Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

hopefully it wont rain like it did last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

i dont understand why theres an african day around the country when theres a heck of a lot more polish and chinese etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

Most Poles don't have time to celebrate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Arrived towards the end last year, but still really enjoyed it. The weather was slightly all over the place, but the atmosphere was still great there.
    dave 27 wrote: »
    i dont understand why theres an african day around the country when theres a heck of a lot more polish and chinese etc?

It's a worldwide thing, not just Irish, so the size of the other minorities groups in Ireland is irrelevant. Plus, I'd imagine the African continent has a greater need for promotion and attention than China or Poland. Don't we kinda celebrate Chinese New Year?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Rineanna wrote: »
    Plus, I'd imagine the African continent has a greater need for promotion and attention

Wont they have millions tuning in to the world cup there in 2 weeks? and what about the endless ads on the telly?

• Advertisement

dave 27 wrote: »

Same reason St Patricks day is celebrated worldwide.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

More fawning over the uninvited again,at the taxpayers cost no doubt.

allimac wrote: »
    More fawning over the uninvited again,at the taxpayers cost no doubt.

Just because you didnt "invite" someone dont assume others didnt. And also some of the "uninvited" also pay tax..

Who did?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

This is not a debate about immigration

• Advertisement

There is never any debate about immigration.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

allimac wrote: »
    There is never any debate about immigration.

To be fair, there are other, more suitable forums for debating immigration than the Limerick City forum.

Judging by the cloud today, they'll be lucky if the weather is good for tomorrow's event.

There was still a pretty good turnout last year even with the rain..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Some of the artists performing tomorrow: http://www.africaday.ie/limerick/music-stage.aspx
    Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Wont they have millions tuning in to the world cup there in 2 weeks? and what about the endless ads on the telly?

Sure isn't that enough for them. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Will let you know how it goes!
    Will post a few pics

Will also be at the Vintage Car Show out by Unigolf tomorrow.

Busy Sunday!

:)

Here are a few from Last year to give you a flavour of what the day is like.

IMGP7351.JPG

IMGP7372.JPG

IMGP7384.JPG

IMGP7391.JPG

Worth a Visit! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What time does this thing start?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Should be good craic. It was good fun last year.

Rineanna wrote: »
    Some of the artists performing tomorrow: http://www.africaday.ie/limerick/music-stage.aspx

Sure isn't that enough for them. :rolleyes:

What else would they like to get world wide attention? and for what may I add?

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    What else would they like to get world wide attention? and for what may I add?

Troll

Stab*City wrote: »
    Troll

Goblin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

How the hell do some people have problems with this special occasion?! What's wrong with people wanting to celebrate a different culture for one day of the year? Nobody is forcing anyone on Boards to take part in it. Nobody is being forced to give up their time or their money.

Surely an event that promotes enjoyment, understanding and appreciation of differences should be lauded, not demonised. The lack of empathy and understanding displayed by some here is shocking, bordering on out-right bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Got to see some of it today in bursts, and there seemed to be a good turnout.

So many fascinating cultures were on display today, with just as many proud traditions, and some of the food I tried was simply delicious.

It was really nice to chat to people who wanted to share the lore of their culture. I think folklore and the like is something that gets forgotten about in Ireland by the Irish. A shame really because Ireland really does have a rich and colourful culture that could be embraced.

The lack of empathy and understanding displayed by some here is shocking, bordering on out-right bigotry.

I think just the one poster had an issue, Iv nothing against it for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

How the hell do some people have problems with this special occasion?! What's wrong with people wanting to celebrate a different culture for one day of the year? Nobody is forcing anyone on Boards to take part in it.

As a multiculturalist, I am sure you welcome this event, as a non-multiculturalist I see no benefit to it, I am not in the least bit interested in any aspect of African culture.
    Nobody is being forced to give up their time or their money.
    I did'nt have any choice, the event is sponsored by Irish Aid, which in turn is funded by the taxpayer, nobody asked me.
    Surely an event that promotes enjoyment, understanding and appreciation of differences should be lauded, not demonised. The lack of empathy and understanding displayed by some here is shocking, bordering on out-right bigotry.

Agreed

jbkenn

jbkenn wrote: »
    I did'nt have any choice, the event is sponsored by Irish Aid, which in turn is funded by the taxpayer, nobody ask me.

Im sure if you contact irish aid you might get your penny back.

Im sure if you contact irish aid you might get your penny back.

A penny?, more like €671 million for 2010.

jbkenn wrote: »
    A penny?, more like €671 million for 2010.

Oh so you want irish aid to close up shop completley.. Sorry i didnt realise i thought it was just africa day you were against.

Oh so you want irish aid to close up shop completley.. Sorry i didnt realise i thought it was just africa day you were against.

I did not say that, you mentioned a penny, I gave you the true figure, besides if Irish Aid closed down, what would that muppet Peter Power T.D. do to put down his day.

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

IMGP8048.JPG

IMGP8032.JPG

IMGP8065.JPG

IMGP8034.JPG

Video here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJkXBxBNe2w

Great Day had by all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

This is my final warning on this. Jbkenn if you want to discuss the irish aid budget, take it to politics. this is a thread about Africa Day

Same goes for those that want to discuss immigration, how taxpayers money is spent, and so on. take it to politics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement