Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIXAWIN SCAM!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Amalgam wrote: »
    If I approach Vodafone, will they block these c___s without giving Wixawin the benefit of getting a response from me?

I don't have any intention of texting 'stop', or anything else, I want to shut off contact through my mobile provider or another body that has some clout.

Is it possible to block their number?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I hope I won't offend anyone if I butt in here but it's the closest thread to my problem. I had a similar experience but with a different company. To cut a long story short: I was charged about €44 for texts I never wanted, knew about or saw, from a company I had never heard of (mobilefun4u.com) until they appeared on my bill. Not having had any satisfaction from Vodafone, I contacted ComReg who are currently dealing with the matter. (Mods, please delete this post if you think it might interfere with ComReg's procedure)
    I then received a call from the parent company (Sam Media) who said they wanted to refund me - they asked for my bank details but I said no, send me a cheque and I gave them my address.
    Now they have rung again saying that they can't send cheques and they can only refund to my bank account or to a pre-pay phone card. I don't have a pre-pay phone.
    I really worry about giving my bank details to a shower like this.
    What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Got a message from these earlier.

Just want to be clear, if I ignore the message, I won't be charged anything?

Little bit unsettled that I recently gave my number to meteor goodie bags....

Hardly ever give out the number anywhere, so I'm kind of linking this to them.....possibly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hank_Jones wrote: »

Hardly ever give out the number anywhere, so I'm kind of linking this to them.....possibly.

That's what I thought in my case. If you don't text "stop" to the number texting you, you will be charged - simple as.
    The phone companies won't lift a finger - they're making money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Hank_Jones wrote: »

If it is Wixawin, you won't get charged, as the sign up is a two part process. basically, someone has entered your number on the Wixawin website and they've texted you a code to enter on the website to activate the sign up process.

Wixawin aren't that dumb, they'd get shot down quickly if the misery was so easy to inflict..

I find it amusing though, how mobile phone companies will happily collude with various scammers (..and they do cooperate with each other..), yet, if you were to abuse *their network* in any way, for profit, you'd get a very swift legal smack on the head.

It is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

slowburner wrote: »
    I hope I won't offend anyone if I butt in here but it's the closest thread to my problem. I had a similar experience but with a different company. To cut a long story short: I was charged about €44 for texts I never wanted, knew about or saw, from a company I had never heard of (mobilefun4u.com) until they appeared on my bill. Not having had any satisfaction from Vodafone, I contacted ComReg who are currently dealing with the matter. (Mods, please delete this post if you think it might interfere with ComReg's procedure)
    I then received a call from the parent company (Sam Media) who said they wanted to refund me - they asked for my bank details but I said no, send me a cheque and I gave them my address.
    Now they have rung again saying that they can't send cheques and they can only refund to my bank account or to a pre-pay phone card. I don't have a pre-pay phone.
    I really worry about giving my bank details to a shower like this.
    What do you think?
    you can insist on a cheque afaik so dont give these dodgy operators any bank details at all! get back on to ComReg telling them about your latest contact with them

Thanks a mill foggy lad. I'm sorted on this. I rang ComReg about this and they advised that there usually isn't a problem with this crowd (just shows how common it is) refunding straight to bank a/c's so I gave them my details and got refunded with no further problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭polobradaigh

Hope you got sorted Hank Jones. By the way, do you play jazz piano by any chance?

Advertisement