Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy living in a hut on a tidal island near fota ?

Options
  • 27-05-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Just off the dual carrigeway coming from fota to little island , i think its before the train line , if you look towards fota island there is a irish flag on a pole , if you arent driving look back and on the other side of the mound of earth is a hut with a washing line , a boat and other bits and pieces
    Anyone know what the story is with this ????
    There was stuff on the washing line one day ,and gone the next so someone is there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Just off the dual carrigeway coming from fota to little island , i think its before the train line , if you look towards fota island there is a irish flag on a pole , if you arent driving look back and on the other side of the mound of earth is a hut with a washing line , a boat and other bits and pieces
    Anyone know what the story is with this ????
    There was stuff on the washing line one day ,and gone the next so someone is there
    Yeah there is a guy living there all right, One of the guys from 96fm went out and interviewed him one day . Think he use to squat in cobh somewhere but was moved on because the residents didn't like it. He made that boat himself that you saw and has a little generator out on the island to keep himself going. He has a brother living in the city so i don't understand why he has to resort to living out there although on the radio he seemed more than happy with his life out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

played in fota last week and saw it ! the girl i was with had the story that he cant get on the council housing list and is living in the island as a form of protest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

played in fota last week and saw it ! the girl i was with had the story that he cant get on the council housing list and is living in the island as a form of protest

Fair play to him! Protest is something most irish perople feel is beneath them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

According to this article he had been on the housing list for years but was never given anywhere to live.

I never knew that he had been offered rent free accomodation but he turned it down to keep his protest going.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yeah there is a guy living there all right, One of the guys from 96fm went out and interviewed him one day . Think he use to squat in cobh somewhere but was moved on because the residents didn't like it. H emade that bot himself that you saw and has a little generator out on the island to keep himself going. He has a brother living in the city so i don't understand why he has to resort to living out there although on the radio he seemed more than happy with his life out there.

I would be willing to bet he just likes living like that, not that he is resorting to it. There are alot of people who like the simplistic squatter lifestyle.

There are guys living on houseboats in Dublin harbour like, I haven't seen the hut, but I would bet the guy just likes how he lives....

...or he's the next Unabomber! haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

if its another harsh winter i bet he will start to change his mind then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Thanks. I noticed this passing recently and meant to ask about it.

Looks like a nice spot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

just noticed that the article in the examiner is from the 25th march, so that guy has been living there for a few months now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

suppafly wrote: »
    just noticed that the article in the examiner is from the 25th march, so that guy has been living there for a few months now!

He doesn't owe millions to any one, probably the only debt free person in Ireland, does not annoy his neighbours, if he is happy then thats ok too. Why did people in Cobh not want him ,is Cobh utopia?

Advertisement