Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got knocked down today, need new beater bike

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

BostonB wrote: »
    I think its like a bullet proof vest. Its not much good if you get hit by a tank, or shot in the face. That doesn't mean its not a good idea. Or that you need to wear it while watching TV.
    That's a quite moderate view and I can see why you put it that way.

My personal point of view is that I have sincerely looked for credible peer-reviewed evidence that cycling is unusually productive of serious head injuries and found none. I also looked for credible peer-reviewed evidence (excluding case-control studies, because they are notoriously prone to confounding) that helmets are very effective in preventing serious head injuries and found none.

I did find quite a lot of opinion by medical people that helmets were great, but it really wasn't backed up by any evidence, bar case-control studies.

Before I went looking for these data, I did wear a helmet for about five years, every trip. I found it cumbersome to carry around off the bike -- it is after all pretty much as big as a human head -- and a pain to keep clean and odour-free.

After I satisfied myself that cycling was not especialy productive of head injuries and that helmets were not especially effective in preventing head injuries, I stopped bothering.

If I find new evidence that cycling is unusually productive of head injuries, I'll reconsider. I don't think evidence that helmets are very effective will appear, but even if it did, it wouldn't be sufficient to convince me to change back without compelling evidence of high risk of head injury while cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Since I started back cycling I got knocked off once. It was the classic slow speed across the bonnet and landed on head impact. So I'm bias. That said from I was a kid to when I started work no one wore helmets. Its only really become popular in the last few years. Mind you I cycled a lot less then, than you do commuting or training. Back then no one wore helmets or safety shoes or did the safepass on buidling sites. I dunno if thats had any impact on stats on building sites either.

Advertisement