Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average age of gamer is 32

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The ESA study is just bad science. It was completed by 'consumer panel members' which probably eliminates anyone below 19 and I'm guessing the younger you get the less likely you would bother your hoop filling out this survey. If they wanted a better figure they could take the average age of PSN, Steam or XBL users.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Surveyors need to take to the streets, to the game shops, and to online digital distributors in order to get an average age. Personally I think the average age would be mid 20s if not late 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laoishibee

I believe this survey is for the U.s? no?

We'll there is a lot af weirdos over there i guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i am 24, and all my life i play computer games, started at arcades, then nes, then sega, then ps1, ps2, PC, ps3, xbox360...

At work me and anther lads are pure gamers ( out of 50 people staff), when we start talking about some games, people just look at us like we are some kind of animals, which ran out of zoo by accsident...

32 wouldnt be accurate, theres still alot of young gamers, who newer did any polls, as they dont care about em. Thought this age will increase for sure from what it is now...

I played games now for 18 years, and i really dont see why should i quit them...

p.s. and no i am not some kind of troll living in basement of my mums house, in fact i live with misses for last 6 years in same house :D. she is very understanding about mine hobies and newer interfare, same as i dont interfare hers. For example, i came back 2:00 at night from a "car meet club" last night, she only asked me how was it and did i had fun :D

So you can be old, still play computer games, have family, have fun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

24 is old now?! :)

I'm a year over the average, won't be quitting any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

I'm 30, and most guys i know have a console, even if most people just use em for fifa and racing games.
    So whilst the majority of gamers might not be over 32, there is a huge number of us. We played paper boy, fifa 95, cannon fodder, pitfall, halo, advance wars, f-zero, sonic, beneath a steel sky, half life, double dragon, final fight, mgs, so don't ye young whippersnappers be lolling at us!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I haven't played a game in a couple of weeks now with the good weather and all, that looks set to change this weekend, ah well (cracks knuckles).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i'm 32! til december - woulda thought it was a minority 6-7yr ago but them years just.. vanished. n here i am - i guess thats how it goes i suspect others grew older too?! :pac:

-doesn't average age mean all ages considered be it older than / younger than with the result bein dead center of the ages surveyed? !

these things baffle me

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thinking about it some more more I suspect that as these survey likely cover players of online games such as Second life, which younger gamers wouldn't be caught dead playing (and can't up to 13 anyway) would have ahave a higher age profile, and probably pushes the averages up over say a survey just covering your average Xbox live, PSN or steam user.

It is gaming alright but not as we know it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'm 30, and most guys i know have a console, even if most people just use em for fifa and racing games.
    So whilst the majority of gamers might not be over 32, there is a huge number of us. We played paper boy, fifa 95, cannon fodder, pitfall, halo, advance wars, f-zero, sonic, beneath a steel sky, half life, double dragon, final fight, mgs, so don't ye young whippersnappers be lolling at us!:pac:

i am 24, and those were my golden times :D . Cannon fodder.... damn i miss it now... easy to play, but so hard to master...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

'Sampling Bias' ITT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I don't believe this. An internet survey is not a viable cross-section of the gamers market, and to "even out" the kids playing consoles there'd have to be many 50+ year old gamers. I'm not judging - that's awesome, i hope to be a gamer at 50 - but I doubt it averages out at 50.

That's like saying whoever pays the NTL bill watches Kerrang all day, and not the teenager.

Maybe a better idea would be to have these surveyers hang out at HMV and Gamestop for a month and ask who they're buying games for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Whayhaaay! I'm a young gamer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

right this thread needs a poll or a new thread
    i'm 36 and have a PS3, Wii and gaming PC for this current gen of gaming platforms
    have been playing since pestering my mum for 10p to play Space Invaders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Woo Hoo, I am average at something :D

even if the data seems a bit skewed

I haven't played enough reccently but I have Alan Wake and Red Dead Redemption lined up for the long weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

i'm 19, I grew up on ye old mega drive! italia 90 was the shiz :D I still play final fantasy v11 I think it's silly to discuss the validity of a poll as you will always miss some demographic and the samples will never be big enough, my own estimate would be that the average age of all gamers in the world would be something more like 23-25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

Vegeta wrote: »

I am a cynical person at heart anyway but for every 30year+ gamer I know personally I know twenty or thirty 10-20 year olds.

I don't know any 10-20 year old gamers, the ones I know are all 30+. That doesn't mean I want to make it into a statistic, though. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I am the average age. I'd have a spread of friends within 10-12 years of me (5-6 each way) that are solid gamers too.

I'd have thought it younger myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I had to look this up for a college project before... Surprisingly enough, most casual gamers (the likes of bejeweled) are female and above that average age. If you look at popcap's site, all the info about their customers and everything is up there. With ease of access to games now and all that jazz I wouldn't be surprised if that goes up a bit in the coming years.

Quote from popcap website:
    • Percentage of PopCap customers that are female (More than 65%)
    • Percentage of PopCap customers that are over the age of 29 (More than 75%)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Damn right. I play Peggle to attract teh wimminz

• Advertisement
Advertisement