumper, so my head was under the van.

I was totally shook, didnt know what was going on for a few minutes. I got the guys name but it never crossed my mind to take any further details. il know better if it ever happens again, but i really hope it doesnt.

Again, il say that without a helmet i was done for. no cops called. I really didnt deal with the situation like i should have, but again, i was totally shaken. i was 2 mins from my apartment which was a godsend, but really annoys me also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Scary scary.

I'm glad you're ok.

Bikes can be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Yeah, glad you're ok.

Did you even get the van's reg? Understandable that you were in shock though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

How did you end up on the traffic island?

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    How did you end up on the traffic island?

not the island in the middle of the roundabout, one of the islands between one of the entrances and exits. standard on most large roundabouts where people can cross. you cross one lane( the exit in my case) and you are on an island before you cross the entrance.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

fguihen wrote: »
    not the island in the middle of the roundabout, one of the islands between one of the entrances and exits. standard on most large roundabouts where people can cross. you cross one lane( the exit in my case) and you are on an island before you cross the entrance.

I think he meant why weren't you cycling on the road? Or were you walking the bike?

i was cycling across, i dont get down of the bike. ive done it a thousand times, its nothing unsafe or anything. just sitting on the bike with my leg on the ground. when a gap comes in the traffic i jump up and hit off.

Why was I not on the road? If anyone knows the lepoardstown roundabout you would know why. its dangerous enough in a car, its best crossed in pedestrian style when on a bike, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

so you were really crossing a lane before/after a roundabout?
    Glad to hear you are ok but why were you cycling across a road?
    Shouldnt you have either been cycling around the roundabout or wheeling your bike if you were acting the ped?

/edit
    beaten to it, but I totally disagree, it IS patently unsafe. Its also an unsafe practice for pedestrians. NEVER cross in front of thr first vehicle, always behind. That way you get a warning when traffic moves.

Hopefully a lesson learned the hard way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hope you really are OK - although you may think so, take it easy for a few days. You should probably get yourself checked out, as you clearly have some injuries.

You are also required (by law) to report this to the Gardai, as must the driver, as there are personal injuries involved. Of course, there is probably little they can do if the driver does not report it, and you have no other witnesses. However you never know, and it's best to report it anyway (if the driver is to blame, at the very least they should replace your bike, if they can be traced of course)

Sorry I can't help you on bike recommendations (kerb jumping is not my thing!), but I am sure there are a few around here that can assist

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

its nothing unsafe or anything.

I'd tend to disagree. You just got milled by a van.
    Why was I not on the road? If anyone knows the lepoardstown roundabout you would know why. its dangerous enough in a car, its best crossed in pedestrian style when on a bike, IMO.

I do know it and I think you'd be far better off cycling on the road rather than trying to cycle across entrances and exits.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be smart or anything. I just wanted to point out that what you were doing my not be the safest course of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You were cycling across the pedestrian crossing, were you?

I don't use pedestrian crossings that are directly in the mouth of roundabouts, even as a pedestrian. I regard them as highly hazardous. I walk down the arm and cross much further away from the roundabout. It's a pain, but people just don't expect to meet anyone as they're leaving the roundabout.

By that token, I would do the same with a bike, or go round the roundabout as a vehicle; I definitely would not proceed as you have been proceeding (if I understand you correctly). Skirting the outside of the roundabout is definitely the most hazardous way to proceed, even though the markings implicitly tell you to do it as a pedestrian.

Cyclecraft has a lot of advice on how to cross roundabouts, and is available in the public libraries.
    when i opened my eyes i was looking up at the bottom of the bumper and into the engine!

Were you unconscious? If so, please go to a doctor or emergency room for assessment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OK, pedestrian accident then.

Was the van exiting the roundabout or entering?

I've been doing a bit of footpath cycling with the kids recently (:eek:), and have to cross the road before/after the roundabout where the kerb dips from the footpath. Cars exitings roundabouts are absolutely lethal. Whilst on the roundabout drivers are focused on people joining, but as soon as they see their exit they floor it and go completely blind to anything in front of them.

Obviously you want to anticipate this and only cross when it's clear, but many people indicate incorrectly and if you're not quick enough a car will have joined the roundabout, exited and run you over whilst you're still crossing.

Perhaps its better to always cross to the left of a roundabout, that way you deal with the most dangerous lane first. When people are braking they are much more aware.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i was cycling across, i dont get down of the bike. ive done it a thousand times, its nothing unsafe or anything. just sitting on the bike with my leg on the ground. when a gap comes in the traffic i jump up and hit off.

ah, ok. I cycle across that roundabout quite a bit and it's not pleasant, but it's safer on the road imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paulmcd1973

What the OP was doing is something pedestrians have to do regularly at that roundabout. There are no official pedestrian crossings, no speed bumps to slow down traffic and the nearest traffic lights at which to cross are hundreds of metres away. The council responsible for it, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown I think, have been asked numerous times to look at increasing the safety of this roundabout but have done nothing. You'd hope they aren't waiting for someone to be killed before they take action.

I'm a regular pedestrian, cyclist and motorist at that roundabout. I actually feel safer cycling around it than I do crossing the junctions as a pedestrian.

In fact, now I think of it, even if you weren't unconscious, I assume from the helmet commendation that you must have hit your head. If you haven't been medically assessed, get assessed as matter of urgency. Brain injuries are sometimes subtle.

GreeBo wrote: »
    beaten to it, but I totally disagree, it IS patently unsafe. Its also an unsafe practice for pedestrians. NEVER cross in front of thr first vehicle, always behind. That way you get a warning when traffic moves.

Hopefully a lesson learned the hard way.

well, the guy in the lane closest to me waved me across so there was no chance of that lane of traffic moving. in the opposite lane there were two cars in front of where i was crossing. the van came up pretty quickly just as the cars started to move when i was half way across.

Not saying i was right in what i done, but i do know better than to cross in front of the first car on a roundabout.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    In fact, now I think of it, even if you weren't unconscious, I assume from the helmet commendation that you must have hit your head. If you haven't been medically assessed, get assessed as matter of urgency. Brain injuries are sometimes subtle.

I did go to the hospital. They done things like check my blood pressure, check my reflex's, pupils, memory and general tasks to see if i was acting coherently. Got an xray of my arm also. badly brused and lots of road rash ( nurse said its worse than a deep cut as its much sorer, il agree at the moment!), but ok apart from that.

Someone asked if i was hit on an entrance or exit, it was an entrance, a van just comming onto the roundabout, comming quite quickly.

Thanks for the advice folks. cycling down the arm of that roundabout is what il do from now on. i really dont want to cycle around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As everyone else has said (and I know the roundabout myself and yes it is a disaster) it is still safer to pretend you are a car and cycle around it on that basis.

Unfortunately as you were cycling your bike across the road it may make redress against the van driver more difficult; it would be open and shut had you been cycling on the actual roundabout or walking across the road as a ped and he plowed into you.

On the beater bike front I would look for a decent non-suspended hybrid in good condition second hand. The likes of a Dawes Discovery. You should pick up something good, lighter and with more modern standard components than the bike you had for around €100-150. €350 secondhand is well out of beater bike territory I think, into a bike you would actually want to take care of.

blorg wrote: »
    On the beater bike front I would look for a decent non-suspended hybrid in good condition second hand. The likes of a Dawes Discovery. You should pick up something good, lighter and with more modern standard components than the bike you had for around €100-150. €350 secondhand is well out of beater bike territory I think, into a bike you would actually want to take care of.

well, im also using this as an excuse to get a mountain bike i would trust to use on some decent trails also, some sort of hard tail with front suspension. next thing im expecting you to say is that although 350 is too much for a beater, its much too low for a decent reliable hard tail trail bike!

well, im also using this as an excuse to get a mountain bike i would trust to use on some decent trails also, some sort of hard tail with front suspension. next thing im expecting you to say is that although 350 is too much for a beater, its much too low for a decent reliable hard tail trail bike!
    New it would be although secondhand you might swing something. Certainly if you could up the budget another 100. It is more that if you have a nice mountain bike that works well on the trails it is both too nice and also due to the suspension utterly unsuitable for cycling on the street. Certainly not a "beater."

