Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offer of place on social care in DIT

Options
  • 28-05-2010 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I applied for Social care, had my interview at beginning of may and receivced a letter this week from the college offering me a place!! anyone got any advice or info on what i need to do now?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I got one also, as far as I know its just a matter of waiting for the CAO offer to come out and replying to that to let them know you are taking it. Also if they included your Garda vetting form its probably a good idea to make a start on getting that sorted as I have heard it can take a while.

Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Congrats to you both.

If you're moving to Dublin to do the course, you could start thinking about accommodation. http://www.dit.ie/campuslife/studentsupport/accommodation/ . There's a lot more available than there was three years ago, but the earlier you start the better chance you have of getting a decent place to stay close to college.

Also if you're a mature student, or indeed if you're not, you could start making enquiries about student grants, finance etc. The grant forms are out earlier this year than usual.

Bob (our very helpful Mature Student Support Officer) has put a lot of info up about grants here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/grants/

Look forward to seeing you here in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Thanks Campuslife, yeah im going as a mature student so im gona download the form today from student finance, but do i not have to wait for my CAO offer to do that or can i do it on the basis of the DIT offer? I think i got the garda vetting form with it so im gona check and if so do it immeadiatly cos it took ages to get it done for my last course!!:eek:

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi OP,

You can apply for your grant straight away on the basis of the offer letter from DIT. The sooner you get the application in the better!

The forms you'll need are:

Grant Application Form: http://www.dit.ie/media/images/study/maturestudents/2010%20Grant%20Application%20Form.pdf

Grant Information Booklet: http://www.dit.ie/media/images/study/maturestudents/2010%20Grant%20Info%20Booklet.pdf

FA-1 Course Acceptance Form: http://www.dit.ie/media/images/study/maturestudents/2010%20Form%20FA-1.pdf

You can send in the grant application form straight away and then send in the FA-1 form after you have formally accepted the CAO offer of a place in the course. But once you have sent in the grant application, they should start to process it.

There's lots of Frequently Asked Questions, hints and tips available here: http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/grants/hegs/

If you have any other questions, you can always contact me at ms.info(at)dit.ie or on (01) 402 7658.

Looking forward to seeing you in September!

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

hey, ditmature, thanks for that, really helpful, have went onto the site and saved the forms. i dont have a printer so will have to go to internet shop to print it off..pain in the you know what :rolleyes:
    Or unless im wrong an it can be filled out an sent online can it?

• Advertisement

Hi qwertylk,

No, the form can't be filled in online YET at any rate - I believe that's in the pipeline for introduction in the next year or two.

Best of luck!

Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dratsab.live

Just wanted to add that local authority grant forms are available at your local citizen advice centre.
    If only I knew where to send them!!!
    Do I send them to the local social welfare office or dublin city council on the quays (salt and pepper buildings). Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi dratsab.live,

You should send the grant application form to one of the following:

- If you want to study a Level 6 (Cert) or a Level 7 (Ordinary Degree) then you should send the grant application to the VEC where you were resident on the 1st October 2009

If you want to study a Level 8 (Honours Degree), then you should send the grant application to the City/County Council where you were resident on the 1st October 2009

If you have applied for a combination of Level 6/7/8 programmes, send the form to the authority that manages the grant for the course you feel you are most likely to get into.

You may get offered a place on all of the courses that you have applied for but you can only accept your place on one of them.

As soon as you are offered a place on the course and have accepted it, send the FA-1 (final course acceptance form) form to the same authority.

If it happens that you send the application form and FA-1 form to the County Council, but end up getting offered a Level 6 or 7, the council will forward on your application to the VEC for you, so there's no need to worry about that.

You can find a full list of addresses for all the VECs and Councils in Ireland here:

http://www.dit.ie/study/mature/support/finance/grants/grantcontacts/

Cheers

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Capricorn1

Hi I applied for the Social Care course also, I received a letter from them stating they had received my application but unfortunately I have not heard from them in relation to interviews, I have left two voice messages and still nothing.

I was wondering if anyone else who has completed a FETAC course in 2010 has had an interview with DIT, I am hoping the case is that they are waiting for the FETAC results to come out before interviewing applicants who have just completed a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auds1

Hi there,

I hope you are keeping well and enjoyed your course.

I'm thinking of applying for a Social Care course in DIT as an non standard applicant this coming year. I see from a your message albeit a while ago that you were successful in getting on the course. Any tips on how to get an interview and if successful on being shortlisted for the interview, what does the interview entail?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

auds1 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I hope you are keeping well and enjoyed your course.

I'm thinking of applying for a Social Care course in DIT as an non standard applicant this coming year. I see from a your message albeit a while ago that you were successful in getting on the course. Any tips on how to get an interview and if successful on being shortlisted for the interview, what does the interview entail?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you.

Mod

Hi,

Welcome to boards. Resurrecting old threads isn't usually the done thing, as the information is usually very out of date and the original posters won't see you reply - your best bet would be to either start a new thread about it, or to PM the poster who started the thread and ask them if they'd mind giving you some info.

I'm going to lock this thread now.

GR

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement