Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Them qware folk

• 27-05-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

What a title :pac:

I know this is a touchy subject for the teen age group,but who is better to discuss sexuality[not like there's a forum for it:rolleyes:] than those discovering it first hand.

So, do you look at/treat lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender[LGBT for college folk] any differently? Be honest now.

I know it might offend some people,but I still use "gay" as a derogatory term,any of my gay friends know it's not meant offensively,It's how I've spoken since I was in national school.
    But apart from that tasteless comment,I don't react any differently.What people get up to in the bedroom is none of my business.

to put it bluntly[it's just how I roll] I don't care where you want to put your penis/va-jay-jay,makes no difference to me.

[could I have worded this any worse? sorry if it offends anyone or I get 'carded for this]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Makes no odds to me tbh.

I do get a bit of a laugh out of it with a couple of friends in particular though, like X expressing interest in Y, or W scoring Z, more to do with the novelty of it more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Tis all perfectly acceptable IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Makes no odds to me.

What I don't get though is why does sexuality have to be the defining feature of someone's character rather than just another aspect of it. In my old school for example some people would judge based on sexuality rather than personality and just act prejudiced. Twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Grand with me, I'll judge them by other aspects of their personality (as in, not their sexuality). :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

No issues tbh, although I do find overly camp people slightly grating . Having said that, thats purely an issue with their personality and not with their sexual orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Doesn't affect how I view people at all, and I (affectionately of course) have made jokes at my gay and lesbian friends when they're beeing particularly camp or dykey. Don't mind if people make jokes at me either-I play for both teams :p best one I ever got was from a lesbian friend when I made some reference to "the bi-sexual community", and she retorted that I didn't have a community, I had "a loose collective or randy people with short attention spans". And one of my male gay friends, when he was being dragged to a dinner party at a lesbian couple's house complained "I don't want to goooo, lesbian dinner party yuck, what are they going to do, knit a fecking casserole out of cats or something"

Those kinds of jokes are just funny, and no different to poking fun at somebody about any other aspect of their personality, just calling someone a ****** and then laughing isn't a joke, a lot of people seem to think it is :confused:

edit: that's in the swear filter?! I was just about to start a thread about where to buy bundles of sticks to use as fuel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Give a fúck?

TUBA poof 4 lyf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

The relationship between sexuality and personality fascinates me. Why is it that a lot of gay men tend to have that camp, outgoing personality? How can you sometimes guess their sexuality just from their voice? It's all very strange.

I agree with the Ninja man about using the word "gay" as well. Completely different meaning when used as a derogatory term. Look at the words bítch, bastard, cúnt. They have literal meanings, and derogatory meanings that aren't related to them in any way. That's my gayass way of looking at it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Being gay is fabulous. Hmm... that might not have been the best way to phrase that. :p

Anyway, no, I don't think I treat people in any different way based on their orientation. At least I really hope not! All it determines is what particular subset of people you're more likely to be affectionate about, why should it matter? People who are open with their sexuality can be a lot more fun and honest about themselves, anyway! The only thing I can think of is that I'd be careful to hide having a crush on somebody if I knew they wouldn't be interested in me because of orientational incompatibilities (amongst many other reasons why they wouldn't, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

Sexuality makes no odds to me at all. I have friends of every orientation but I don't classify them accordingly in my mind. They're all just my friends. Whoever they fancy is none of my business.

Unfortunately I have the habit of using the word gay in a derogatory way too. It's a habit I'm trying to get out of. I mean nothing bad whatsoever to anybody, it's a silly habit from primary school. My friends know this but I hate it when it slips out in public in case anybody else thinks otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

If I saw two men or two women in the street kissing, I admit, I'd go "that's weird" subconciously. I don't feel embarrassed by that, it doesn't make me immature and it's not because I'm homophobic, it's just because it's not something I'm used to. After that, I don't have any problems with what other people choose to do with their lives and who they do it with- it's simply a biological thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Ginja, did you get this idea from glee? :P

Anyway, really doesn't make a difference to me what sort of stuff you're into. Doesn't make a difference to me.

The stereotype I find annoying is that people assume, because somebody is gay/lesbian, they are going to like every other gay/lesbian person. Also the whole, assuming when a friend comes out, they're automatically going to want to get with you. How the fúck do people not like this, if you're straight, you don't like every person of the opposite sex, so why would it make a difference if you're gay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

kateos2 wrote: »
    The stereotype I find annoying is that people assume, because somebody is gay/lesbian, they are going to like every other gay/lesbian person. Also the whole, assuming when a friend comes out, they're automatically going to want to get with you. How the fúck do people not like this, if you're straight, you don't like every person of the opposite sex, so why would it make a difference if you're gay?

I've always wondered why people (girls in my experience) do this. "Oh look here's X. He's gay so you'll like him". No one I know well would do it though thankfully. Sometimes it can be just downright insulting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't care what sexuality people are as long as they don't tell me about their sex life or chew the face off each other in front of me.

Everybody knows the best sexuality is asexuality. Think about how much you could get done!

But guys, it's immoral. God hates it, etc. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

kateos2 wrote: »
    Ginja, did you get this idea from glee? :P
    :o Shut up Kate! :rolleyes:
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    The relationship between sexuality and personality fascinates me. Why is it that a lot of gay men tend to have that camp, outgoing personality? How can you sometimes guess their sexuality just from their voice? It's all very strange.
    This tbh.
    I can honestly say Gay men annoy me,not because they are homosexual.But because of the extremely effeminate behaviour,to be honest it annoys me in women as well,but it's slightly worse when I meet a girlier man than a lot of my female friends.

Also,what's with the voice thing? Is it flying the flag about your sexuality? or just playing to the stereotype,I can't see how your sexuality can physically effect you're speech,do straight people have a definitive accent as well? I think it's sad if you're sexuality is what defines you as a person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No problem with gay people, but I do hate ridiculously over the top campness though, and people who just pander to a certain stereotype just because it exists.
    The only thing I can think of is that I'd be careful to hide having a crush on somebody if I knew they wouldn't be interested in me because of orientational incompatibilities (amongst many other reasons why they wouldn't, of course).

This is a dig at me, isn't it? I'm never gonna live that one down. :o Haven't had that much drink in a single night ever since...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

This is a dig at me, isn't it? I'm never gonna live that one down. :o Haven't had that much drink in a single night ever since...

No, no! It really wasn't, I honestly meant it about myself actually. Haha, sorry... though that was quite a funny night. You'll certainly never live it down if you keep bringing it up. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Gay people don't bother me in the slightest, but what does is the way some people think that they can totally flaunt their sexuality just because of it. If any of my straight friends were to keep on at "jaysus, rode this person and their mate AND their cousin last night" they'd be told to stfu, yet nobody objects when a gay person does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Yeah, I really don't care what floats anyone else's boat. One thing that annoys me though are those girls who decide to kiss each other to get attention from guys, you know, girls who aren't into girls, but think it'd be so cool to be 'hawt' and make out. Yeah, fuck off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I have no problem with gay people though I will that I do dislike ott camp or butch behaviour/dress in either orientation...but I feel guilty about that because if a girl wants to wear baggy pants why shouldn't she?
    I also think that sexuality seems to be much less clear cut and acceptable among girls. I have one friend who is a lesbian, she has always fancied girls. There are loads of other girls that are in that group though who have had girlfriends. Some sya that they're bisexual while most say it was just a phase or they just fancied that particular girl.
    In my group of friends from college how ever, while being a gay man is fine being a lesbian is seen as wierd and icky. I do not understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Wow, everyone here's posted positive things

/zips mouth and runs out

illiop wrote: »
    I have no problem with gay people though I will that I do dislike ott camp or butch behaviour/dress in either orientation...but I feel guilty about that because if a girl wants to wear baggy pants why shouldn't she?
    I also think that sexuality seems to be much less clear cut and acceptable among girls. I have one friend who is a lesbian, she has always fancied girls. There are loads of other girls that are in that group though who have had girlfriends. Some sya that they're bisexual while most say it was just a phase or they just fancied that particular girl.
    In my group of friends from college how ever, while being a gay man is fine being a lesbian is seen as wierd and icky. I do not understand this.

Nothing wrong with baggy pants! I have a pair of what can only be described as old-school Avril Lavigne pants which I've been rocking since I was 16, comfiest things I've ever worn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

it didn't mean just any baggy trousers. I mean that sereotypically (apologies) "Dykey" look. You know, gangzta pants and flannel shirts. I mean, just because someone dresses like this does not (of course) mean they're a lesbian but when I see it that is what I immediatley think and I always think of it as the lesbian equivelent of a gay man wearing leggings and sequins. It's something that just seems to be engrained in me and I can't stop thinking that way. I believe people should be allowed to dress how they please but when I see people dressed like this it annoys me and I think "Stop flaunting your homosexuality, it's nothing special!", which is why i feel guilty about it.

illiop wrote: »
    it didn't mean just any baggy trousers. I mean that sereotypically (apologies) "Dykey" look. You know, gangzta pants and flannel shirts. I mean, just because someone dresses like this does not (of course) mean they're a lesbian but when I see it that is what I immediatley think and I always think of it as the lesbian equivelent of a gay man wearing leggings and sequins. It's something that just seems to be engrained in me and I can't stop thinking that way. I believe people should be allowed to dress how they please but when I see people dressed like this it annoys me and I think "Stop flaunting your homosexuality, it's nothing special!", which is why i feel guilty about it.

Well in my experience lesbians tend to not look "lesbian", I can think of one lesbian friend who people know she's a lesbian, and that's purely because she's a bit militant, I can name off the top of my head three lesbian friends who straight people don't believe are lesbian, because people have ridiculous preconceptions of what a lesbian looks like. As for flaunting your sexuality, a lesbian dressing dykey does that no more than a straight girl dressing in low cut dress and heels, or a camp dressing gay does that no more than a straight guy in a tracksuit, really. I'd argue that our generation is the first one where being gay isn't controversial, so I'd be interested to see what our little brothers and sisters think of the issue when they're our age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Also,what's with the voice thing? Is it flying the flag about your sexuality? or just playing to the stereotype,I can't see how your sexuality can physically effect you're speech,do straight people have a definitive accent as well? I think it's sad if you're sexuality is what defines you as a person

Loads of people change their accent depending on their environment. Nothing sad about it.

edit: when I say change I don't mean they do it deliberately. Some people do it without thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Well being one of them qware folk, I can tell a LARGE percentage of teenagers are very homophobic. They're all very PC and progressive until a friend comes out at which point you are treated like a goddamn sex offender. I have one friend who will drape herself all over boys but practically falls over herself trying to not sit with me, yet claims to be bi. We were best friends before all this. I think its worse for lesbians like myself because girls think you're hitting on them (even when they're dogs) and guys only want to watch, so you have no friends :(

The very stereotypically gay guys are generally like that because they are young and excited to be out. Leave them be :) Some however, are giant catty bitches. The butch lesbians are generally nice though

Loads of people change their accent depending on their environment. Nothing sad about it.

edit: when I say change I don't mean they do it deliberately. Some people do it without thinking

I think (I have absolutely no links to back this up, it's just a thing I've read in places) that some of the current thinking on why gay people are gay says that it's a physical thing, which affects glands in the brain and elsewhere, so if that's true then the camp voice would be explainable. I'm sure we've all known guys who blatantly had that voice since they learnt to talk, it's not an affectation in all cases.
    Well being one of them qware folk, I can tell a LARGE percentage of teenagers are very homophobic. They're all very PC and progressive until a friend comes out at which point you are treated like a goddamn sex offender. I have one friend who will drape herself all over boys but practically falls over herself trying to not sit with me, yet claims to be bi. We were best friends before all this. I think its worse for lesbians like myself because girls think you're hitting on them (even when they're dogs) and guys only want to watch, so your= have no friends :(

The very stereotypically gay guys are generally like that because they are young and excited to be out. Leave them be :) Some however, are giant catty bitches. The butch lesbians are generally nice though

The only problem I'd ever have with butch lesbians is that they often only want to know other lesbians (this is based on experience, not prejudice). One of my lesbian friends who'd be with the "scene" pretty much stopped talking to me when I got a boyfriend, not because we weren't getting on, but because I was causing hassle for her with other friends. And I know a few lesbians or female bisexuals (including myself) who deliberately avoid the scene because it's so exclusive. But lesbians by and large are lovely in my experience

I too would like to know why so many gay men tend to be camp. One gay guy I know isn't, and he takes the absolute piss out of camp gay men. :D (In a nice way)

The one thing I don't like is gay people who seem to have no personality other than their homosexuality. In fairness, I've only met one or two of them; the vast majority of gay people I've met have been interesting people, but those one or two: just no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I too would like to know why so many gay men tend to be camp. One gay guy I know isn't, and he takes the absolute piss out of camp gay men. :D (In a nice way)

The one thing I don't like is gay people who seem to have no personality other than their homosexuality. In fairness, I've only met one or two of them; the vast majority of gay people I've met have been interesting people, but those one or two: just no.

Yes, but I'm assuming that the reason you didn't like them wasn't because they were gay.
    You like someone based on their personality generally and I think the camp thing could be more linked to this than sexuality (though obviously that's a factor).

Most of my gay friends are a bit camp. It can be a bit grating at times, 'cause they get bitchy, but it's the people themselves that are annoying. Nothing about their sexuality!

Advertisement