Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boom Bap is ooking for a car

• 28-05-2010 10:00am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it's time to say goodbye to my '01 Punto, it's still running great but I get the feeling that it's too good to be true and that something is going to happen to her. I would say at this point it's pointless investing funds to fix anything because i'll end up spending more than it's worth.

So i'm looking to throw between 2 - 3k at a newer car, not something powerful, anything up to 1.4 should be grand. I'm only going to be using this car for driving in and out of work so a small hatch would be grand. I have my other family car for longer journeys that require more comfort (Corolla....yawn :) )

I've been looking at Clio's, plan to test drive one this weekend to see what they feel like. I'm not a massive fan of Polo's and i certainly dont want another Punto, not that they arent good, just need a change.

The things that catch my eye are the newer Swifts but a bit out of my price range at the moment. Another thing that has grabbed my eye is a Rover Streetwise, i know nothing about them so any feedback would be appreciated.

oh and i've seen another thread recommending the Pug 406 Coupe.....i would love it but i dont need all that car for nipping to work.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Ook away Boom, Ook away.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

i noticed my typo, but though that ooking is much cooler that looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

1) You're spending 2-3k to avoid the chance of general maintenance/ repairs? Better the devil you know etc and I don't believe in the idea of 'its worth this- therefore its not worth fixing'. I always argue that it's your so why not keep it in good order?

2) If you want to get shot anyway (which is fair enough), just because you don't have big useage, doesn't mean the smallest possible car is the most appropriate. It will cost no more to run a 1.4 ish medium sized type car which, IMO, is the minimum size car that is suitable for this country. A car's intended use is one thing but how many people never deviate from this useage ever?

3) Some would argue that low mileage is the exact right time to get that car that you always wanted.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1300785 Bargain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    So it's time to say goodbye to my '01 Punto, it's still running great but I get the feeling that it's too good to be true and that something is going to happen to her. I would say at this point it's pointless investing funds to fix anything because i'll end up spending more than it's worth.
    Its worth nothing now, it will still be worth nothing when it all falls apart. Why not just keep driving it until it all falls apart?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gurgle wrote: »
    Its worth nothing now, it will still be worth nothing when it all falls apart. Why not just keep driving it until it all falls apart?

I'm looking for something different now, i'm just getting bored of the Punto now and have a bit of cash lying around.

EDIT: And now i might get a little for trade in from the Punto rather than when it's dead.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

i noticed my typo, but though that ooking is much cooler that looking

sure is......:D

Re; the rover - avoid, total shytebox - so, you'd like a hatch for 2 or 3 k.
    Ford Focus 1.4 3dr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i might get a little for trade in from the Punto rather than when it's dead.

I wouldn't be trying to trade it. You would be as well off giving it away instead of trading it. Stick it up on Done Deal with a realistic price and go looking for a replacement with cash in your hand. Cars for less than 5k are no better value than in boom times, IME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Consonant please, Carol ...

countdown.jpg
    :D

Advertisement