Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just some general background info please

Options
  • 28-05-2010 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm sorry if some of this stuff is covered in other threads but...

I graduated last year with a 2.1 degree in business studies.....after a year on the dole now, I've just become so disillusioned with the job search after my latest two knock backs this week.

Finance has always been something I've had a keen interest and definitely would be what I'd like to go down on. I was looking at some of the criteria and I think I qualify but I've probably left it too late for this year? And there is probably massive competition as well.

As for my queeries....I'm 22 and have spent the last 11 months on the full dole, is there anyway I would be able to keep the dole if I go back to college?

How much are fees likely to range from?

Are there any grants available to me?

I really don't think my parents could afford it and I'm just about out of options now on what to do (can't find work here, no promising places to migrate to) so I might as well try and do something constructive with myself, although I do lack the neccessary funds.

Any help, feedback or advice much appreciated and apologies if I am rehashing old news/queeries.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

Hi Gman,

What kind of course are you hoping to do, masters, another bachelor degree etc?

You should check out www.citizensinformation.ie and www.studentfinance.ie, they cover topics such as grants and social welfare payments. You won't be able to keep getting the dole if you go back full-time, although depending on the course you apply for you may qualify for Back to Education Allowance. BTEA doesn't apply for those doing a masters. You should also check out your local county council for maintanence grant info. If you're living at home, a lot depends on your parents income.

You may still have time to start something this September, as some closing dates are quite late in the summer. The best thing to do is check the websites of the various courses you're interested in as they should tell you the closing date, application proceedure and course fees.

Best of luck with it! I hope you find something and don't let the dole get you too down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gman99

Hi Gman,

What kind of course are you hoping to do, masters, another bachelor degree etc?

You should check out www.citizensinformation.ie and www.studentfinance.ie, they cover topics such as grants and social welfare payments. You won't be able to keep getting the dole if you go back full-time, although depending on the course you apply for you may qualify for Back to Education Allowance. BTEA doesn't apply for those doing a masters. You should also check out your local county council for maintanence grant info. If you're living at home, a lot depends on your parents income.

You may still have time to start something this September, as some closing dates are quite late in the summer. The best thing to do is check the websites of the various courses you're interested in as they should tell you the closing date, application proceedure and course fees.

Best of luck with it! I hope you find something and don't let the dole get you too down :)

Thanks buddy. I definitely would be looking at doing a masters, obviously that would rule out the BTEA. I'd imagine fees and accomodation would have you running into a figure around 8-10 grand easily, nevermind stuff like food, clothes, books, car, phone etc.

Advertisement