Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split/Second

Options
  • 27-05-2010 11:55pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got this? Been playing on the PC the last few days. Thought the novelty of blowing each other up would wear off quickly, but I'm loving it so far. Where oh where will Blur fit into all this? :D

I love the survival. Myself and a friend spent a whole night beating each others scores. He passed 12 trucks on sudden death before he got blown to pieces :eek:

Prat ¬¬

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

played a little bit of the demo about a year ago and even at that stage it was crazy fun to play - but the release date was a killer - really bad timiing imo.

Definately want to pick it up at some stage though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

split/second is the business, and sh1ts all over blur - which i dont really like so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Helix wrote: »
    split/second is the business, and sh1ts all over blur - which i dont really like so far

It looks amazing but I'm guessing it could get a bit old quickly when you learn all the staged events.

Still though, the only racing game since GT2 or WipeOut 2097/64 to make me consider getting back into the genre.

nah surprisingly it doesnt get old (well, not after 3 week's healthy caning so far anyway)

the events arent all staged in the way your post suggests you think they are. theyre just like any other racer, in that you pick your event and race it against your opposition - its not a case of the same stuff happening in each race or anything like that, theyre most certainly each their own entities

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

nah surprisingly it doesnt get old (well, not after 3 week's healthy caning so far anyway)

the events arent all staged in the way your post suggests you think they are. theyre just like any other racer, in that you pick your event and race it against your opposition - its not a case of the same stuff happening in each race or anything like that, theyre most certainly each their own entities

Good single player or is it only worth getting for the multiplayer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

This was on my to-buy list, but everything I've read about it makes a comparison with Burnout Revenge (and I mean everything, it's amazing how many times a review picked up on the similarities) so I just went back and played that for a while instead :p

I probably will pick it up later from the bargain bin, but like other posters, I'm worried about longevity and replayability. Isn't there only 12 tracks or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd imagine this game will go relatively cheap in the next few months, so when the backlog is cleared (oh, the backlog) I'd pick it up at the right price! Demo was fun, but not 50 euro fun!

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Good single player or is it only worth getting for the multiplayer?

great single player

ai is bang on

corblimey wrote: »
    This was on my to-buy list, but everything I've read about it makes a comparison with Burnout Revenge (and I mean everything, it's amazing how many times a review picked up on the similarities) so I just went back and played that for a while instead :p

I probably will pick it up later from the bargain bin, but like other posters, I'm worried about longevity and replayability. Isn't there only 12 tracks or something?

its a different beast to burnout revenge, there are similarities but to do a like for like comparison is lazy journalism. theyre not the same game

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

picked it up for 35 euro in Game btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

great single player

ai is bang on

AI is a rubber banding sonofabitch.

Its a fun game, but only when you are behind. There is no fun leading a race in this game. Stay near the front of the pack and pull ahead with a couple of power plays just at the end. Bloody good fun though.... glad I got it.

Blur doesn´t look half as interesting.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just finished this getting firsts in every event. Some of those detonators were a nigthmare but I got through them.

the races and other events got pretty easy when I got the Cobretti Pursuit. Beast of a car.
    The problem with the detonators is that they give you a different car for each one, so it takes you a while to figure out how it handles.

Also I played this on my 32" HD Ready and them my 23" Full HD screen and it looked 10 times better on the Full HD.

Played a few online games too and standard seems fairly poor. I cruised to victory in my first race.

Best arcade racing game in ages imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah I've lost like one online race in about 50 or so. They really are useless. It's a great game, I just play for the LAN though, mega fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

it's a great game alright. I just finished the last episode and won the season but have to go back now and come 1st in every race. The detonators will be my issue as well i reckon.

love the game online. I don't find it as easy as you guys tho. I've won my share of races but I've also been running first only to be on the wrong end of a route changer and been popped back to last place. I find the community online playing the game is pretty good so far. Nowhere near the a$$hole quota of some other games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Looks great, I love the idea that the HUD is on the car and not distracting on the screen, gives a nice flow to the driving experience

Advertisement