Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puzzle Time

Options
  • 27-05-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭

Okay,

so we just switched ISPs at work.

So we went from DSL to Cable.

So we have the new Cable Modem, as opposed to the Old DSL Modem/Switch (a Netopia something something)

We dusted off an old Dell PowerConnect2216 (An unmanaged ethernet network switch), so now we have Wall>Modem>DPC>Fax/PC1/Linksys WAP54G

So now the situation is

1) Cant print off the fax/combo printer
    2) PCs cant see eachother
    3) PCs can connect to the WAP54G and get online
    3) None of the PCs can connect to the WAP54G's setup page, 192.168.1.245; even if its the only thing plugged in (standalone)

Gonna get my spare router from home in here (WRT610N) and put it where the PowerConnect is now to see if it makes a difference when we remove the unmanaged component, but that only hopes to fix the problem of being able to use the window work group.

The other thing thats really been bothering me is no matter how I reset it or plug it in or dont plug it in, Nothing can get into the WAP54G device. They can use the device, but nothing can go in and configure it - not by wireless; not by direct connection.

Wasnt doing that a few weeks ago - the last time that I reset the router (to disable a MAC filter) and it appears to be a new development

I need ideas :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Can you telnet into the WAP54G and maybe check the settings that way?

It seems weird that you can't get access via the web interface though, especially when you can still use the internet through it.

Silly question: Did you check to make sure the IP assigned to the computer is on the same subnet as the IP of the access point, ie. the computer has an IP of 192.168.1.xxx?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You know i think thats the problem. The Dell Switch put everything on 7x.7x.x.x ports.

im back now and brought another linksys router with me - the WRT610N; ill swap it out with the dell and see where we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks Antar that was the problem. We can print and use Quickbooks again! But now we cant see the internet on those machines :D

ATM I have the Modem>WRT160N>and the WAP54G

Now they cant see the internet but its nice that they can see eachother :p Im sure its all to do with subnet-something again. Anyway the boss ran down to walmart to grab an linksys E1000 Which will do away with all of this madness - It'll stand in for both their WAP and my WRT

was fun to get to the bottom of it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted :)

Advertisement