Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

99 Clio, thoughts?

• 27-05-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi, I've been lurking this forum for a while now and have to say it's been really informative and have got a few laughs as well. :)
    Time for my first post...

So, I'm on my learner's permit and getting my first car soon. Saw a 99 Clio today that I really like. It looks clean, no dents or major scratches and getting a new timing belt, wheel bearing and a service before I pick it up.

Getting a good price for it, 1.4, 67K miles and long nct.

Would like your opinions on it. I think it's a good deal. Anything to be aware of with Clios in particular?

All comments appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think the Clio is generally Renault's best car. My wife had a 99 one and it was a great car. It was a smaller engine though, so can't comment on the 1.4. It seemed pretty well specced and was nippy enough.

I think there might have been a model change around 1999 though - so I don't know if we're talking about the same model.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

eoin wrote: »

I think there might have been a model change around 1999 though - so I don't know if we're talking about the same model.

Hmmm, not sure of the model actually....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clio 2 was from 98 so its the same one alright. The original Clio was the boxy one from 92 on (iirc)

Clio 1
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200904191552416

Clio 2
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200936195125943

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Did the clio2 have a dodgy bonnet release?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cbmonstra wrote: »
    Hi, I've been lurking this forum for a while now and have to say it's been really informative and have got a few laughs as well. :)
    Time for my first post...

So, I'm on my learner's permit and getting my first car soon. Saw a 99 Clio today that I really like. It looks clean, no dents or major scratches and getting a new timing belt, wheel bearing and a service before I pick it up.

Getting a good price for it, 1.4, 67K miles and long nct.

Would like your opinions on it. I think it's a good deal. Anything to be aware of with Clios in particular?

All comments appreciated, thanks!
    You haven't mentioned the price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bigus wrote: »

This is better value considering it will have some sort of warranty, a fresh NCT and a year younger:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201018197841403

or this facelifted model:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201008197013618

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Regarding price... It's 850.00euro and it's a garage I'm getting it from so I will have some come back I guess, maybe 3 months?

Also my sister is friendly with the guy selling it to me, so I'll know where to find him if anything goes wrong :D

I think 850 is a pretty good deal...Some of the absolute sh*te I've seen out there for that price makes me think I should grab the keys and run...

So no major things I should be aware of when buying then? Just the dodgy bonnet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

You'll buy a decent Fiesta for that money, gearboxes are a big problem with those Clios, I know I wouldn't buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I had a clio for my first car and to this day it's still the best small car i've ever driven.

Advice though:

- Try and get the "dynamic" (also spelt "dynamique") model. It's still a 1.2L, but it has 10 more bhp than the standard (makes a difference with such a small car), and also has the best looking body on it.

- I dont know what your price range is, but if you're thinking around the ~€5000 mark, there's LOADS of mint 2004 dynamics about.

e.g. this

and this

or there's ~€3000 2002 dynamics here and here

edit: sorry, only saw your price range there! Thing to remember is though, with an older one you could end up spending more on repairs and maintanence in the long run. I'd still consider stretching your budget for a slightly newer one just for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

squod wrote: »
    Did the clio2 have a dodgy bonnet release?

It did. Was covered on BBC's "Watchdog". Bonnet could fly open when driving, smashing the windscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

The bonnet was a major recall on this model Clio, recall was done about a year or 2 back, should be sorted on all cars as it was a free fix at the time. Check the service history. I don't have a bad word to say about the 99 Clio, I have had one for over 5 years with no issues other than regular maintenance stuff. Most reliable Renault ever made IMO. Signing the scrappage authorisation yesterday for the Clio was tough, still a good car even with 103K miles. Got a new Fiesta to replace it.

Advertisement