Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do ye drink? :)

• 28-05-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Personally I tend to stick to pints of Heineken when I go out. I'll occasionally drink Bulmers too. However lately I've been thinking about trying stout. I know stout isn't for everyone though. I'm not sure if I would even like it. I've only had a small taste so I'm going to have to try a proper pint sometime! What would ye recommend? I'm thinking Beamish! :)

When I'm buying stuff in the offy I'm not really picky. I'll drink just about anything! I've heard good things about some of the cheaper Aldi / Lidl beers. What are they like? What does everyone else drink? :P
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Danger781 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about trying stout. What would ye recommend?
    O'Haras.

But if you really feel you need to ask the internet before you try something new, I don't hold out much hope for the continued survival of our species.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Personally I tend to stick to pints of Heineken when I go out. I'll occasionally drink Bulmers too. However lately I've been thinking about trying stout.
    Jaysus, just get a pint! its not like you're buying a house or something. I never understand people who are dead set in their ways about drinks, it is not like you have to drink the same stuff all night. I will change drinks all the time over the course of a night, I often have people commenting on it and wondering why, as if their must have been something wrong with the other drinks.

It would be like saying "I got to BK every day and get a whopper, but lately I have been pondering getting a chicken royale, I know chicken might not be to everybodies taste so am worried I might not even like it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

rubadub wrote: »
    Jaysus, just get a pint! its not like you're buying a house or something. I never understand people who are dead set in their ways about drinks, it is not like you have to drink the same stuff all night. I will change drinks all the time over the course of a night, I often have people commenting on it and wondering why, as if their must have been something wrong with the other drinks.

It would be like saying "I got to BK every day and get a whopper, but lately I have been pondering getting a chicken royale, I know chicken might not be to everybodies taste so am worried I might not even like it".

Lol that made me laugh. :D

I haven't been going out lately because I have the leaving cert coming up! I intend on getting a pint next time I'm in a pub, whenever that will be. I'm assuming June 23rd when I finish. :P

I was more just wondering which of the three main stouts to try first? I heard Beamish was the sweetest and more creamy than the others?

I've heard plenty of good things about O Hara's but it's impossible to find.. Dunno where to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Lol that made me laugh. :D

I haven't been going out lately because I have the leaving cert coming up! I intend on getting a pint next time I'm in a pub, whenever that will be. I'm assuming June 23rd when I finish. :P

I was more just wondering which of the three main stouts to try first? I heard Beamish was the sweetest and more creamy than the others?

I've heard plenty of good things about O Hara's but it's impossible to find.. Dunno where to get it

Draught O'Hara's is in very few pubs but this site will be of help to you.

http://www.irishcraftbrewer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=36

In bottle form it's common enough in the 4 main supermarket chains and many decent off licences across the country.

If you are only sitting the Leaving, I'd reasonably form the opinion that you are young enough; fair play to you for being willing to try something off the beaten track but be mindful of what you drink early on.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Draught O'Hara's is in very few pubs but this site will be of help to you.

http://www.irishcraftbrewer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=36

In bottle form it's common enough in the 4 main supermarket chains and many decent off licences across the country.

If you are only sitting the Leaving, I'd reasonably form the opinion that you are young enough; fair play to you for being willing to try something off the beaten track but be mindful of what you drink early on.

Don't worry I'm pretty sensible! Most of the time.. :rolleyes: I never over do it. That's only happened maybe twice :P Not a nice feeling getting sick :o

It's funny. After posting yesterday that I wouldn't be going out till after the leaving, I ended up going to a pub last night after work with the lads :P Tried Beamish and it's actually pretty nice! Will have to get some more! :D What's it like out of a can?

