Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Cert

Options
  • 28-05-2010 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

Should a new tennant be shown this when signing the lease? Or does it have nothing to do with the tennant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It should really be shown before signing a lease as it's meant to be a factor in whether you'd take a property or not. i.e. an indication of your heating bills and comfort in the property and whether your landlord should be replacing things.

If you've signed the lease I don't see the need for a tenant to see it, what difference would it make?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Cathooo wrote: »
    It should really be shown before signing a lease as it's meant to be a factor in whether you'd take a property or not. i.e. an indication of your heating bills and comfort in the property and whether your landlord should be replacing things.

If you've signed the lease I don't see the need for a tenant to see it, what difference would it make?

I haven't signed yet, thats why I was wondering should I ask them to bring it. Guess I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Spud83 wrote: »
    I haven't signed yet, thats why I was wondering should I ask them to bring it. Guess I will.

Do you know if they have one? If you ask for one and they don't it could put a delay on things for you.

Would it make much of a difference to you what the rating is? Would you not accept the place if it has a poor rating?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Spud83 wrote: »
    Should a new tennant be shown this when signing the lease? Or does it have nothing to do with the tennant.

Oh no, the tenant absolutely should check the BER. The main reason BERs were introduced was to guide potential buyers and renters, so they are mainly for your benefit, not the property owner.

As someone who once lived in an icebox apartment that I simply could not get warm no matter how much I left the heating on, I encourage you most strongly to check the BER and reject the property if it isn't up to scratch.

Advertisement