Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small camping stoves

Options
  • 28-05-2010 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

I'm looking for a small camping stove, a single burner at a reasonable price.
    I prefer gas to liquid fuel as I know at some point I would neglect to clean a liquid stove properly.

I saw a nice coleman F1 stove in germany about 2 weeks back for 30 euro and now wish I'd bought it but was unsure of how easy the gas would be to get over here.

The great outdoors have the MSR pocket rocket for 29.95 euro however I like the look of the Super fly with it's universal multi mount (that supposedly fits most cylinders) but it's a little more than I want to pay.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I don't know about the particular stove you're looking for, but I bought some stuff from Amazon.co.uk recently, for cheaper than what I've seen here. They've a huge range of camping equipment, though not all of their vendors deliver to Ireland, but it's still worth checking out, plus you can find customer reviews, which I find helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

If it's any use to you, I have a pocket rocket and have had for about 5 years now. It's excellent, has never failed me, boils water fast, is light as anything and the gas is available pretty much everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

You can't beat these and the canisters can be bought in most supermarkets.. Woodies, Halfords etc..

argos now sell the batch of 4 and 12 cannisters also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

:rolleyes: Nothing small about that stove dude !!

To be fair, I have a pocket rocket too. I have it years and like what was said above, I have never had an issue with finding the gas for it. I think all (though i maybe wrong) modern camping gas cylinders have the same thread on the top. I have used msr / coleman and primus cylinders with my stove.

edit: Just checked out that superfly and I am wrong. There are different types of cannisters. My bad.

you could also go for a trangia, but the gas burner isnt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

army surplus store in midleton do a generic pocket rocket for 15 quid, have had one for 2/3 years now and it's perfect, MSR canisters fit it perfectly, and it has piezo ignition so no faffing about with matches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PanK

ScottStorm wrote: »
    I'm looking for a small camping stove, a single burner at a reasonable price.
    I prefer gas to liquid fuel as I know at some point I would neglect to clean a liquid stove properly.

I saw a nice coleman F1 stove in germany about 2 weeks back for 30 euro and now wish I'd bought it but was unsure of how easy the gas would be to get over here.

The great outdoors have the MSR pocket rocket for 29.95 euro however I like the look of the Super fly with it's universal multi mount (that supposedly fits most cylinders) but it's a little more than I want to pay.

any suggestions?
    I use the F1 for about 2 years now.Its pretty good, especialy when used with windscreen. Much better then gelert stuff anyway.
    Army Bargains had a deal 30 quid for stove + solo cook kit http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=8552-115&categoryid=5140&brand=
    not sure if they still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I'm leaning towards the MSR pocket rocket now, but have also spotted a generic model which seems to have ripped off the main design but not the burner and wind shield of the MSR design. This may be what coolmoose was referring to? If so it may be worth a look. I might even be down the cork direction in the coming weeks and save 5 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

ScottStorm wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions,

I'm leaning towards the MSR pocket rocket now, but have also spotted a generic model which seems to have ripped off the main design but not the burner and wind shield of the MSR design. This may be what coolmoose was referring to? If so it may be worth a look. I might even be down the cork direction in the coming weeks and save 5 euro.

that's the one! great little yoke, well worth the 15 quid. the wind shield is the part of the MSR stove that I miss, but I've never had any real trouble with the wind whilst cooking, just find a bit of a sheltered spot before cooking.

piezo ignition is the business too!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Again thanks for all the help, I've bitten the bullet and ordered from amazon, It appears to be another rip off of the pocket rocket (a little heavier) but includes the wind shield, I hope the flame is just as cool! There were no reviews so curiosity won out and I went for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

does anyone have experience with Jetboil Flash? http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/flash.html

thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No personal experience, but I do hear good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Road Bandit

Jet boiler is fantastic for boiling water, thats where it stops. If you try to use it as a pot to heat up food its not going to work out too well.
    this is what I use to heat food when backpacking / camping
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/primus-express-stove/fuseaction/products.detail/code/97110007/group/232/level/3
    This combo looks pretty good I'll vouch for the stove and the pot.
    http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/primus-etaexpress/fuseaction/products.detail/code/97110008/group/232/level/3
    Enjoy

Advertisement