Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod/iTunes problem

• 27-05-2010 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey,
    I just got a new laptop and wanted to use idump to copy all the files from my ipod onto my laptop and then put them into itunes, rather than have to start downloading all the music again (would take AGES!) but for some reason idump wont work and other versions i've tried won't detect my ipod. I'm presuming that this is either to do with the fact that the laptop has windows 7 or that my ipod is the 5th generation one... Does anyone know of any other way i could transfer my music from my ipod to my laptop??
    Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Does your new laptop have 64 bit Windows? If so, have you downloaded the newest version of iTunes (64 bit version)?

The first thing to try is resetting the iPod. Just hold the menu and select buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Then connect it as normal and see does it work.

Also, try this page's advice...

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/19171/My_iTunes_is_not_recognizing_my_iPod_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deiseash

Thanks brophs, I checked and do have the 64 bit version of itunes, my problem is that i want to get my music from my ipod on to my laptop, because once I let my ipod sync with my itunes I'll lose it all! :( Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Well if you connect your iPod to the new laptop and start iTunes it will let you transfer any purchased music onto the new laptop library. You will have to authorise the new laptop to play your iTunes anyway. Thats a start.

Then go into My Computer, into your hard drive, find the iTunes folder and look for the music files. Copy/transfer these to an external hard drive or direct to the new laptop. Then on the new laptop transfer them INTO the iTunes music folder or have iTunes search and transfer all music on the laptop into the correct iTunes folder.

Have done this twice with my iTunes (PC to laptop then after reformatting the laptop) Worked fine.

Advertisement