Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying In Queens Belfast

Options
  • 28-05-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Basically I've just finished my undergrad course in CIT and am planning on applying for a Masters in Queens and I'm just looking for info on the uni and the city itself.

I've heard rent is much cheaper up the North as is food. Also what is the job situation up there as the course is only two days a week so would be looking for a part-time job to help pay for the fees.

Thanks,

Aaron

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Basically I've just finished my undergrad course in CIT and am planning on applying for a Masters in Queens and I'm just looking for info on the uni and the city itself.

I've heard rent is much cheaper up the North as is food. Also what is the job situation up there as the course is only two days a week so would be looking for a part-time job to help pay for the fees.

Thanks,

Aaron

You could be eligible for a grant, if you were awarded one here you probably would get a grant and your fees paid.

the job situation would be better than here, but still not that great. unemploymnet is more than half that of the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Rent isn't that much cheaper (Belfast is the 'capital' after all) but food, clothes, and pretty much everything else is a lot cheaper :D As hokeypokey said the VEC grants cover the 32 counties at postgrad levels so assuming you're eligible you get the grant plus fees paid.

The uni is great and the city is great - two universities in the city centre plus a few colleges etc. mean a great social scene and lots of stuff to do.

On the jobs side of thing, particularly part-time, the market is much more buoyant than in ROI so I wouldn't expect any hassles finding a job that suits relatively quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Thanks very much for the information hokeypokey and pow wow, really hoping I get the place as it looks like a fantastic place to study.

About the grant, yes I'm eligible, so that takes a load off my mind in regards paying the fees.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Advertisement