If this hasn't been sold today it is a great bike at 440. I know the seller and he felt the trails were a bit mucky and put his hair out of place and so he barely used it. Very nice bike, very good condition.

8cbaed518a2b0a92f081df90dd1bc40a7d2ba5bf53392d5ce070ce8f7e129212.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I'm still unclear as to what you were doing, and what the van driver was doing. Either way, you are the lesser vehicle, and at a glance, it sounds like the van driver didn't pay due care and attention.

You need to report this to if you want your bike paid for, you have also damaged your clothes, and yourself. You deserve to be compensated, you need to go through the idiot van drivers insurance.

No skin of my nose if you don't, the only person who has lost skin is you.

I don't wish to sound harsh, so let me say, I wish you best recovery, and hope this doesn't happen again.

Slan

PS: The helmet saved your life most likely.

T-Square wrote: »
    PS: The helmet saved your life most likely.
    Yes clearly, the man has no broken bones, just road rash and bruising, but he would indubitably be dead were he not wearing a helmet :rolleyes: Like the hundreds of other cyclists knocked off their bikes in Dublin and KILLED every year in similar circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes the bike is still for sale, but there is a MAD MTB guy coming to view it soon!

I was actually referring to that roundabout in another post today, the off road pedestrian and cyclist facilities are dangerous as already mentioned. People are not even looking at you, they are only looking at the traffic entering the roundabout and looking for a gap.

Also, I would never cross on foot/bike or in a car if someone waves me on. You see this a lot driving, some guy waves you across a 2 lane junction and people feel the need to oblige without seeing the car coming up the other lane opposite them.

Good thing you are ok though, I have had plenty of close calls on that roundabout but I use it regularly and my only advice would echo Blorg's: Be assertive, take the lane, indicate and don't hold up the traffic. If you act like a car they will (generally) treat you like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Yes clearly, the man has no broken bones, just road rash and bruising, but he would indubitably be dead were he not wearing a helmet :rolleyes: Like the hundreds of other cyclists knocked off their bikes in Dublin and KILLED every year in similar circumstances.

You are in denial if you think you can't die from a head injury, with relatively minor injuries elsewhere on your body.

And cyclists die every year.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You are in denial if you think you can't die from a head injury, with relatively minor injuries elsewhere on your body.

I don't think anyone is denying that, but where is the head injury in this case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I will never ever doubt the awesomeness of a helmet, whichout which I would be in much worse shape.
    Helmet ftw! Coming from someone who woke up 3 days later in hospital after getting hit by a car 17 years back, and more recently, broke the elbow, but my helmet only bounced softly off the road.

Seriously, you'll find yourself telling everyone and their friend to wear a helmet when cycling.

=-=

Don't know the roundabout, but I assume the sign said "Yield" as opposed to "Stop"? If the latter, the van driver should be given points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I go through that roundabout on my cummute to work. I would be coming up leopartstown road an heading for Burton Hall Ave. I have found that if there is traffic backed up that I am better to travel up between the cars and take up a position to go around the roundabout (Plenty of visable hand signals given) and leave the cars on the inside to turn left or go straighhead up towards the M5. Once on the roundabout I take up a position of a car and if possible keep the hand signal going, then give a wave/thumbs up to cars that have given me room to exit the roundabout safely, need to watch out for cars coming on to Burton Hall road from the slip road that circumvents the roundabout.

Of course you can and I almost always wear a helmet myself. However the actual chances of your dying from a head injury in a cycling accident are very small.

Many cyclists don't wear helmets, I'd say a majority don't in Dublin. Many cyclists have scrapes with cars or otherwise come off their bikes resulting in bruises and road rash, broken bones or worse.

However very few cyclists are actually killed in a year- in Dublin, single digits, nationwide it is in the teens. One of the most common causes of cyclist death is being crushed by a left-turning truck. A helmet doesn't help you here.

I have smashed many a helmet and am well acquainted with Giro's returns department. I don't think I would have been killed for every helmet I break.

This whole "the helmet saved my life" thing is simple bollocks. The man had minor injuries; the helmet probably saved him from grazing his head and bit of a headache.

Given that most cyclists don't wear helmets, and surely several thousand of these minor incidents occur each year, cyclist fatalities from those not wearing helmets should be in the thousands. They aren't. They are in the teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

In fairness Blorg, the guy said that without his helmet he would have been in much worse shape (sic),, so whether or not it would have saved his life is beside the point, there are numerous brain injuries/trauma related effects that the helmet MAY have prevented. If the helmet is damaged, that would indicate that it's done its job, and protected your nut in one way or another. Death, brain damage, concussion, they're all a bit sh*t...

In other news, I was also recently hit on this roundabout while on the road, exiting towards the centre of the estate, when someone coming down the slip road off the M50 cuts lanes without looking or indicating. The car behind me saw what was gonna happen and beeped, causing the driver in front to stop all of 6 inches in front of me, and over the top I went. The roundabout is atrocious, and I now avoid in rush hour, too many people who are frustrated and impatient.

Also, Blorg, saw you cycling home from said Industrial estate today, waved but no response. It's not often you see a Litespeed with double panniers and tri bars...

• Advertisement

I have to say there is no way of knowing whether the OP would have suffered a worse head injury. People, including medical people say these things all the time, but you really would have to do exactly the same thing again without the helmet to find out. And repeat a good many times for both scenarios and then statistically compare the outcomes. I'm sure the OP doesn't want to do that.

In fairness Blorg, the guy said that without his helmet he would have been in much worse shape (sic),, so whether or not it would have saved his life is beside the point, there are numerous brain injuries/trauma related effects that the helmet MAY have prevented. If the helmet is damaged, that would indicate that it's done its job, and protected your nut in one way or another. Death, brain damage, concussion, they're all a bit sh*t...
    He doesn't know what worse shape he would be in unless he tries it again without the helmet and whacks his head.* Helmets are designed to smash to absorb energy. Sure a helmet can prevent injuries, that is after all why I generally wear one myself and certainly when doing anything risky. However whenever anyone has a minor spill around here there are proclamations that the helmet surely saved yer man's life. Bollocks it did.
    Also, Blorg, saw you cycling home from said Industrial estate today, waved but no response. It's not often you see a Litespeed with double panniers and tri bars...
    Whoops, didn't see you... that is my touring bike, a Van Nicholas Amazon. Must confess I wasn't wearing a helmet today, I need a haircut :)

*EDIT: Tomasrojo beat me to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Glad OP is relatively OK though it sounds like you're in for a rough few days while the rash and other injuries heal.

He's thankful for the helmet, so I gather his head hit the ground. If he ended up on his back under the van, it's quite likely. If he lost consciousness, it's very likely...to the point of probable.

For the record, I always wear a helmet. Not because it will save my life but because it will protect me from *some* injuries. Why wear sunglasses - wind in my eyes won't kill me. Why wear suncream - a sunburn today won't kill me. Why wear chamois - sore arse won't kill me. Why wear lycra - wind resistance won't kill me.

I agree that a helmet won't save your life in all circumstances....or even in many that can be quoted. I agree that a few cyclists die each year, regardless of headgear. I don't know the stats for non-fatal head injuries from cyclist related accidents.

If a truck rolls over me, I'm squashed and that's it. If I fall and hit my head unfortunately, I'd prefer to be protected to give me an extra chance. I'd probably prefer to be squashed and gone than stuck in a bed for 50 years, eating thru a tube, causing hardship to my carers.

If I fall and hit my head unfortunately, I'd prefer to be protected to give me an extra chance.
    Same reason I generally wear a helmet. I think the head is quite solid; I have experience of knocking it in very similar accidents both with and without a helmet. However at the same time if you DO do bad damage to it, it can be a lot more serious than doing the same to your arm or your leg and I would like the extra protection in an accident... I just get a bit tired of this "helmet saved my life" nonsense whenever anyone has a minor spill. No, it didn't. Continue wearing the helmet, great, many manufacturers will sell you a replacement for half RRP if you send the crashed one back (very worth it if it is an expensive racing helmet.) Maybe someday it will save your life (or save you from serious injury.) This probably wasn't the day :)

BTW, FRIDAY Helmet thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Oh goody! Helmet thread, let me begin. I hate helmets. I've a big bulb on me and I look a tool with one on. Also on days like these I overheat which I find extremely distracting with sweat drops running into my eyes thereby quite ironically increasing the chances of a smash. The only reason I wear one is because that they're mandatory for club spins and also I find it helps to placate my mother and girlfriend who have the ear worn off me with the helmet talk. Basically I wear one to keep others happy. That said, if I crash and do hit my head I'll be glad I've worn one. I don't think I'll ever use one for commuting though. If you're sensible and apply the principles of Cyclecraft anyone should be able to avoid or at least anticipate a potential crash thus negating the need for a lid. No offence to the OP but I don't think he was negotiating the roundabout properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Don't know the RAB in question but in Galway the 'City of the Roundabouts' the cycle paths lead you to cross the road at the entrance to each or just behind the first car. And most of the Cycle Paths have just been remarked to reiterate this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

@blorg, it was the Van Nicholas, looked like the Litespeed you were racing on in Black Bull...

But, in relation to this, if the helmet gets damaged, it's reasonable to assume SOME damage would be done to the head, and as such the helmet saved the op from some discomfort. The thing I'm beginning to hate is non-helmet-wearing-evangelists to exclaim how preposterous it is that the helmet saved your life(I don't think of you as one, by the way blorg!). It's role is to prevent a myriad of injuries, some of which are extremely serious. If you crash and get an arm injury it can range from road rash to a clean break, all of which you can recover from. If you crash and hit your head, it can range from a small bump to serious brain damage, far more difficult to recover from. Wearing a lid reduces, not eradicates, the damage potentially done to your head and brain. Given that most helmets are relatively light, and most ones above entry level are pretty well ventilated, I won't complain about wearing one.

On the other hand, I do not wish to stoke the fire here, as I think it's an entirely personal choice and wouldn't begrudge anyone for not wearing one. I just don't like it when people say they're utterly pointless, because clearly they're not. Equally, they're not some magic talisman that will protect the wearer from the evils of the road. Cycling smart is the best protection, way better than a piece of padded styrofoam on your head.

@coolbeans, every once in a while, sadly, a run in with a car is unavoidable. I am a careful and vigilant cyclist, but when a car cuts someone off, across a hard shoulder without indicating, no less, and stops dead inches in front of them, the best result is that the vigilant cyclist has slammed on the brakes and maneuvered to the side of the car where the crash will be minimal. Still crashed, but damage minimised, I got away with cut knuckles.

Also, yes blorg, you do need a haircut.

"Helmet saves me from minor injuries" is more of an argument to wear elbow and knee protectors as they are far more likely to be damaged in a fall.

I wear a helmet because the potential negative outcome is so great even though it is highly unlikely. It is like catastrophic insurance. Everyone has to do their own risk assesment on this and it is perfectly valid not to wear one, especially in lower risk activities like commuting. I would always wear one racing even if it were not mandatory. But then this is my view on it, until very recently they were not worn in the pro peloton and deaths from head injuries were not common.

I probably, hopefully, will NEVER have an accident where the helmet saves my life- but in case the worst happens I would prefer to have one on there. I would expect to smash hundreds of helmets before I would be in the spill where "the helmet saved my life."

"Helmet saves me from minor injuries" is more of an argument to wear elbow and knee protectors as they are far more likely to be damaged in a fall.

Or more probably a full face helmet, since most people value their face more than their elbows.

I wear a helmet because the potential negative outcome is so great even though it is highly unlikely. It is like catastrophic insurance. Everyone has to do their own risk assesment on this and it is perfectly valid not to wear one, especially in lower risk activities like commuting. I would always wear one racing even if it were not mandatory. But then this is my view on it, until very recently they were not worn in the pro peloton and deaths from head injuries were not common.

I probably, hopefully, will NEVER have an accident where the helmet saves my life- but in case the worst happens I would prefer to have one on there. I would expect to smash hundreds of helmets before I would be in the spill where "the helmet saved my life."

Agreed, totally. But the helmet is there on the understanding that a really bad arm injury is painful, but a really bad head injury is potentially fatal or brain-damaging. It can help to reduce the damage, again, not eradicate it.It is, and should remain, a personal choice, it's just helmet bashing is doing my head in. Ha, that's kind of ironic...

