Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oranmore dual carriageway

Options
  • 27-05-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Who in the name of allah decided to close the overtaking lane this evening at half four to cut the grass? Have they any marbles at all in city hall? Traffic was backed up the entire stretch. I think the lads themselves soon realised this was a bad idea at a bad time, they had started pulling up the bollards down near oranmore end.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

They'd already started at 12:30 or so. I think it's badly needed and I hope they trim back the trees that are obscuring all the signs on the approach to the Doughiska roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I noticed that alright when I was heading into town at 2pm. They had the lane blocked in both directions. First thing I thought was how mental it would be from 4.30 onwards. There were road works in Clarinbridge today aswell but they had the sense to stop then before 4pm. I know it's work that has to be done but surely there was a better time to do it than the time they actually did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

alibabba wrote: »
    Have they any marbles at all in city hall?

County hall, you mean I think. I know Oranmore SHOULD be in the city, but we've not taken it over yet ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

ive seen this happen more than once before. In my oppinion all the road maintenance and grass cutting should be done after 7 pm and before 6am. and why in gods name do they need to close off the whole lane? The tractor doesnt even need the lane at all!

also, yes it needed to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

couldn't they make a slip road coming off the dual carriageway going into Dunnes/KFC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

JustMary wrote: »
    County hall, you mean I think. I know Oranmore SHOULD be in the city, but we've not taken it over yet ;-)

Just a figure of speech
    You knew what i meant in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

alibabba wrote: »
    Who in the name of allah decided to close the overtaking lane this evening at half four to cut the grass? Have they any marbles at all in city hall? Traffic was backed up the entire stretch. I think the lads themselves soon realised this was a bad idea at a bad time, they had started pulling up the bollards down near oranmore end.

wonder will the coucncilor who was giving out about the state of the grass in the local paper this week take the credit for causing the traffic chaos ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

Aw man, not another bottleneck! Hope there's not too much of this...
    Bad enough the delay in Gort because they've taken up parts of one side of the road.... which will continue until 26th July! Fair enough it has to be done but it is the principal route for all the buses and traffic to get to Clare and Limerick until the bypass and motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

aido179 wrote: »
    ive seen this happen more than once before. In my oppinion all the road maintenance and grass cutting should be done after 7 pm and before 6am. and why in gods name do they need to close off the whole lane? The tractor doesnt even need the lane at all!

also, yes it needed to be done.

For safety. The lane closure creates a buffer zone between high speed traffic and the work crew. Even with the lane closure, it's still a dangerous job what with traffic often travelling well in excess of the 100kmh limit.

I definitely agree that the cut grass cutting and maintenance should be done only at certain off-peak times.

dinneenp wrote: »
    couldn't they make a slip road coming off the dual carriageway going into Dunnes/KFC?

There are many other road improvements around Galway which would be much more worthy of spending than that.

Advertisement