Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Remote Broken

Options
  • 27-05-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Got sky+ back in December and the remote has just stopped working.

The red light doesnt come on when a button is pressed and it will not change the volume on the TV. I have changed the batteries but no joy.

Rang Sky today and they said that remotes are not covered by warranty and we would have to buy a new one. The remote isnt even 6 months old and I feel it should have lasted longer than that.

So, does anybody know what the story is here are we entitled to the 3 r's?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

Chiron wrote: »

The red light doesnt come on when a button is pressed and it will not change the volume on the TV. I have changed the batteries but no joy.

Rang Sky today and they said that remotes are not covered by warranty and we would have to buy a new one. The remote isnt even 6 months old and I feel it should have lasted longer than that.

You should find one cheapish, about 10 euro on ebay
    and I know they are sold for that at fairyhouse Sunday market.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Groucho2000

Of course it should be covered. Its part of the equipment you purchased from them. I would write back to them and demand a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Chiron wrote: »

Call them back and tell them if they don't replace the remote free of charge, you will cancel your account and take your business elsewhere.

'Cancel' is the magic word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless it was broken due to physical damage, the remote should be covered by warranty and statutory rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Smart Guy

Same happened mine. You can get a replacement remote in the €2 euro chain of shops and they work perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

The same thing happened my remote red light on it stopped working etc.- so i got new batteries No Joy either Until i re programmed the remote to the tv... then it start working again :)...
    The sky+ remote is known to stop working sometimes but if you fiddle around with the batteries 75% of the time it wil work.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Chiron

Thanks for all of the replies.

The unit was never mistreated it just stopped working.

I know they can be bought fairly cheaply but its the principle of it really.

I'll call them back and tell them I want a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I really think your better off biting the bullet and buying one. They could quite easily ask you to send the old one back so a "technician" can determine that it hasn't been misused before they send you a new one. Wouldn't be worth the agro of having to go for a couple of weeks without a remote

• Registered Users Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm sure that those robbers at Sky can afford to send out a new one, the amount of dosh they squeeze out of us suckers happy customers.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sky remotes are generally very sturdy. Mine has taken serious damage from a toddler and still works. There must be 10m+ of them in active use, so Sky need to make sure they are generally well made. I think you just got unlucky, but at least they are very cheap to replace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

15 euro for genuine remote in power city

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

this happened to me many moons ago, they also tried the 'not covered' but I did not let them away with it, I arranged to buy a new one myself and then send the invoice to sky for credit on my account, stand up for your rights

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement