Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blur

• 27-05-2010 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭

seeing this is out tomorrow, think it derserves a thread.

I havent been looking forward to a racer for some time and but this seems to be an excellent arcadey racer with hints of mario kart.

hopefully we can arrange a few boardsie races. i know Parawind should be getting it and cableguy seemed fond of the beta demo as well so should have 3 lads there already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Yeah Defo up for this should have it for sunday. Won't get near a shop tomorrrow and supposed to be away Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

I reckon I'll wait til this is a bit cheaper before I pick it up. Seems like a game that will have a strong online community for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

not a patch on split/second

not. a. patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 tuffenuff

Gonna pick up a copy later today, will ley you know whatit is like. Loved the beta, the online racing was just fun.

Been waiting for the reviews on singleplayer, and they are all good.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=19730

Need to find the best price, anyone know of any deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's something weird going on with GAME and Blur. First there was this - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/game-denies-rift-with-activision - then this morning I went into their Dawson Street shop. Not only was it €10 dearer than HMV at €54.99, they had it in the pre-owned section and there were only three or four copies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Helix wrote: »

not. a. patch.
    Neither games are worth a look. Bizarre made Pgr4, and for them to return to this level of noobevity is a sham. I won't be buying it... And as for Split/Second, same guys that made Pure. Again we're dealing with shambles of games. Neither will be deserving of my munny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Slugs wrote: »
    Neither games are worth a look. Bizarre made Pgr4, and for them to return to this level of noobevity is a sham. I won't be buying it... And as for Split/Second, same guys that made Pure. Again we're dealing with shambles of games. Neither will be deserving of my munny.

I'd wait until Blur hits the bargin bins at the end of the year, even then it will be a though buy. Split Second is a joke though, I'd go with the last 2-3 Burnout games over that TBH.

out of curiousity, have you actually played either of the games youve just slated there?

I'd wait until Blur hits the bargin bins at the end of the year, even then it will be a though buy. Split Second is a joke though, I'd go with the last 2-3 Burnout games over that TBH.

again, have you actually even played s/s?

out of curiousity, have you actually played either of the games youve just slated there?
    Of course not, we're making our opinions on conjecture...

• Advertisement

Of course not, we're making our opinions on conjecture...

yeh, thats exactly what it reads like tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

yeh, thats exactly what it reads like tbh

Swings and round abouts, you slated Mass Effect 2 on this site more than enough. I loved that game, you hated it. Now it's the other way round.

They are only personal opinions at the end of the day.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If Helix played ME2 before slating it... then its not quite the same thing is it.

Uniformed Opinion vs Informed Opinion.

Just sayin' loike. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I think you're confusing "noobevity" with "arcade racer". Many people, myself included, don't care for the more sim leanings of the likes of Forza or PGR and love nothing more than going full throttle into a corner, tapping the handbrake as we powerslide around it, perhaps even using an opponent as a barrier along the way. :D

Horses for courses and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Got this in from the states, it's sooo good, so much fun - 4 player split screen is something that was missing in racing games for a long time.

Swings and round abouts, you slated Mass Effect 2 on this site more than enough. I loved that game, you hated it. Now it's the other way round.

They are only personal opinions at the end of the day.

how can you have an opinion of a game youve not played though?

And we played the demo's before giving our opinions, does that not entitle us to the title of being so -called "informed. After all is that not the point of a demo. And if the demos are anything to go by none of the games are worth looking at. If blur is an arcade game, then arcade must require you to not take your finger off the accelerator as well as using the enviornment to stay on the track. The driving experience is a joke, if they fixed it I may take another look at it, but the demo was a sever let down. And Split/Second, that's about sums up how enjoyable the game is. The enviornment usage is a good premise but is poorly executed and poorly implemented.

And Helix, don't go around slating people just because they presented an opinion you didn't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

not. a. patch.

I disagree... I prefer Blur.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I played both demos as I have been really looking forward to both games, and was gong to pick up the best of the two. I'll openly admit that I was looking for a no brainer arcade speed driving experience. (I haven't the head for 100% accurate car modelling that allows you to tinker with every possible setting).
    I really wanted to like Split Second more, because the premise sounded better (detonate a bulding mid-race, yes please). I found that demo seriously lacking and think they should have released a multiplayer demo, the one player seemed so contrived and scripted.
    Blur on the other hand was a revelation, a Mario Kart style game with real cars. Against my initial leanings towards SS, I found myself really enjoying it. There were a good few rough edges, but hopefully they'll be ironed out in the full game.

didnt play the s/s demo, so no idea what was on offer compared to the full game, but haev to say the final thing is far superior to the final blur in ever way imo

• Advertisement

didnt play the s/s demo, so no idea what was on offer compared to the full game, but haev to say the final thing is far superior to the final blur in ever way imo
    So let me get this straight, you didn't play the s/s demo, made a comment about how s/s is better, than berated me and the other guy under the assumption about having made an opinion without playing the game...

I smell a ****ing hyprocrite boys... Grab the torch and pitchforks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had a quick glance at reviews and most don't seem too enthusiastic. It's a shame, beta was great fun but I suppose I do query how much longevity it has. Like Split/Second, I might just wait until it's a wee bit cheaper.

So let me get this straight, you didn't play the s/s demo, made a comment about how s/s is better, than berated me and the other guy under the assumption about having made an opinion without playing the game...

I smell a ****ing hyprocrite boys... Grab the torch and pitchforks.

i didnt play the demo, i have both the full games

i fail to see your point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Had a quick glance at reviews and most don't seem too enthusiastic. It's a shame, beta was great fun but I suppose I do query how much longevity it has. Like Split/Second, I might just wait until it's a wee bit cheaper.

As much as I adored PGR4 (a 10/10 game imho), I just couldn't bring myself to buy Blur. My rental has just dispatched though, so I guess I might still buy it at some point in the future if I decide it's got decent enough longevity/get a major craving to play it again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Whatever about the game, I saw the ad today and thought it was brilliant:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Really enjoying it so far! Plenty of variety, especially online with the various modes...Team Battles are great fun - hope to get a few of them going offline too.

Kudos to the developers for 4 player split screen...AND AI! Would be nice to have the option of AI on or off but still good fun.

Gripes:
    The need to unlock stuff - whatever about cars, etc...having to unlock some of the game modes is a pain - "hey guys, remember Destruction Derby; want something like that.......oh wait, I need three more levels before it's unlocked". Challenges; I feel the same way. Too MW2 style (or WoW in reality) for my liking.

Team Battles: Great mode but being on a winning team should count as a win or something - needs to be more incentive to work as a team and not squabble over top 3 at the end. See too many people bashing into teammates (and for some reason firing bolts). Would be a good one to play with friends (and smaller teams - ten people yelling tactics over mics could be tough!).

There was something else.....but I have forgotten. Definately a good purchase for me :) Really easy to pick up and play too - had friends over yesterday, 3 player split screen and they took to it naturally.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Picked up Blur and Split/Second:Velocity today on a whim and they're different enough to enjoy on their own merits. Blur's multiplayer has more depth than s/s and the cars don't drift as much. Superficial really, they're both ace! I do really like the sound of the friend challenges in Blur though, where you challenge your mates and then they beat it in their own time, nice lazy multiplayer racing ftw! :D

So if any of the first few ppl who weren't moaning about Blur v S/S:V fancy a few challenges or online games just give me an add! Corcaigh ur already in my list but I don't think I've ever played you for some reason :D I'll send you a challenge or two once I'm on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

yea sounds good man. we should get a few boards races going soon, nedved85 joined one of my races there a while ago and cableguy and parawind should be getting it soon as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Picked it up today looking forward to trying it out tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Had a few games of this last night. I am enjoying it. Only had 3 races online and got creamed two times. Now to start leveling up and get a few cars.

Advertisement