Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Issue with SIgma lens

• 27-05-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

So, finally upgraded to Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens and got it from pixmania.

It has quite a strong front focus... with my 7D microadjust function I had to set it to max value of + 20 units! So I can use it no problem on this camera. However I am still not happy about this.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Should I contact local Sigma repair center?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Heard this a bit, might be worth sending it back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

You see, I really want this lens. If I send it back and ask for another copy that one might have the same issue again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

If your happy with a +20 lens then I suppose you can get by with it. I only mean to send that copy back for calibration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Deliasz

same lens +5 with 50D so it's not really bad. But im not 100% that this is accurate .

I contacted Hahnel Industries Ltd in Cork, who are the Sigma repair centre in Ireland and they offered to adjust the lens under warranty. I just wish they were in Dublin, so I could just drop it in instead of posting lens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how long have you had the lens? if it's less than 30 days, you're entitled to a replacement, afaik.

From what I know Sigma have 2yrs warranty or extended 3 yrs.
    Let me know what they told you ;)

Can you also tell me how you checked this ff/bf. I'm just wondering if im chekin this right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

hey Sasar - this is probably not what you want to hear ... but ... i am now the proud owner of no Sigma lenses - i had 2 and both had issues with focusing - in the end I just had to shell out the extra bobs for the Nikon equivalent

sasar living near dublin ? we can compare those lenses on two different bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

I recently bought a Sigma 10-20mm from a local bricks and mortar store at about 5:50pm one evening. I took it home & was completely dissatisfied with it, very poor focus at both the wide and long ends.
    I returned it first thing the following morning but they had no replacements in stock so I was told I had to wait until it was inspected by Sigma before I could get a refund.
    Hahnel inspeced it & said that it "exhibited some front focusing but was within limits".
    I got a credit note from the shop & got a Canon 10-22mm instead - the shop did give me a relatively good deal on it to be fair to them.

Moral of the story for me:
    1. Never buy another Sigma lens
    2. Always buy online in the EU where I have a two week no questions asked return period.

• Advertisement

how long have you had the lens? if it's less than 30 days, you're entitled to a replacement, afaik.

I received it yesterday. I know I could get a replacement, but as it is a online shop I cannot test the lens, so I might end up getting quite a few samples before I'm happy.
    Deliasz wrote: »
    From what I know Sigma have 2yrs warranty or extended 3 yrs.
    Let me know what they told you ;)

Can you also tell me how you checked this ff/bf. I'm just wondering if im chekin this right way.

I have a warranty, that's not an issue in this case.
    In relation to focus testing, check this: http://photo.net/learn/focustest/

thebaz wrote: »
    hey Sasar - this is probably not what you want to hear ... but ... i am now the proud owner of no Sigma lenses - i had 2 and both had issues with focusing - in the end I just had to shell out the extra bobs for the Nikon equivalent

Yeah, I've heard about issues with sigma lenses... however this 50mm 1.4 is better than canon 50mm 1.4 (sharper and AF motor doesn't tend to break)
    So far this is the only sigma I have, but I have also ordered 70-200 2.8 - can't wait to receive & test it.

Deliasz wrote: »
    sasar living near dublin ? we can compare those lenses on two different bodies.

I also have a 450D and it's the same issue.
    I just took a photo of an object that was 45cm away and focus was 2cm off!:eek:

Ok having different body is one thing but other sample of same lens could help to find some good solution.

Remember one thing. Sometimes settinf for MA are not working after changing lens. I've tested ff/bf on 3 different lenses and nothing changed.

I set MA to max value and that helped a lot, I also took the lens off and put it back on - all settings are still there.
    I just did a quick google search on this issue and there are loads of people having the same issue with this lens.

I know one person with 5dII and he have no issue at all. So there are some good examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

air wrote: »
    I recently bought a Sigma 10-20mm from a local bricks and mortar store at about 5:50pm one evening. I took it home & was completely dissatisfied with it, very poor focus at both the wide and long ends.

=-=

2. Always buy online in the EU where I have a two week no questions asked return period.
    Unless I'm missing somethhing, iIf the product is broken, and you have reciept of purchase you should have just gotten a cash refund, esp as it was only a day old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭air

I would have thought the same to be honest, however the situation that I was in was one in which the manufacturer claimed the product was of an acceptable standard. The shop was not willing to give a refund and my only other option was to go to the small claims court where I would have had to prove through an independent witness or something that the lens was not of merchantable quality.
    I did feel well & truly shafted to be honest but in the end I just took the credit note & bought the Canon so that I would at least have something of use.
    To put the performance of the lens into perspective, it was no better at 18mm than a crap Canon 18-55 kit lens that I bought 2nd hand on adverts over a year ago.
    At 10mm it had inferior resolution to an 8mm FE lens that I have.

Advertisement