Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most fuel efficient Petrol Cars?

• 27-05-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Preferably with a 1.3 - 1.6L Engine.

Id obviously prefer a diesel but cant afford one on my budget. Cant afford to be paying the high tax on a 1.9 / 2L Diesel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Used i presume. What year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

From experience of rental cars.. 1.2 Punto is good, Corsa 1.2 was not. I had a Gold 1.4 last week.. that did 50mpg on a mixed run (but at least 200 miles on the motorway).. and TBH it was okay, nice in fact - everyone seems to slate them on here for some reason.

Carina 1.6 Leanburn are fuel misers... but try and find a nice one these days, it's hard.

A 1.4vvti corolla returns decent fuel economy & its not a little lunchbox on wheels & comfortable on long trips. I currently own one.

Expect up to 50mpg if you're very gentle on the accelerator, the tyres are at their correct psi rating (32psi) & the car is serviced regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Only looking for a run around tbh. Something to get me to and from work and around a bit at the weekends. €1500 max is all im looking to spend.

I have a 99 2L Octavia Diesel but the tax arrears are killing me. Id nearly cut my losses at this stage and get rid. Every month adds another €70 or so to the arrears.

Im tempted to get rid and buy something smaller, tax it for the year and start fresh.

• Advertisement

Rob113 wrote: »
    Only looking for a run around tbh. Something to get me to and from work and around a bit at the weekends. €1500 max is all im looking to spend.

I have a 99 2L Octavia Diesel but the tax arrears are killing me. Id nearly cut my losses at this stage and get rid. Every month adds another €70 or so to the arrears.

Im tempted to get rid and buy something smaller, tax it for the year and start fresh.

Got my corolla for 1600 euro last month. Taxed for a few months & freshly nct'd. Bargain.:D

Donedeal.ie is your only man.

Downsized from a Hilux surf, could'nt afford the fuel costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

si_guru wrote: »
    From experience of rental cars.. 1.2 Punto is good, Corsa 1.2 was not. I had a Gold 1.4 last week.. that did 50mpg on a mixed run (but at least 200 miles on the motorway).. and TBH it was okay, nice in fact - everyone seems to slate them on here for some reason.

Carina 1.6 Leanburn are fuel misers... but try and find a nice one these days, it's hard.

GOLF... not gold... frigging fat fingers.

Got my corolla for 1600 euro last month. Taxed for a few months & freshly nct'd. Bargain.:D

Donedeal.ie is your only man.

Downsized from a Hilux surf, could'nt afford the fuel costs.

Whats the corolla like on the juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

my sis-in-law is (I think) selling her 97 1.3 Xli Corolla. I had it for a while, and iirc, it was doing 45 - 50mpg .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Whats the corolla like on the juice.

Very good really but it wouldn't be as good as a diesel octavia on long trips. But around town i reckon it would do better fuel economy.

Tax for the corolla is only 320 a year though & servicing frequency/costs would be lower for the 1.4 petrol engine.

I put 20 euros of petrol in her on saturday & i still haven't topped up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..why, will it not start ?? :p:p

just kidding, btw....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Very good really but it wouldn't be as good as a diesel octavia on long trips. But around town i reckon it would do better fuel economy.

Tax for the corolla is only 320 a year though & servicing frequency/costs would be lower for the 1.4 petrol engine.

Its the tax situation that appeals to me. 50mpg is fairly good too for a petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If tax is a priority then there are lots of 1.0-1.2 litre small cars available. If you want something a little bigger the Opel Astra from 98-04 came in a 1.2 version which had the same power output as a 1.4 Focus or Golf. I don't know what mpg the 1.2 Astra does, I'd imagine for driving around town it would be good but not so good at 120 km/h on a motorway.

