Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIXAWIN SCAM!!!

• 27-05-2010 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I just received a text message from 'WIXAWIN'. I had never even heard of wixawin but with some research I found out it is a total scam. They lure people in by telling them they can win prizes, so people do a survey or subscribe to them by giving their mobile number. They then receive 8 "questions" a month at 2E each. I have never heard of wixawin and I did NOT ever give my mobile number away. The txt had a pin number in it and it said "enter this pin number to get the result of our IQ test". I did not dare do this, however, I did text stop to ensure I had been unsubscribed.

I am afraid that somebody else used my mobile number or somehow wixawin got hold of it. I emailed them but probably won't get a reply until tomorrow or so. Has this happened to anybody else or has anybody had any problems with wixawin??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

These services are regulated by RegTel. If you don't get a response from Wixawin, then contact RegTel through their website. There are strong penalties for companies found to be in breech of rules, such as cold-calling/texting, failing to unsubscribe when requested or not revealing how they got your details in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cami

Thanks very much! I got a reply and they said Im not subscribed to anything and wont get any more messages.

As to how they got my number, they said it was entered onto the website! So I can only guess some weird person used my number for some reason. I Have no idea who or why, obviously someone I know....but nothing to worry about now I guess that im not subscribed to anything.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I'm just after getting a Wixawin SMS this morning. I don't enter services like this.

Can I get a service blocked without contacting the likes of Wixawin?

Worried this might lead to being subscribed against my will. I haven't answered or acknowledged the SMS.

Body of SMS:
    FreeMsg: Your PIN XXXX. Enter this pin 4 a chance to win & join the Wixawin content service. €6/week. 18+ only. To unsubscribe txt stop to XXXXX. Info:wixawin.co

Sender:XXXXX

The wixawin.co isn't a typo by myself, that's how it is on the SMS.. odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Did you send any texts into any radio stations ?
    I did this about a year or two back and found myself getting expensive texts from some random company. Apparently the radiostation and the sammers had some deal going.

Got O2 to unsubscribe me and block them

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head. I think a show on RTE Radio 1, during the summer. They occasionally review music and offer CDs to listeners. Arts Tonight or something similar.

Well it wasn't RTE in my case but otherwise thats a similar story to mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tullibardine

A lot of these things appear on Facebook and other sites. You do an IQ test and then it says enter your mobile for result. So, you enter a made up number. This of course, could then subscribe some totally innocent person to the service. All of these type of schemes should be illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Boppy12

I received one of these texts this noting too. My question is, even if I send the text to unsubscribe do I get charged an arm and a leg even just for that one text? If I just do nothing is that the best way to approach it?

Boppy12 wrote: »
    I received one of these texts this noting too. My question is, even if I send the text to unsubscribe do I get charged an arm and a leg even just for that one text? If I just do nothing is that the best way to approach it?

Just ring your provider, tell them the story and ask them to block the number

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there are many of these scams which originate from internet sites where you carry out a small task in order to enter a site or get a free download of something. Before you can enter/download they ask for a mobile phone number. I have found out the hard way that people can just enter random numbers, once they are valid, and thus you migth be unlucky enough to have ha your number entered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Boppy12 wrote: »
    if you reply with anything other than stop to any of these texts you will be subscribed at anything up to 8-10 euro a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Wixawin is not a scam, i know precautionary measures are there and gladly everyone on this thread uses them but on personal experience, i know 100% Wixawin is legit. If you go to the Wixawin.ie website and 'Winners' section i guarantee you will see my name their. I was the very first winner from Ireland, i won a PS3, mind you it took about 4 months for them to give it to me AND i warned them that i would involve 'other' people if they did not give me what i rightfully won. I answered around 10 or 12 questions right and won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Shane.C wrote: »
    Wixawin is not a scam, i know precautionary measures are there and gladly everyone on this thread uses them but on personal experience, i know 100% Wixawin is legit. If you go to the Wixawin.ie website and 'Winners' section i guarantee you will see my name their. I was the very first winner from Ireland, i won a PS3, mind you it took about 4 months for them to give it to me AND i warned them that i would involve 'other' people if they did not give me what i rightfully won. I answered around 10 or 12 questions right and won it.

8 posts in Shane...... i don't think you are on here long enough to believe that story.:rolleyes:

Mr Wixawin I presume ?

Fine, did you go to the wixawin website tho? Here.....http://wixawin.com/ir/

Mr Wixawin I presume ?

Are you serious??? Im telling you about my personal experience and you presume that i am 'Mr Wixawin' :rolleyes: haha! I have the link in my last post on this thread to the Ireland website,just go to winners, i was the first!

Are you serious??? Im telling you about my personal experience and you presume that i am 'Mr Wixawin' :rolleyes: haha! I have the link in my last post on this thread to the Ireland website,just go to winners, i was the first!

