Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheridans on the Docks

Options
  • 27-05-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Sheridans is closed this evening.

Sign on the door saying "due to unforeseen circumstances."

Anyone know what the story is?

Is it closed for good?

Comments

http://www.sheridansonthedocks.com/
    Same note on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

The website cites 'Technical difficulties'

Maybe there was some issue with the kitchens or something. Milanos had to close before when their ovens broke down; They were open again the following evening once the problem was sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

That's alright for me if they're closing (never liked the place or people there), as long as it's not the cheese mongers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

That's alright for me if they're closing (never liked the place or people there), as long as it's not the cheese mongers!

Classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

funnyname wrote: »
    Classy!

Ah charging the prices that they were, there is no harm in a bit of schadenfreude on this one. Screw 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

I for one have eaten in the restaurant several times and always enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Bring back padraicin's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

skelliser wrote: »
    Bring back padraicin's!!
    Still going strong in Furbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I for one have eaten in the restaurant several times and always enjoyed it.
    best in Galway since it opened imo

real shame if it's closed, hopefully it's nothing serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Something to do with the landlord wanting the place for himself now that they have built the business up and a late licence apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BoogieBill

Sad to hear about this.Always found the place under Seamus and Miriam a welcome refuge from the faceless and moneygrabbing bars and restaurants around Galway.The staff were always friendly and knowledgable about the wines,beers and the food in the restaurant was world class.Hope its only a minor setback.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

plus there were one or two seriously hawt bar maids

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's alright for me if they're closing

Are Sheridans not a home grown Galwegian success story? Their cheeses are all over the country, is this begrudging at it's best? I hope they are surviving well.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The food was very expensive, pretentious and not all that nice IMO.

They tried to charge 4.50 for a tiny chocolate brownie (like 1.5" cubed) not too long ago, ridiculous price!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Are Sheridans not a home grown Galwegian success story? Their cheeses are all over the country, is this begrudging at it's best? I hope they are surviving well.

they're blowins from Dublin...but have been around for a good few years. Sad to see it go all the same...Bar 8 is taking the pickup judging by the last few nights....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

not begrudging at all... i simply have no interest but thought thread might have also included the cheese mongers closing.

have been in there a couple of times, didn't have a great experience, so it makes no difference to me if they are open or closed. Sure, sad to see another business close not like they're my best friends or anything or that the owners will slit their throats to my comment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Have always found the food downstairs very reasonable, and love the selection of wine and beer. One of a handful of businesses in Galway that I would really miss. I really hope they'll be up and running again soon.

Having said that, the upstairs restaurant is pricey, and last time I was there the waiter was so rude I'd have sworn we were on Candid Camera. Strange, as I've never had anything but good service downstairs.

they're blowins from...

Doesn't matter where they are from, Nigeria, Italy, China, Dublin, the profits are going straight in to the country. You don't hear restaurateurs from outside Dublin being called "blowins" in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

Doesn't matter where they are from, Nigeria, Italy, China, Dublin, the profits are going straight in to the country. You don't hear restaurateurs from outside Dublin being called "blowins" in Dublin.

it was my response to the statement that they were a local success story. Galway will always be a bit different and luveen, for the record, you'll always be a blowin if you werent born here...

have to agree with comments on the staff in the restaurant...incredibly rude and pretentious...with the exception of Seamus and the charming Gerry! The cheese and meat platter was a bit pricey downstairs but used to love it...it's annoying that it's gone...found myself with one less pub to visit last friday.

Galway will always be a bit different and luveen, for the record, you'll always be a blowin if you werent born here...

"luveen"... you have to be born here... That's very patronising.

Is it this attitude that holds the city back so much? Other cities welcome people setting up shop to improve the cities. I can see that vibe running through the other thread about how expensive it is to eat in Galway, I guess as long as this prevails Galway will always tail behind Irelands cities in this department. It's a shame, cause it's such a nice city with so much potential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Is it this attitude that holds the city back so much? Other cities welcome people setting up shop to improve the cities. I can see that vibe running through the other thread about how expensive it is to eat in Galway, I guess as long as this prevails Galway will always tail behind Irelands cities in this department. It's a shame, cause it's such a nice city with so much potential.

I think that's a bit of a generalisation tbh. Two threads on Boards is not equal to the public opinion overall of Galway City inhabitants. Certainly not mine..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Loveen is quite commonly used. It's blow-ins here, culchies over there. Just a way of saying "not local".
    I wasn't aware Galway was held back nor trailing behind Limerick, Waterford, Dublin or Cork.
    It seems to be very popular is Best City polls in After Hours an also rates higher than any other Irish city/town internationally.
    Maybe down to our many festivals and the races (ponies/boats)

Sure Galway needs improvement but so far I think things are going quite well.
    I've been to 30 counties and all major cities and towns several times and besides Belfast Galway is by far the best place to be.
    Do come visit.

I'm a blow-in btw.

This has gone way too off-topic. Does anyone has news about "Sheridans on the Docks"?

biko wrote: »
    I wasn't aware Galway was held back nor trailing behind Limerick, Waterford, Dublin or Cork.
    It seems to be very popular is Best City polls in After Hours an also rates higher than any other Irish city/town internationally.
    Maybe down to our many festivals and the races (ponies/boats)

Eh, easy tiger, read my post again.
    I guess as long as this prevails Galway will always tail behind Irelands cities in this department. It's a shame, cause it's such a nice city

I am just talking about the lack of reasonable food to be got at a good price. I am not local, but I visit Galway a lot and I think it's a fantastic city. No need for the knee jerk responce!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Have to say, I won't be too sad to see it go.

The few times that I've been there, the staff have been unbelievably rude and ignorant. Embarrassing actually; as on once occasion I'd brought guests from out of town there - it was a major inconvenience on a quiet afternoon for one member of staff to have to explain a little bit more clearly to a person for whom English wasn't their first language!

This, coupled with outrageous prices. The cheese and charcuterie platter is smaller and twice the price of at least three places I can think of in Dublin, and no better quality for it.

I heard great/amazing things about the restaurant upstairs, but based on my experience downstairs I never ventured up to it.

Good luck to whomever takes it over. Great location and hopefully they'll set some realistic prices and hire some staff with basic manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

they're blowins from Dublin...but have been around for a good few years.

Miriam is originally from Renmore and currently teaches in Shantalla primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Shame its gone and I hope the restaurant opens up somewhere else soon, though the location will be hard to beat, whenever had been there the staff upstairs were great, even got free champagne when by luck happened to be there on their first birthday.
    Food was of excellent quality they were able to tell you the provenance of the food, care was taken with presentation and most importantly the quality of ingredients and cooking was excellent. Things that are sadly lacking in most Galway restaurants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 frufru

"Food was of excellent quality they were able to tell you the provenance of the food, care was taken with presentation and most importantly the quality of ingredients and cooking was excellent. Things that are sadly lacking in most Galway restaurants "totally agree 100% with that.

and their guinness was savage! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Dey tuk are jerbs.

Damn, I have a voucher for Sheridans that I was hoping to use this month. Pity to see it go, great Irish menu and a wonderful selection of food. Oh well...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Maybe they'll let you use it in one of their other shops/bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The city tribune had the story today.
    The landlord has thrown them out, they say they are a few months behind in the rent but it's not about that.
    Part of the terms of the lease was that the early license and the regular license be maintained, Sheridans however did not renew the early license as they didn't want to open early.
    Under the licensing laws once the early license is allowed to run out a new one cannot be applied for, so the days of the early house in the docks are now over.
    The landlord as a result has thrown them out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement