Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap car that will run all day for 2k?

• 27-05-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,
    As the statement goes im looking to spend some money (around 2000) on a car. Im not looking for anything too flash just something that will keep going solidly without having to pump too much money into it...

I was looking at 01 almeras as they seem to come into my price range except im not sure how reliable they are...

Would love a Honda accord except i can't find any in my price range...

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I have a mate with an 01 1.6 Almera, not sure which model, and he swears by it. It's been kept well so it runs well.

On the flip side, my dad use to have an 02 one, he never treats cars well, it showed but it was still very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

The idea of buying a 2000 euro car in perfect condition that will not require any sort of service or expense for a while sounds unrealistic to me.
    But then I might be wrong...

You can probably grab a good quality car for that price, gonna be an oldy, but I am pretty sure you will have some sort of work to do shortly afer. Maybe tires, maybe fuilds, maybe brakes etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

nellocono wrote: »
    You're not looking in the right places. You'll pick up an Accord for a grand handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

JHMEG wrote: »
    You'll pick up an Accord for a grand handy enough.

Jaysis an oldy you mean? 95/96 maybe.

Jaysis an oldy you mean? 95/96 maybe.

I'll be selling a 98 (new model) Accord Coupé, with full leather, climate control, cruise, auto, for a grand soon enough.

• Advertisement

I'll be selling a 98 (new model) Accord Coupé,

In 98 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

CaraFawn wrote: »
    The idea of buying a 2000 euro car in perfect condition that will not require any sort of service or expense for a while sounds unrealistic to me.
    But then I might be wrong...

You can probably grab a good quality car for that price, gonna be an oldy, but I am pretty sure you will have some sort of work to do shortly afer. Maybe tires, maybe fuilds, maybe brakes etc..

It's not unrealistic at all. You just have to find the right car and employ a little patience. I'd be look at a Fiesta 1.25, a civic, a first gen almera, an accord or a primera for trouble free motoring. The Japs from that era were probably the most reliable cars ever made and a lot of people who know what they're talking about will agree with me. They're not just reliable, if looked after they're even very easy on consumables like suspension parts, clutches etc. While many may be soulless they can't be beaten if your priority is to get from a to b headache free. Modern cars are too complex for such dependability ever to be repeated.

In 98 :P

Model changed in 98.

coolbeans wrote: »
    It's not unrealistic at all. You just have to find the right car and employ a little patience. I'd be look at a Fiesta 1.25, a civic, a first gen almera, an accord or a primera for trouble free motoring. The Japs from that era were probably the most reliable cars ever made and a lot of people who know what they're talking about will agree with me. They're not just reliable, if looked after they're even very easy on consumables like suspension parts, clutches etc. While many may be soulless they can't be beaten if you're priority is to get from a to b headache free. Modern cars are too complex for such dependability ever to be repeated.

My sis-in-law had a 1.25 Fiesta. Not worth the hassle...

I'll be selling a 98 (new model) Accord Coupé, with full leather, climate control, cruise, auto, for a grand soon enough.

Is that the 2.2 litre?

• Advertisement

It's not unrealistic at all. You just have to find the right car and employ a little patience. I'd be look at a Fiesta 1.25, a civic, a first gen almera, an accord or a primera for trouble free motoring. The Japs from that era were probably the most reliable cars ever made and a lot of people who know what they're talking about will agree with me. They're not just reliable, if looked after they're even very easy on consumables like suspension parts, clutches etc. While many may be soulless they can't be beaten if you're priority is to get from a to b headache free. Modern cars are too complex for such dependability ever to be repeated.

Yes agreed but that means the previous owner would have kept service up to date, changed worn things etc. Definitely a hard find. Who is changing fluids, gaskets, tires, brake pads etc when due? For the NCT probably only...
    Not impossible, but it is gonna be hard, especially on a small 10 years oldish car.

Model changed in 98.

Yeah I figured, was just kd.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Yes agreed but that means the previous owner would have kept service up to date, changed worn things etc. Definitely a hard find. Who is changing fluids, gaskets, tires, brake pads etc when due? For the NCT probably only...
    Not impossible, but it is gonna be hard, especially on a small 10 years oldish car.

Ah stop picking holes in my sweeping generalisation will you! ;)

Well i think your spot on.

I myself had a budget of about 2k a month ago to buy a car & i was looking for something that wasn't wrecked & i can tell you i looked at a good few cars ranging in price from about 1600 to 2300 & most of them had some sort of issue or slight problem & all of them had quite a few small problems. All mechanically sound but silly things here & there like a stubborn window or sunroof, door seal a bit loose, few scratches & dents here & there, maybe a bit of broken trim inside.

