Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHD grants and carer's allowance

Options
  • 27-05-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just wondering if it is feasible (or legal) to apply for a higher education grant plus maintenance etc. whilst receiving a carer's allowance. Looking at starting a PHD in October but am worried that this might result in the allowance being discontinued or if kept I could end up being worse off by having to pay fees etc. Can't seem to get a clear answer. One person has suggested I'd get grant, full maintenance and keep carer's allowance although I somehow doubt this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Yes, it is possible - I am in receipt of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sharkface

So Leopardi, you are getting fees and full maintenance grant plus carer's allowance? That adds up to a tidy sum for a student, equivalent to a full IRCHSS scholarship/funding. I must look into this asap as having sufficient money would be critical in my decision whether to pursue PHD or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

Yes, it's certainly a financially attractive package, but the assumption is that you will prioritise your duties as a carer over your Ph.D. work. The obvious issues being proximity to your college and hours spent attending seminars etc. I'm sorry I don't have more specific details to hand, but you should have no problem getting the allowance along with the grant, providing you can work almost exclusively from home.

Advertisement