Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warehouse Express no longer shipping to Ireland

• 27-05-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just noted that Warehouse express are not shipping outside the UK :( - any idea why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I noticed that the last time I was on their site, no idea why unless its something to do with changes in UK postal rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

or is it more to do with the weee regulations thingy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

weee regulations thingy?

weee is the electrical recycling thing

where suppliers are obliged to recycle things for customers

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Thin White Duck

Not sure why they're not shipping any more as they were until very recently but try Park Cameras. I've always found them very reliable - prices and range almost identical to Warehouse Express. WE have the better website but Park have the edge on customer service in my experience.

• Advertisement

but the best thing is, warehouseexpress has a shop in norwich, i am going again in the summer, mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

The joys of having connections in Norwich :D

ooohhhhh yeaaaaa:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Whats the handiest way to get to Norwich!

well my parents and in laws live near there so i go when i am visiting

but you could fly into norwich

• Advertisement

stcstc wrote: »
    well my parents and in laws live near there so i go when i am visiting

but you could fly into norwich

Cool, didnt even know there was an airport there

the issue will be that getting from the airport to the shop etc, its on the outskits, not in the city centre

the issue will be that getting from the airport to the shop etc, its on the outskits, not in the city centre

Cool, cheers for th einfo. It be a long time before I can afford any gear so wont have to worry about it for a while :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

last time i looked at their site and from what i could remember they were charging something like £35 Stg for delivery, even for smaller items. Obviously the market here wasn't worth it to them. Still theres others that are as competitive or cheaper that will deliver and at fairer rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Their shipping prices wer ridiculous anyway....£52 to send an 85mm 1.8 to Belfast last January.....I said no thanks! No real loss with those shipping prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

holey ja moley... ah Hong Kong is cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

I always tend to think that these things come in to play because of fraud, people that say the goods didn't arrive etc. I meet a few of these A-holes that think they're clever with their petty gains. Then I think Ireland has some clause in the distant selling directive that the supplier must pay the postage if the item is returned which p*s the seller off.

kensutz wrote: »
    The joys of having connections in Norwich :D
    How would you like to have a gorgeous flight attendant that flies in and out of New York and doesn't mind stopping by B&H :p.
    I already have a savings jar marked 1Ds mk IV :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

trishw78 wrote: »
    holey ja moley... ah Hong Kong is cheaper

Can you recommend an online store in Hong Kong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

bedlam wrote: »
    Warehouse Express have just announce they are shipping to mainland Europe (incl Ireland) again.
    Yeehaw!

Btw Calumet are now asking for a vat no. to ship to the republic. ***wipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

dont be avoiding or trying to avoid paying VAT

if you can afford the equipment pay your share

Prices in Ireland are not that far off, here's an example:
    Nikon 70-300 F4.5 - 5.6G

'sticker price' bricks and mortar Dublin €550

same lens Warehouse Express £418 + shipping charge £20-£35)

That puts the warehouse express price at anything from €533 - €551 delivered

so, possible best case scenario is a saving of €17 (they dont advise if the shipping cost is in the lower or higher part of the range) and thats before you haggle in the bricks and mortar

Support Irish jobs !

• Advertisement

Barname wrote: »
    dont be avoiding or trying to avoid paying VAT

if you can afford the equipment pay your share

Prices in Ireland are not that far off, here's an example:
    Nikon 70-300 F4.5 - 5.6G

'sticker price' bricks and mortar Dublin €550

same lens Warehouse Express £418 + shipping charge £20-£35)

That puts the warehouse express price at anything from €533 - €551 delivered

so, possible best case scenario is a saving of €17 (they dont advise if the shipping cost is in the lower or higher part of the range) and thats before you haggle in the bricks and mortar

Support Irish jobs !
    Steady on I'm not out to commit vat fraud, I've deregistered thanks to the recession, it used to be that you'd pay the foreign rate but something has changed and it seems to be stifling the common market.

Prices are not that far off, true, I doubt the extra margin here is needed to keep jobs but goes to the owner so they can drive a bigger car and live in a bigger house than me. If you're going to appeal for altruism ask the owners to quit being so greedy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

democrates wrote: »
    Prices are not that far off, true, I doubt the extra margin here is needed to keep jobs but goes to the owner so they can drive a bigger car and live in a bigger house than me.
    or run a shop which has to pay high street rental costs and employ people who have to be able to deal with customers coming in and handling stock - buffer stock which they have to pay for - rather than basing in a warehouse in an industrial estate on the outskirts of the city and not needing staff to deal with customers who won't end up buying.

or run a shop which has to pay high street rental costs and employ people who have to be able to deal with customers coming in and handling stock - buffer stock which they have to pay for - rather than basing in a warehouse in an industrial estate on the outskirts of the city and not needing staff to deal with customers who won't end up buying.
    Landlords should quit being so greedy too!

The fact is the business model has changed for CE retail, travel into town versus an online order with warehouse express et al who deliver the identical product to my door, and cheaper because it's logistically more efficient. Do we really need tuition and love from retailers? Wanting something today is the only reason I pay the extra margin now.

I am not sure its quite as simple as everyone just wants to buy from box shifters.

I think there are still a large number of consumers who are willing to pay a little more to be able to not only get the product locally but also get the service and support from those local suppliers

My parents for example need to have a pc, they generally buy them from the local pc world, are willing to pay that little bit more so if something is wrong they either ring or go in with it. they have for example paid for memory upgrades in pc world. not the cheapest but far easier for them than trying to figure something else out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

democrates wrote: »
    Steady on I'm not out to commit vat fraud, I've deregistered thanks to the recession, it used to be that you'd pay the foreign rate but something has changed and it seems to be stifling the common market.

Afaik if a retailer does a big enough volume of business in a particular state then they have to be vat registered in that state. Amazon.co.uk does the same thing. For smaller or incidental sellers they pay vote in their country of origin and so charge whatever their local rate is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I am not sure its quite as simple as everyone just wants to buy from box shifters.
    yep, i'm willing to pay the slight premium buying from a bricks and mortar store, who have then offered me discounts and free loans as a result of being a regular customer.

Holy moley.
    Canon 50mm f1.2 L price check:

Warehouse Express £1303.99 = €1594.02 excluding shipping
    Bermingham Cameras €1549 excluding haggling

Hey Warehouse Express, 2006 called and want their irrational exhuberance back :pac:

Edit: Henceforth they shall be known as Whorehouse Expense, because you'd get shafted

Advertisement