O Hara's is definitely something I want to try since I've heard good things about it. I'll have to take a proper look around to find some! :pac: What's ale like compared to stout? I heard it's not quite as 'sour' as stout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Don't worry I'm pretty sensible! Most of the time.. :rolleyes: I never over do it. That's only happened maybe twice :P Not a nice feeling getting sick :o

It's funny. After posting yesterday that I wouldn't be going out till after the leaving, I ended up going to a pub last night after work with the lads :P Tried Beamish and it's actually pretty nice! Will have to get some more! :D What's it like out of a can?

O Hara's is definitely something I want to try since I've heard good things about it. I'll have to take a proper look around to find some! :pac: What's ale like compared to stout? I heard it's not quite as 'sour' as stout?

From a can, Beamish is reasonable when compared to it's pub pulled sister and a half decent choice for a few cans mid week.

Ale is a very different sort of taste compared to stout; I'd not use to word sour to describe it at all. For your first few trials, go with Smithwicks and Macardles a few times before trying O'Hara's or Belfast Ale so you can learn how and what to notice the differences between them. I'd prefer O'Hara's as it relies more on a more demure and malty sweetness whereas Smithwicks is more watery and you may find it goes down easier; overall it's trial and error until you find one you truly like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Don't be afraid to try something new on tap in the pub OP :-)

I never heard of Staropramen before but on a night out a few weeks ago, I asked the barman for a pint of it and it was delicious so I ended up having a few and I also get it now from the supermarket.

Moral of the story is always try a beer you don't know and you will find one that you will like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Georgio_77

I drink everything that burns.

Georgio_77 wrote: »
    I drink everything that burns.

Gotta love Jack Daniels ;)
    gurramok wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to try something new on tap in the pub OP :-)

I never heard of Staropramen before but on a night out a few weeks ago, I asked the barman for a pint of it and it was delicious so I ended up having a few and I also get it now from the supermarket.

Moral of the story is always try a beer you don't know and you will find one that you will like!

Yeah.. there was this one night we went to the pub and it was a relatively new experience for me so I was kinda excited. So many drinks, so little time to try them! :P I had 2 pints of heineken but I got bored of that so i moved onto something else. A pint of carlsberg, a pint of miller, a pint of bud, a pint of bulmers, Two shots of sambuca, and another pint of bulmers to wash it all down..

That was NOT a good night for me.. :( Let's just say I didn't feel well when i got home.. :( I put it down to a learning experience.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeah.. there was this one night we went to the pub and it was a relatively new experience for me so I was kinda excited. So many drinks, so little time to try them! :P I had 2 pints of heineken but I got bored of that so i moved onto something. A pint of carlsberg, a pint of miller, a pint of bud, a pint of bulmers, Two shots of sambuca, and another pint of bulmers to wash it all down..

That was NOT a good night for me.. :( Let's just say I didn't feel well when i got home.. :( I put it down to a learning experience.. ;)

Never mix cider drinking with beer drinking, it can be lethal for some(well me):)

Oh, the Beamish out of the can when cold obviously is the best stout out of a can there is. It beats the likes of Guinness by miles.

On new drinks, i do also drink an English drink called Hobgoblin. It's in Tesco and its quite nice, pity its not on tap in pubs:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Georgio_77

Gotta love Jack Daniels ;)

That happens to be my favourite :)

Never mix cider drinking with beer drinking, it can be lethal for some(well me):)

Oh, the Beamish out of the can when cold obviously is the best stout out of a can there is. It beats the likes of Guinness by miles.

On new drinks, i do also drink an English drink called Hobgoblin. It's in Tesco and its quite nice, pity its not on tap in pubs:(

Hobgoblin.. I'd drink it just for having a cool name! :P I'm fairly sure they have it in one of my local off-licenses actually :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cant be arsed

aldi beers ?

horse them into you like a man possessed !

Try something really different, Innis & Gunn can be got in most places now. Incredible beer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This.

It's much easier to appreciate a good drink when you've compared it to several others of its kind. Conversely, exploring the off-license shelves can really drive home just how awful the stuff you used to swear by tastes.

Advertisement