Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in Speed Boats

Options
  • 28-05-2010 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

HI , does anyone know how i can try get my 3 yr old shetland sheepdog onto our new 6ft spped boat. we paln to take him out on it with us throughout the summer, were launching it next week so wondering does anyone have any ideas of how to introduce him onto the boat as he can not swim.(HE HAS A LIFE JACKET)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

TBH I wouldn't think a speedboat & a dog that can't swim are a great combination - life jacket or no. Speedboats have one purpose - speed. If the dog is at all nervous of the speed or the water he is likely to jump out of the boat. Even with a lifejacket that would be a very dangerous situation for all concerned. Plus you need to be concentrating on the boat - steering, etc, not the dog.

We have combined dogs & boats in the past. Our rule was only take the dogs if we were going on small, calm rivers or lakes - never on the sea or large expanses of fast-moving water. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

LisaO wrote: »
    never on the sea or large expanses of fast-moving water. HTH.
    Yeh id agree. Theres no way id bring my dog on a fast moving boat if i didnt know it could swim. The few speed boats or RIBs ive been on ive had to hang on for dear life to the side ropes or be flung in :eek: Unless you have a harness its going to be one scary ride for your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I really wouldn't want to try it, I had a dog jump out the window in a car before (she was fine) it was scary, I'd hate to see what a speed boat would be like.

Advertisement