A 2000 euro 10/11/12 year old car is never ever perfect & if you go out expecting that you'll be looking for a while.

I settled on a 2000 corolla for 1600 euro with tax & 2 years NCT but i had to sort a few little things to get her running sweet. Gave it a full service, changed sparkplugs, gave the injectors a clean with a fuel additive & i think i need to replace the rear brake pads but hey? thats the joys of older budget cars.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ARRGGGHH!! If only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Honda Civic saloon with 2 years NCT and 7 months tax:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201021198147190

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's not unrealistic at all. You just have to find the right car and employ a little patience. I'd be look at a Fiesta 1.25, a civic, a first gen almera, an accord or a primera for trouble free motoring. The Japs from that era were probably the most reliable cars ever made and a lot of people who know what they're talking about will agree with me. They're not just reliable, if looked after they're even very easy on consumables like suspension parts, clutches etc. While many may be soulless they can't be beaten if your priority is to get from a to b headache free. Modern cars are too complex for such dependability ever to be repeated.

what he said. Amen.

You can deffenetly find a newer shaped accord for that sort of money, thought i dont know whats wrong with older ones, i think they look classy.

I had a pug 406 00' and it was moust reliable car i ever owned! I know it has a bad reputation, but damn that thing was rock solid for me! It would go nicely in to your price range, you could get a diesel aswell.

Is that the 2.2 litre?

No, that was the older model. Newer model was 2.0 and 3.0 V6. Mine's the 2.0

This shape:
    acc_co-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Thanks for the feedback...

Looking at the Peugeot 406 (coupe) and they look a very nice car..I really dont know though Ive always wanted to stay away from French cars..

I understand what I get is not going to be completely trouble free but I would like some peace of mind anyway...

What ye think of this: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201007196929231

what he said. Amen.

You can deffenetly find a newer shaped accord for that sort of money, thought i dont know whats wrong with older ones, i think they look classy.

I had a pug 406 00' and it was moust reliable car i ever owned! I know it has a bad reputation, but damn that thing was rock solid for me! It would go nicely in to your price range, you could get a diesel aswell.

406 is a great car. Engines damn near unbreakable. That coupe would want to be a bit cheaper for me to be tempted. The alloys are awful and those mudflaps would have to go. That 2.0 is no ball of fire either. The electrics can play up a little but not in a serious a way. That said I'd want the 2.2 HDi or the V6. I don't think I'd consider the 2.0 and would be more inclined to find an Accord coupe like the one above.

No, that was the older model. Newer model was 2.0 and 3.0 V6. Mine's the 2.0

This shape:
    acc_co-1.jpg

Savage car for a grand, is she healthy enough ?

Regarding the OP, the 520i I bought two months back is fine, haven't spent a penny on her, good tyres and she was serviced before I bought her too, 16 months NCT left on her too, and she's 17. They are out there.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Savage car for a grand, is she healthy enough ?
    Perfect. These cars have very heavy panels and as such hold their shape and condition very well. Going on the feedback here I think I'll ask more for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Why is anybody on this thread suggesting anything other than a Carina E?

Gurgle, no offence but Id rather stay away from the ol' Carinas...rocket proof they may be! I must say i am intrigued by the 406 coupe, as they are a gorgeous car and I never really noticed them... A bit of googling comes back saying they are pretty well built so shouldnt be a disaster... hmmmmmmmmm what to do???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

http://www.adverts.ie/221049/cars/ford-mondeo-2002-reduced-again-or-swap/

Going to put it through an NCT soon enough if you're interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

It is a risky business. You can find something that needs just oil change for the next year, or something that breaks down the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

a 00 corolla saloon:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

bazz26 wrote: »
    Honda Civic saloon with 2 years NCT and 7 months tax:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201021198147190
    Sshhh, I'm currently making an offer on that...

Moses7 wrote: »
    It is a risky business. You can find something that needs just oil change for the next year, or something that breaks down the next day.

Same thing can be said about cars for 15k++ m8.

I have seen cars bought for 500eu and being trouble free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

How soon? I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at that.

Anyone know how much the tax is on a 00 406 coupe. Have a sneeky feeling its about 1000 euro

Anyone know how much the tax is on a 00 406 coupe. Have a sneeky feeling its about 1000 euro

if its a 2.0 it will be 600eu, if its 3.0 it will be 1.2k eu

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    How soon? I'd definitely be interested in taking a look at that.

Should be before the summer's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paryan

Hi all,
    As the statement goes im looking to spend some money (around 2000) on a car. Im not looking for anything too flash just something that will keep going solidly without having to pump too much money into it...

I was looking at 01 almeras as they seem to come into my price range except im not sure how reliable they are...

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks

xli-gxi corolla!!! bullet proof

Advertisement