Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nettle Soup

Options
  • 28-05-2010 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here make it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I have, just make sure you get the very tender tips of the nettles which don't have any spines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

+1 on the tender tips.
    Use good chicken stock.

I use a little potato, onion, leek, celery, lots of nettles and a good amount of chives.
    A dollop of natural yoghurt is good to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Is it gone a little late for picking nettles? Or do you just have to search a bit harder to find young ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

April - May is the season really.
    But I reckon you could still find young ones alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Do have to use young ones? Would old ones taste really bad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Yep I make it fairly regularly, you could probably find young enough shoots if you tried, but definately steer clear of any that have gone to flower/seed they would be too tough and fibrous by now. Gotta have freshly grated nutmeg in it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Bob Z wrote: »

I was told that auld ones will leave you sitting on the loo for quite a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bob Z wrote: »

The older ones have the spines and the 'stinging' chemical in them the newer tender leaves don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The older ones have the spines and the 'stinging' chemical in them the newer tender leaves don't.
    makes no difference, the heat kills the spines and the sting

Advertisement