Also, in the pro-peloton, bike handling skills are far higher than those possessed by your average commuter/amateur racer, so I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

*sigh*

The other side of the (largely nonsensical) helmet-saved-my-life coin is the pious eejits who reflexively ask after every tragic cycling death "...and was he/she wearing a helmet?"

A cyclist might just have been reduced to a 200 yard smear of gore on tarmac and yet the safety mavens will be there, sagely shaking their heads, tutting. "No helmet" they'll whisper to each other, "no helmet".

The arseholes.

The most important and fundamental anyone can do to stay upright and happy is use the roads correctly (without assuming that others will follow suit). On this front the OP failed on at least two counts; pretending to be a pedestrian, and thinking that because one lane is clear the other will be ok. But it doesn't matter, right? Behavior is irrelevant - attire is where the argument comes to. Magic hats! magic hats!

Lumen wrote: »
    Or more probably a full face helmet, since most people value their face more than their elbows.
    I have heard of a few roadies who actually do this, having had bad faceplants and tooth loss in previous accidents. Saw a guy the other day wearing a full face on a road bike (in Dublin, not Marco Pinotti's mechanic.)

On the other hand, I do not wish to stoke the fire here, as I think it's an entirely personal choice and wouldn't begrudge anyone for not wearing one. I just don't like it when people say they're utterly pointless, because clearly they're not. Equally, they're not some magic talisman that will protect the wearer from the evils of the road. Cycling smart is the best protection, way better than a piece of padded styrofoam on your head.

Agreed, niceonetom!

Also, in the pro-peloton, bike handling skills are far higher than those possessed by your average commuter/amateur racer, so I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison...

There is obviously no justification for using a helmet in an uphill time trial in a pro cycling race, but they still do it.

Interestingly, the rider whose death sparked helmet compulsion in pro cycling wasn't killed by going off a cliff or into a tree (as one might imagine), but in a normal rider entaglement causing him to go over the bars, hit the road and suffer a brain injury.

This either goes against the idea that forward speed is not an aggravating factor in road+skull impacts or suggests that you can die by falling off the turbo trainer.

There is obviously no justification for using a helmet in an uphill time trial in a pro cycling race, but they still do it.

This either goes against the idea that forward speed is not an aggravating factor in road+skull impacts or suggests that you can die by falling off the turbo trainer.

I reckon the problem for the UCI is about the consistency of enforcement; if you're lax on a hill climb tt, then why not for a mountain top finish, and then why not a mountainous section? Then, having started the descent helmetless, the rider would have been a danger to those around him putting a helmet on at speed, etc...

You could die by falling off your turbo. Those things are lethal. I'd never have one, I way prefer real roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I was knocked down last February and was wearing a hlmet however the impact and force was mostly on my face then the crown of my head so the helmet made little diffrence in this incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Remember the thread a few days back of some woman in NZ crossing the tracks on the bike when the barrier was down and was wearing earphones ...

Looks like she was wearing a helmet ... thank god for that ... otherwise there would have been a headline ... "Woman without helmet, wearing headphones, run over by train" ....

I think there would be general agreement that the faster you smack your skull into the tarmac the higher the risk; that would seem to be implied by first principles (physics.) That doesn't mean you can't survive a high speed impact or be killed by a low speed one. You can't generalise much from a sample of one (although you can mandate helmet use.)

Incidentally in the early years of the helmet compulsion riders didn't have to wear them on uphill TTs or indeed mountain-top finishes. This was later tightened up.
    UCI wrote:
    Except where there are legal provisions to the contrary, riders taking part in international events for elite men of class 4 and above may, at their own risk, remove their helmet during the final climb when the finish of the event or stage is on or at the summit of that climb, subject to the following conditions:
    1) the climb in question is at least 5 km in length,
    2) the helmet may not be removed before the start of the climb,

bv0qymvk-01.jpg

As to the turbo

Wow, I was kidding, that is hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think its like a bullet proof vest. Its not much good if you get hit by a tank, or shot in the face. That doesn't mean its not a good idea. Or that you need to wear it while watching TV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement