Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 120m bband - what router hardware/software solution?

• 27-05-2010 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to plan ahead of the order for upgrade to 120m in the summer..

So i have to look at two ways of doing it:LAN and WAN (with Wireless along them on the LAN side)

WAN

Once the WAN upgrade from 30m to 120m will take place,i presume that UPC will deliver new cable-modems to work with new protocol for new speeds OR release over-the-network firmware and configuration push upgrade to current modems.This process is beyond my control and i have no options to choose from.

LAN

But ,on this side,i can select from many hardware and software devices that will work and take advantage of the new speed.

So,i'm currently upgrading my network switch to a full ports 1Gb that knows LAG - link aggregation.My home servers will have a dual nic adapter ,that will give me a 4G full duplex speed.The remaining workstations will have a standard desktop Gig nic in a single port configuration,give me 2Gb full duplex.

Router...the market is quite slow in releasing a proper router for handling WAN ports at 1Gb speed. Sonicwall, DLink, Netgear, Sonicwall,all having something to offer at a cost.

I have Astaro software solution running under Linux on a standard desktop pc for a while and i'm quite happy.Free license for home users,has many many extra features free of charge compared to others.I have to upgrade the existing four 100m nics to 1Gig speeds to match the WAN 120m. Very good firewall rules,good routing tables, max bandwidth throughput under a standard P4 PC,min 512 ram and a 40Gb hdd.

Re wireless,not sure as i'm using the Sonicwall wireless router that gives me perfect security at a optimal speed.Here,in wifi arena,i prefer security rather than speed,as i won't do most of the hard work on the mobile phones or laptops.

So,my question is:are there something that i'm missing or overlooking !?
    What kind of setup are you thinking, once 120m offer is available !?

Regards...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

no, i'm coming with another question...

i've found this product here:
    http://www.routerboard.com/pricelist.php

and prices here:
    http://www.roc-noc.com/home.php?cat=4

I'm thinking of making a combination from 800 or going all way to 1000.
    What do you think about it !?

Dont waste your money until UPC start the 120Mb service as they will most likely provide a Docsis 3.0 integrated Modem/Routercombo.

Simalar to the current ccisco one, but that only does Docsis 2.0.

yes,you maybe right,thanks for answer

Just checking the European UPC market and our friends over there are using this modem:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8675/ps8682/7016885.pdf

So,it looks that will be a docsis3 cable modem,with a giga interface to connect to a local router.No mention of a proper router,but at least we get a good lan interface connection.

We may have to wait for Holland to do the job,then after here,based on the local market...let's see !

Some news from parent company UPC for possible new cable modems:

UPC picks Technicolor EMTA
    By Julian Clover
    Published: August 6, 2010 09.26 Europe/London

UPC Broadband is to deploy a new EMTA from Technicolor as part of its EuroDOCSIS 3.0 service. The TWG870 will be rolled out in the Netherlands, Poland and Austria. It will fully automate the subscriber installation process.

“Technicolor was able to deliver a complete package which makes it very easy for our subscribers to install and set up themselves. The new TWG870 is a very powerful end-user-friendly product,” said Karen Kinsey, VP supply chain management at UPC Broadband.

The TWG870 incorporates voice telephony with a four-port gigabit Ethernet router and 802.11n wireless connectivity. It allows the bonding of up to eight downstream channels, offering internet access speeds of up to 300Mb/s to the home. Support of the 802.11n standard greatly increases the range as well as speed of access on the home network.

source:
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/08/06/upc-picks-technicolor-emta/

- EuroDOCSIS 3.0
    - Dual-mode cable modem: DOCSIS and EuroDOCSIS
    - 64 MHz dual tuner
    - Backward-compatible with DOCSIS 2.0 (and older)
    - 4 port GEthernet router
    - MPEG2 over IP Encapsulation solution
    - Wi-fi 11n draft 2.0 wireless connection
    - Reliable high-performance platform
    - Powerful processor and architecture
    - Advanced power management
    - Supports IPv4 and IPv6
    - Advanced security features

http://local.technicolor.com/GlobalEnglish/Deliver/Cable/cable-modems-routers-gateways/emea/TWG870/Pages/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

UPC use pretty standard equipment across all of their networks so, I would assume that you could expect to see this router in Ireland in the not too distant future too.

They're really going to blow the competition out of the water with 120mbit/s though. Other than fibre-to-the-home, there's nothing else that can even touch these kinds of speeds. It leaves eircom 10+ years behind!

"8 mbit/s uncongested broadband" vs "120mbit/s fibre power" LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they've dialled the impending upgrade back to 100mbps for now, although i'm sure it'll get bumped to 120mbps before too long to come in line with the rest of their territories once they know it's stable.

also bear in mind that in line with upc.nl etc. the 100/120mbps connection is likely to be in the ballpark of €70-80 a month, so the current 30mbps users will most likely go to 50-60mbps at the same or similar price with an option of the higher speeds at a premium.

they've 'managed' to postpone / delay upgrading to docsis3 aka 100m Europe wide,as far as i can read from other sites...so,we are not an exception !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

rolion wrote: »
    they've 'managed' to postpone / delay upgrading to docsis3 aka 100m Europe wide,as far as i can read from other sites...so,we are not an exception !
    fraid not hoss, check the other UPC territories.

in Holland UPC have had 120mbps for over a year now, with 8 of their territories either on 100mbps or 120mbps.

Ireland are second from last at 30mbps, with Romania bringing up the rear with 24mbps.

here's the league tables for UPC broadband across Europe right now. :)

120mbps – Netherlands, Poland, Hungary, Slovakia

100mbps- Germany, Austria, Belgium, Czech Rep

30mbps - Ireland

24mbps - Romania

you can get links to all their territories websites here and see the speeds/prices for yourself: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPC_Broadband

also, euroDOCSIS3.0 is good up to 400mbps so they've still got plenty of room to bump it up if they need to. not that anyone is going to know what to do with it if they do. :D

Advertisement