Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licence Question

• 27-05-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads.

I had a look at the FAQ but the licence website doesn't seem to be up any more.

I'm looking to buy a bike, mainly for commuting to work.

I have a full Irish driving licence, but it only says I can drive cars (B/B1 I think, can't find the fecking thing at the moment!). It doesn't say anything about bikes though.

I remember when I had my provisional I was able to drive a bike <125cc. I hardly have to do the provisional test again to be allowed drive a bike do I?

If I do, I'm living in England at the moment, so how would I go about it? I assume I just have to apply for the test over here?

Also, with a provisional licence are you allowed drive a bike over 125cc that has been limited?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

irish driving permit (provisional) will allow you to drive a bike up to 33horse power

You can apply for a test in the uk, but you'll have to apply for a uk provisional first..
    Anyway. The uk driving test for bikes is more complicated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

dioltas wrote: »
    Hey Lads.

I had a look at the FAQ but the licence website doesn't seem to be up any more.

I'm looking to buy a bike, mainly for commuting to work.

I have a full Irish driving licence, but it only says I can drive cars (B/B1 I think, can't find the fecking thing at the moment!). It doesn't say anything about bikes though.

I remember when I had my provisional I was able to drive a bike <125cc. I hardly have to do the provisional test again to be allowed drive a bike do I?

If I do, I'm living in England at the moment, so how would I go about it? I assume I just have to apply for the test over here?

Also, with a provisional licence are you allowed drive a bike over 125cc that has been limited?

Thanks for your help.

You will need to do a theory test for the A Learner Permit and then apply for your A Learner Permit. This will allow you to drive bikes > 125, but anything too big needs to be retricted.

If you are living in England why not apply for the license there and do a Direct Access course to get your full license. May be more complicated but at least you will learn valuable lessons from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You will need to do a theory test for the A Learner Permit and then apply for your A Learner Permit. This will allow you to drive bikes > 125, but anything too big needs to be retricted.

If you are living in England why not apply for the license there and do a Direct Access course to get your full license. May be more complicated but at least you will learn valuable lessons from it.

In the UK you must do a 1 day CBT before going on the road on any 2 wheeler - most bike shops will include this in the price of the bike.. I think you need to do the theory as well. then you can ride a bike upto 125cc and 9kw I think.

Direct access is the way to go.. no need to buy a bike and after 4 or 5 days you can ride an unlimted machine or a machine upto 33bhp depending which version you do.

Of course seeing as the rules change every 5 mins I might be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

si_guru wrote: »
    Direct access is the way to go.. no need to buy a bike and after 4 or 5 days you can ride an unlimted machine or a machine upto 33bhp depending which version you do.

That sounds class. So they give you a loan of a bike to learn on?

I'm going to look into it.

Thanks lads.

That's then valid at home too ya? I mean if I get the licence over here. Does the fact that I already have a full Irish Driving Licence affect things at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

That's then valid at home too ya? I mean if I get the licence over here. Does the fact that I already have a full Irish Driving Licence affect things at all?

Until it expires I think, then you have to exchange it for an Irish licence.

• Advertisement

That sounds class. So they give you a loan of a bike to learn on?

I'm going to look into it.

Thanks lads.

The bike can be rented in the price - I did mine in 1997.. I borrowed a CB500.. did day one a Yamaha SR125 (to get CBT)... then bought myself a Speed Triple the week after..

btw you have to be over 21 to go stright o unlimted I think. If you go the 33bhp route you can go unlimited after 2 years (they USEd to be the rule anyway).

Get a UK driving license by swapping your Irish one with the DVLA. That will probably make your insurnace cheaper too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The UK test now has two parts one off road and the 2nd on road. They can't be done on the same day AFAIK.

OP I'd check to see where you're nearest off road test centre is. Depending on where you are they can be a few hours drive away. Best bet is to call a school close to your nearest centre and do some lessons with them.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The UK test now has two parts one off road and the 2nd on road. They can't be done on the same day AFAIK.

It is all here.... no typos - unlike me!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/RidingMotorcyclesAndMopeds/DG_4022568

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Thanks lads.

I emailed a motorcycle training place near enough to me yesterday. They sent me this price list for a 5 day direct access course, given I haven't any experience. I'm over 21 alright so would be able to go straight to unlimited.

Theory Test - £35
    CBT - £110
    Refresher 125cc - £125
    Refresher 125cc - £125
    DAS1 500cc - £165
    DAS2 500cc - £165
    Module 1 Test - £15.50
    Module 2 Test - £75.00

Total: £815.50

I wouldn't be able to afford that at the moment, but I could do the CBT they said which would allow me to drive a 125cc for up to 2 years, it doesn't add anything to the price to do the steps seperately. I'll have to think about it. Could take out a loan to cover the course, insurance, bike and gear, which would mean I'd be on the road in no time :).

Thanks for the advice lads.

Advertisement