Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car parked too close to a turn

• 28-05-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me.

I was out with my instructor the other evening and this happened. We were making a right turn into a road but there was a parked car too close to the junction so I had to swing my car around it to avoid it. I knew full well this was wrong and my instructor told me so also.

He then told me what I should have done in that situation, but I can't remember what he said! My next lesson isn't for another fortnight and I'd like to know before then. I think he said I could do one of two things:

1. Take the turn as usual but stop behind the stupidly parked car and then indicate to overtake and do so as usual.

or

2. Take the corner wide provided there are no cars coming from the road I'm turning into.

The second option doesn't sound likely but I really can't remember what he said**. Does anyone know what I sould do in this situation?

Thanks for any help!

**I don't normally forget, by the way, but we were working on fine tuning my driving and getting rid of any bad habits I've picked up so it was a bit of an information overload!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

cosmic wrote: »
    Hi, I was hoping someone could help me.

I was out with my instructor the other evening and this happened. We were making a right turn into a road but there was a car too close to the junction so I had to swing my car around it to avoid it. I knew full well this was wrong and my instructor told me so also.

He then told me what I should have done in that situation, but I can't remember what he said! My next lesson isn't for another fortnight and I'd like to know before then. I think he said I could do one of two things:

1. Take the turn as usual but stop behind the stupidly parked car and then indicate to overtake and do so as usual.

or

2. Take the corner wide provided there are no cars coming from the road I'm turning into.

The second option doesn't sound likely but I really can't remember what he said**. Does anyone know what I sould do in this situation?

Thanks for any help!

**I don't normally forget, by the way, but we were working on fine tuning my driving and getting rid of any bad habits I've picked up so it was a bit of an information overload!

Depends really on how far from the entrance to the junction the car is parked.

If you can comfortably turn into the junction and get in 'behind' the parked car whilst not leaving your back end in the juction and having room to pull out forwards then you should do so - on the way into the junction make sure there is no traffic oncoming and you will barely have to stop.

If the car is really close or on the junction then obviously you cannot pull in behind it as you will be creating a danger in the junction - in this scenario curse the other driver's idiotic parking:D then do not commence your turn until you can do so whilst parking the parked vehicle safely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

thebiglad wrote: »
    If you can comfortably turn into the junction and get in 'behind' the parked car whilst not leaving your back end in the juction and having room to pull out forwards then you should do so - on the way into the junction make sure there is no traffic oncoming and you will barely have to stop.

Excellent, thank you!

Advertisement