Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Researching an old quay

Options
  • 27-05-2010 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I'm trying to dig up information on an old quay which is local to me. Asked the local cartographer who very surprisingly didn't know the history behind it. It's located beside what was once a Franciscan monastery which would have been built in 1835 I believe. However, I don't know whether the quay is related to the monastery or not, I'm presuming it is.

Being new to this I would appreciate some pointers on where to look. I am planning on visiting the Franciscans in Galway, as the Quay is located in West Connemara (this being the interweb I don't want to get too location specific in public!). It would be great to delve into some online sources, or if anyone has other suggestions I welcome them too. I also plan on visiting Galway Library, I believe there's another library on Nuns Island. Not so sure Clifden Library would have much local info but I'll try it too.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

johngalway wrote: »
    Hello folks,

I'm trying to dig up information on an old quay which is local to me. Asked the local cartographer who very surprisingly didn't know the history behind it. It's located beside what was once a Franciscan monastery which would have been built in 1835 I believe. However, I don't know whether the quay is related to the monastery or not, I'm presuming it is.

Being new to this I would appreciate some pointers on where to look. I am planning on visiting the Franciscans in Galway, as the Quay is located in West Connemara (this being the interweb I don't want to get too location specific in public!). It would be great to delve into some online sources, or if anyone has other suggestions I welcome them too. I also plan on visiting Galway Library, I believe there's another library on Nuns Island. Not so sure Clifden Library would have much local info but I'll try it too.

ATB,

John

Would that be Roundstone?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Roundstone? No, there's a ton of information on Roundstone available isnt there? Wasnt it all built by Nimmo?

Local cartographer? Hmm. Tim Robinson? He has a great guide map and glossary available. Highly reccomended. Also his book "connemara" is worth a read.

I suspect you could do a book just on the quay's of Connemara, there's a lot isnt there? And in remote hidden away places too.

I saw seamus heaney read at clifden arts week last year and one of his poems was about the quays on the coast between roundstone and clifden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hmmm.... I see I'm not among regular boardsies here.... :D

Yes, that would be the spot and that would be the cartographer ;) I asked Tim and he doesn't know anything about this particular one.

Are records kept anywhere on the uses of quays or details of them, any type of Govt body ever collect such info?

It's the old quay down below the Primary school and what used to be the Franciscan Monastery.

It's not the quay in the village so I doubt Nimmo built this one, I would guess it has more to do with the monastery itself.

I must look up that Heaney poem, it sounds interesting. There's a quay around every corner in this part of the world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have you tried your local research library? Books about a county's history were often written around the turn of the last century and tend to include that sort of information but I can't suggest a title because I don't know of any for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Reckon most if not all the quays in the west were built by Nimmo.
    Check out this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alexander-Nimmo-Western-District-Infrastructure/dp/0953045536 its very good
    Think the author, Kathleen Villiers-Tuthill is based in conemara as well.

The franciscians are still in galway btw www.franciscans.ie you could contact them.

The library in nuns island would have a better catalogue then the city library for what your researching.

• Advertisement

They're actually all on my list of "to do's" :) Looks like footwork will be the order of the day on this.

I think i know the quay you mean. I'm no help though. I wonder if the fransiscans were in business and needed their own quay?

I'm also surprised robinson doesn't have more info on it.

I've heard of a local guy who's supposed to know the history of it. Heard through another man that it hasn't got to do with the Franciscans... Nothing confirmed so far :D Just need to make some time to knock on a couple of doors :)

Remember to post here when you learn something. I'd be interested to know.

Will do :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

johngalway I presume you've seen this-first edition of the Ordnance Survey map for the area-not sure of the date of this one but most were surveyed between 1835-40
    http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx#V1,472410,739987,6

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

johngalway wrote: »
    Hello folks,

ATB,

John

check out hardiman or Wilde or ask Peadar O Dowd. library in nuns island can be good

Advertisement