Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing Query

Options
  • 28-05-2010 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Could anyone advise me please!!! I have no knowledge of terminology for the web world so bear with me, I am looking for advice on the type of quotes I should expect from a web designer to help me design a website that will several category sections, have an online shop section, articles and advice section to include videos. The main aim for the site would be to sell animated fitness programs and possibly a membership section with partnered professionals advice.
    Along with this, as the animations I have are not mine, with copyright issues I would be also looking to talk to someone about developing animations if possible.
    I have an idea of where I want to get with this but have no idea how to go about it and will need someone legit as funds are v low, no disrespect to anyone intended! I am in the Galway area.
    Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

You cant afford a website if your funds are low.
    We work as hard as any other professional, yet people assume its easy and straight forward so expect alot more for little buck.
    This is what you're asking for

A Website design [graphic]
    Website itself [code]
    Dynamic so its for articles [more code]
    Registration system, so login etc [more code]
    Shopping cart, so payment system too [more code]
    Videos [animation, not even webdev]

Price would vary, i would personally say €2k without the videos.
    But you would be lucky to get that quote from a Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Placebo wrote: »
    You cant afford a website if your funds are low.
    We work as hard as any other professional, yet people assume its easy and straight forward so expect alot more for little buck.
    This is what you're asking for

A Website design [graphic]
    Website itself [code]
    Dynamic so its for articles [more code]
    Registration system, so login etc [more code]
    Shopping cart, so payment system too [more code]
    Videos [animation, not even webdev]

Price would vary, i would personally say €2k without the videos.
    But you would be lucky to get that quote from a Company.

I second this. I think a lot of people (and I'm not including the OP in this) are under the assumption that knocking a custom website with the aforementioned features is a trivial task, should take no longer than a few hours with a price tag of a few hundred euro.

€2000 sounds about right to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 josie5

Thanks for the advice and sorry for my ignorance on this. Was looking for a price range as I am unaware of what the norm is in this market. No disrespect intended guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think 2K sounds quite low myself, unless there are some existing suitable mods that could be fitted to an open source eCommerce package.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

I agree, 2k sounds very low for a professional job, also the custom animations are likely to cost more than the site I'd have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

I think you might be able to get it at a squeeze for 2k with a fair bit of shopping around as I think lately it's becoming a race to the bottom.

However in my opinion this would still be a basic enough design and without the animations/videos which are a bit of an unknown cost/quantity.

fergalfrog wrote: »
    becoming a race to the bottom.

For the people churning out templates yes, for well thought out, custom designed sites it's far from that I've found, literally never been busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It's not hard to find someone who will rebrand an off-the-shelf package for a cheap price. And I don't even think there's all that much wrong with that, if I'm honest.

But in this case, we're talking about a few distinct bits of functionality that have to tie in with each other. This is where the install-a-script guys can fall down unless there are existing mods out there that happen to do the same thing.

I would be quite concerned about what you would get for 2K - especially if the OP isn't familiar with the technology to be very firm with the requirements.

eoin wrote: »
    It's not hard to find someone who will rebrand an off-the-shelf package for a cheap price. And I don't even think there's all that much wrong with that, if I'm honest.

But in this case, we're talking about a few distinct bits of functionality that have to tie in with each other. This is where the install-a-script guys can fall down unless there are existing mods out there that happen to do the same thing.

I would be quite concerned about what you would get for 2K - especially if the OP isn't familiar with the technology to be very firm with the requirements.

This is the area I am worried about, the fact that I do not know what technology is involved, don't want to get a large bill for something I didn't want. How much time are web developers willing to put into the initial consultancy to come up with a quote? I feel I need to talk this out with someone to get my idea across!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

josie5 wrote: »
    How much time are web developers willing to put into the initial consultancy to come up with a quote? I feel I need to talk this out with someone to get my idea across!

I think most web developers won't charge anything for an initial consultancy in relation to coming up with your requirements and working towards coming up with a quote/proposal.

PM sent.

• Advertisement

Yep most will have an initial consult for free, when looking for someone take a look at what they've done, so if you're looking at one of their ecommerce sites, as a consumer do you like it? would you order from it?

If you're unfamiliar with the technical aspects of the web that's not a massive problem, but remember you probably have experience of the web as a consumer, I think a lot of people with little knowledge of how the web actually works don't give themselves enough credit, and can take too much of a back seat in the process.

Take your time picking someone, because the industry is full of cowboys. Heres a few sites which might help when searching for a designer.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/10/23/showcase-of-web-design-in-ireland-2/
    http://sortfolio.com/ireland (you can narrow it down to galway, but there's only one company listed on that site then)
    http://www.webdesignire.com/

Oh, also there's a site you should check out that has a lot of posts catering to website buyers, and also a book - but have a trawl through this site: http://boagworld.com/ some will be relevant (a good bit won't but it's useful all the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if you go to a proper agency, you will get quoted something a hell of a lot higher, maybe even 10 times higher at the top end guys. sure a 5 page brochure site with a logo will set you back about 3k from most agencies...

thanks to everyone for their input on this. This is the type of insight into the industry I was hoping for. pixelcraft, thanks for those references, I will check them out.

Advertisement