Your damn right I'm serious.
    The first and ONLY it seems - I note on the main page it says prizes plural. In fact if anything now I'm even more suspicious that you are a wixawin plant.

haha ok sound :p It's good that you're suspicious,but hey if you don't wanna believe me no prob. I can tell you though, when i did when the PS3 i got a call while i was on my way to the ploughing championships(i was in T.Y and the ploughing was in Offaly). The call came at 5 in the morning 5!!!!, I reckon if it wasnt for the ploughing champs i wouldnt have been up and they would have said your chance to claim your prize has gone,so im lucky haha! Still though, took a good 4!!! months for it to come and the woman who told me i won the prize said at first i won a PSP, i was like WTF?? She obliged to correct her mistake:p But since then i havent spent anything on them! PS3 was from Japan,****ing weird adappter and everything, tried to get it on the cheap! Thats all really!

Shane...you seem to be a guy who likes everything to be free.
    Check out this earlier thread started.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056172779

Free food, free drink, free PS3. Life is not so easy man.

• Advertisement

If it's there why not? And by the way, me and a mate got kicked out of eyre square hotel for something the bartender the previous week said there was gona be, not my fault.

What has that got to do with Wixawin? ...Some people:rolleyes:

If it's there why not? And by the way, me and a mate got kicked out of eyre square hotel for something the bartender the previous week said there was gona be, not my fault.

What has that got to do with Wixawin? ...Some people:rolleyes:

A quick Google of Wixawin will result in scam all over the board. So people should stay well clear of it. The fact that you are pushing Wixawin, suggests to us that you are not sincere here. People on here don't want or deserve to be riped off man, so stop the BS.

I'm not trying to rip off anyone! i'm saying it wasn't a rip off for me! Can people not share personal experiences anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anti_spam

Cami wrote: »
    I just received a text message from 'WIXAWIN'. I had never even heard of wixawin but with some research I found out it is a total scam. They lure people in by telling them they can win prizes, so people do a survey or subscribe to them by giving their mobile number. They then receive 8 "questions" a month at 2E each. I have never heard of wixawin and I did NOT ever give my mobile number away. The txt had a pin number in it and it said "enter this pin number to get the result of our IQ test". I did not dare do this, however, I did text stop to ensure I had been unsubscribed.

I am afraid that somebody else used my mobile number or somehow wixawin got hold of it. I emailed them but probably won't get a reply until tomorrow or so. Has this happened to anybody else or has anybody had any problems with wixawin??

Hey Cami - I apologize to hear about this mishap, and have a clear interest to assit you and others who might fall victims to scams like these.
    I know the regulations in Ireland (I practice Internet Law) and believe we might have a case we can appeal to the regulator. Can you please send the entire SMS message you've received from this company? Additionally, if you can indicate where it came from (should be a 4 digit number), I can look it up and give you more input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@anti_spam can you please outline your interest in this topic? Boards is not to be used for solicitation purposes

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anti_spam

dudara wrote: »
    @anti_spam can you please outline your interest in this topic? Boards is not to be used for solicitation purposes

dudara

I'm interested to get these Wixawin Creeps and other as far away as possible from Ireland. I work in one of the biggest law firms in Ireland and have the power to pull strings and make the internet a safer place.
    I hope you don't refer to this intent as solicitation purposes - and if you do let me make this as clear as possible - I'm doing this COMPLETLEY free of charge for the future of us and our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

anti_spam wrote: »
    I'm interested to get these Wixawin Creeps and other as far away as possible from Ireland. I work in one of the biggest law firms in Ireland and have the power to pull strings and make the internet a safer place.
    I hope you don't refer to this intent as solicitation purposes - and if you do let me make this as clear as possible - I'm doing this COMPLETLEY free of charge for the future of us and our children.

Oh wont somebody please think of the children....oh wait, you did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Then I would request that you contact the admins at hello@boards.ie and request an official representative account. I would prefer for you to publically represent your practice.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hey Cami - I apologize to hear about this mishap, and have a clear interest to assit you and others who might fall victims to scams like these.
    I know the regulations in Ireland (I practice Internet Law) and believe we might have a case we can appeal to the regulator. Can you please send the entire SMS message you've received from this company? Additionally, if you can indicate where it came from (should be a 4 digit number), I can look it up and give you more input.
    It is in fact a 5 digit number and the user can look it up themselves by checking on this website instead of giving their details or phone number to some total stranger on the web

• Advertisement

Getting hammered by them tonight. 3 SMS messages in 15 minutes, exactly the same message as before..I find if you just ignore it, you don't get charged, well.. I didn't last time. Seems to be just a hook and bait, to get a response, which I have intention of providing..

57582: FreeMsg: Your PIN XXXX.
    Enter online & join the competition&content service.€8 per week+€2 joining fee.18+only. Unsubscribe: text stop to 57582.
    Info:wixawin.c

Message as recieved.

If I approach Vodafone, will they block these c___s without giving Wixawin the benefit of getting a response from me?

I don't have any intention of texting 'stop', or anything else, I want to shut off contact through my mobile provider or another body that has some clout.

Advertisement