The Renault Megane 1.4 16v is an economical car, similar power, weight and economy to the Corollas that were mentioned. 50 mpg can be achieved without driving like a nun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

get a 1.7 turbo diesel astra,cheap enough road tax and does 650-700 miles to a tank of diesel

50mpg absolute max fuel economy i'd say you'd get. Thing is, its a nippy enough car. 94bhp ain't bad from a 1.4!

Similar cars combined fuel economy/bhp figures: 2000 mazda 323 1.5 (86bhp) 38mpg _ 2000 Honda civic 1.4 (90bhp) 37mpg _ 2000 Corolla 1.4 vvti (94bhp) 42mpg.

Renault megane 1.4 (75bhp!!) 42mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Id really doubt these figures tbh,

The quoted mpg for this car is 41 for mixed driving, to get 50mpg would be pretty damn difficult.

I have one of these and the trip meter averages ~35mpg. That's mixed between country roads and city driving. It used to show 39mpg when I got it (previous owner did a lot of dual carriageway driving and was a very slow/careful driver).

Redisle wrote: »
    Id really doubt these figures tbh,

The quoted mpg for this car is 41 for mixed driving, to get 50mpg would be pretty damn difficult.

I have one of these and the trip meter averages ~35mpg. That's mixed between country roads and city driving. It used to show 39mpg when I got it (previous owner did a lot of dual carriageway driving and was a very slow/careful driver).

Got 305 miles out of 30L of petrol with my corolla last week. Works out around 45mpg.

And thats without driving in a very frugal manner.:)

Thing is, the OP's current car will still do better mpg than any of these smallish petrol engines?

Renault megane 1.4 (75bhp!!) 42mpg.
    That's the 8v engine, there's also a 1.4 16v with 95 bhp which IME is slightly more economical than the 8v

BrianD3 wrote: »
    That's the 8v engine, there's also a 1.4 16v with 95 bhp which IME is slightly more economical than the 8v

What year was that introduced?

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If tax is a priority then there are lots of 1.0-1.2 litre small cars available. If you want something a little bigger the Opel Astra from 98-04 came in a 1.2 version which had the same power output as a 1.4 Focus or Golf. I don't know what mpg the 1.2 Astra does, I'd imagine for driving around town it would be good but not so good at 120 km/h on a motorway.

The Renault Megane 1.4 16v is an economical car, similar power, weight and economy to the Corollas that were mentioned. 50 mpg can be achieved without driving like a nun.

I was looking at the meganes alright. Thanks for that. Im living in laois and from Dublin so i do be travelling long distances fairly regular so i need something with a bit of power. The Megane would prob be ideal.

• Advertisement

What year was that introduced?
    1999 with the facelift Megane I.

OP if you could stretch your budget to a 2001 1.4 honda civic it gets 44mpg combined!!

Well looks like a 10yr old 1.4 corolla or megane are pretty much the most frugal cars in your budget.

IMO if you went for a 1.0 or 1.2 you will regret it in the long run as they would be a headache on longer trips.

Thanks for all the help lads. Next job is trying to talk one of the garages into doing a swap - my 2L Diesel Octavia for one of their fuel efficient smaller engine petrol cars. What are my chances??

Thanks for all the help lads. Next job is trying to talk one of the garages into doing a swap - my 2L Diesel Octavia for one of their fuel efficient smaller engine petrol cars. What are my chances??

Not an effing chance mate. Do you mean just a direct swap, no cash?

Dealers want cash either from a straight sale or a trade-in.

Sell your car online. Any dealer will give you a pityful amount of money for your octavia.

I was offered E1250 on a trade in for my hilux surf.:rolleyes: I ended up selling it for E3100.:)

Not an effing chance mate. Do you mean just a direct swap, no cash?

Dealers want cash either from a straight sale or a trade-in.

Sell your car online. Any dealer will give you a pityful amount of money for your octavia.

I was offered E1250 on a trade in for my hilux surf.:rolleyes: I ended up selling it for E3100.:)

thought as much. Goodnight and thanks for your help.:)

Advertisement