Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floppy Disc Drive - Heatsink Questions

Options
  • 27-05-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

I'm about to install an ASUS P5Q SE - Motherboard
    and I'm wondering if I need to have a floppy drive. I would have thought that the bios could be backed up on a cd rather than a floppy ...or am I wrong about that?

I also have one of these: Zalman CNPS 9500 Heatsink.
    Because the cpu is so near the ram in cannot be installed 'the right way round'. Does it matter if the fan spins clockwise or anticlockwise?

Basic questions I know, but help very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

answer to both is no u dont need a floppy and u can put the heatsink what ever way you want happy building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You don't need a floppy, and I'm quite sure the heatsink should be fine too, can't see how the ram is going to affect it - doesn't matter what way you're pointing it, as long as it works in tandem with any other airflow going in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Well the case LanCool Dragon Lord PC-K60 has four fans and the graphic card has one too. As does the corsair power supply so there won't be any shortage of cooling going on.
    I'm not an overclocker. I'm trying to get a reliable fast machine to work more for home entertainment and its looking good. Thanks for the replies.

Just one other thing. There is a connection for a power fan. I gather that it can't be used for the case fans so what is it for?
    I'm not confusing it with the cpu fan. Leave it empty?

There seem to be a few things on the board that not used much these days i.e. IDE and communications port.
    I'm asking all this as a to be sure to be sure while I wait on the ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well the case LanCool Dragon Lord PC-K60 has four fans and the graphic card has one too.

You need to make sure they all work together. For example, if the fan or fans on the back are out taking, if you have the CPU cooler turned in such a way that it's intaking, it's not going to really work.

As for power connectors - you mean on the motherboard? You should have a four pin header, that's for the cpu fan. The rest are 3 pin headers, used to connect case fans. Or on the power supply? Sometimes power supples have molex connections that are designed for fans only. You don't have to use them if you don't want to.

IDE is an old standard for optical/hard drives. Not used anymore in modern machines - well, they can be used, but there's not much point. Sata is the current standard. Ditto for serial ports. Old tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

The way the board is laid out it has a cpu fan; a 3 pin chassis fan cha_fan as it is described and a3 pin pwr_fan. There is one 3 to 4 Pin Fan Adapter included for the psu molex. So I will need to get two more of them I reckon as the power fan seems to be a different animal. Why not call it a case fan connector if that's what it is?

I think that heatsink is doomed. It weighs a ton as well as being the most awkward thing ever. It will find a home somewhere else.
    Can the communication port be ignored as well?

Many thanks for time and patience. I can fit a Dell board no bother but this is a bit different and I've never built one before, but the mists are clearing :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement