Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee to go

Options
  • 28-05-2010 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

Coffee in general and coffee to go in particular are madly priced in Ireland anyway, but...

...this morning I went to the Statoil garage on the (former) Cork Road in Waterford City to get a regular (as opposed to the small one) coffee.

So she says to me 'You know there's a free donut with the coffee at that price?'. I say 'I don't want a donut thanks, what you mean with "at that price"?'
    She replies 'That's a large coffee from the machine, right? That's 2.99'.
    WTF?

In fairness to her she didn't get ratty when I didn't take the coffee after...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Boskowski wrote: »
    So she says to me 'You know there's a free donut with the coffee at that price?'. I say 'I don't want a donut thanks, what you mean with "at that price"?'
    She replies 'That's a large coffee from the machine, right? That's 2.99'.

I expect they did a smaller one for about €2, and the larger one came with a free donut, so I don't think you really got ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I expect they did a smaller one for about €2, and the larger one came with a free donut, so I don't think you really got ripped off

You're obviously joking. You wouldn't consider 2 Euro for a small coffee or selling a large coffee in a 3 Euro bundle only a rip-off? Where you from? Fkn Monaco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Not really no, it's pretty standard. Spend more and get more.

Well if you guys genuinely don't think that 2.99 for a coffee is a ripoff then I'm not sure what you doing on this forum. Because quite frankly you deserve to be taken advantage off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

€3 is indeed a ripoff for a coffee. But how big of a cup are we talking? Regular or large? €2 is roughly average for a regular around dublin, at least in my experience. But I've seen coffee even more expensive.

Tbh this is how petrol stations make their money, you have to expect to pay inflated prices for snacks in these places.

• Advertisement

Elessar wrote: »
    €3 is indeed a ripoff for a coffee. But how big of a cup are we talking? Regular or large? €2 is roughly average for a regular around dublin, at least in my experience. But I've seen coffee even more expensive.

Tbh this is how petrol stations make their money, you have to expect to pay inflated prices for snacks in these places.

Size is small and regular only they call it regular and large. Also same coffee has been 2.20 couple months back which is also expensive. But now they have upped it to 2.99 and let you have a 'free' donut with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is no such thing as a free lunch/donut, the price is included with this so you can think of it as a meal deal and the drink on its own was not available separately. Perhaps now the staff might tell the owner about incidents like this and it would be separated again.
    Boskowski wrote: »
    Well if you guys genuinely don't think that 2.99 for a coffee is a ripoff then I'm not sure what you doing on this forum. Because quite frankly you deserve to be taken advantage off.
    They said it is normal, neither said they pay this themselves, all they said it is the price to be expected which it is.

I would never buy coffee in a cafe, let alone a petrol station. I would expect a bar of chocolate to be 90cent to €1.50 in a petrol station, and again would never buy one there. Bags of sugar are probably expensive there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Whilst I agree with the op that 3€ is a bloody rip off for a coffee, I'm a wee bit surprised that they hadn't twigged this is the price before?

By Statoil, I presume you mean Topaz?

If so, I'm pretty sure that the donut is given with every coffee for something like 5c extra, as the op prob got a 'big gulp' cup, their wasn't a surcharge for the donut.

Being a sales rep, and on the road a lot, I know a thing or two about coffee from service stations!

If it's any help, Subway do 99c coffee which is pretty good IMHO!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭skinnyboy

the petrol station i work in in the city our coffee is 2.15 and tea 1.70..and i do be ashammed askin for 2.15 for a coffee its madness

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

While I agree that 2.99 is expensive for a standard coffee (i.e. not a latte or the likes) it's a normal enough price in petrol stations. I try to avoid meeting my coffee needs in these places, plus the coffee tends to be awful :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I'd always check the price before ordering and if a price is not displayed, I don't order.

€2.99 is expensive for something that has a cost price of about 25c (2 shots coffee, hot water, cup) but it the same form of pricing you see in servoce stations on UK & european motorways too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It does seem expensive, but if she had not told you about the free donut, would you have bought it?

Maybe she should have said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I paid £2.60 in an English service station for a black coffee last week, roughly 250mls. The doughnut was a further £1.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

91011 wrote: »
    I'd always check the price before ordering and if a price is not displayed, I don't order.

€2.99 is expensive for something that has a cost price of about 25c (2 shots coffee, hot water, cup) but it the same form of pricing you see in servoce stations on UK & european motorways too.

Total, TinQ, Shell, Aral all charge 2.50 - 3.00 for a regular coffee.

Cheapest i've seen is 1.80 for perculated coffee in an Esso just outside Eindhoven.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm not going to argue about value for money but I'd be more concerned with the qualiity of the coffee on offer here. I don't buy coffee in places like this anymore, not just because it's a rip off (coffee in Ireland is a rip off, period) but because the quality is awful. I'd rather an over-priced water ;)

Advertisement