Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Link to some photos from todays event.
    http://s893.photobucket.com/albums/ac139/Builderfromhell/Africa%20Day%20Limerick%202010/
    I'll try to put some on ehre but not sure how to do it.

2.jpg

10.jpg
    13.jpg
    16.jpg

33.jpg
    40.jpg
    55.jpg

62.jpg
    58.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

This is my final warning on this. Jbkenn if you want to discuss the irish aid budget, take it to politics. this is a thread about Africa Day

Same goes for those that want to discuss immigration, how taxpayers money is spent, and so on. take it to politics.

Squid, if you took your head out of your ass, and read the thread, you would see that my post was in response to Insect Overlord getting on his high horse because somebody held a contrary view of the world to him, shock horror.
    Stab City decided I should get my penny back, I pointed out the true figure, he responded assuming I wanted Irish aid shut down, this is clearly not so.
    Squid you really need to get out more often, but, before you do, you might explain to us great unwashed, WTF Africa Day is all about, and, how exactly it benefits our fair city

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

jbkenn wrote: »
    you might explain to us great unwashed, WTF Africa Day is all about, and, how exactly it benefits our fair city

jbkenn

Africa Day is the annual commemoration on May 25 of the 1963 founding of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) - Wikipedia.

Presumably it benefits Limerick by getting people into the city centre when they might otherwise not have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

And it gives our many Irish-African citizens a chance to connect with their other heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Africa Day is the annual commemoration on May 25 of the 1963 founding of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) - Wikipedia.

Presumably it benefits Limerick by getting people into the city centre when they might otherwise not have done so.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

allimac wrote: »
    More fawning over the uninvited again,at the taxpayers cost no doubt.
    Who did?
    There is never any debate about immigration.

Yeah there was never an Irishman that emigrated in good times or in bad.

Did the Africans steal your Job or was it your Woman?

- Hopefully both ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

jbkenn wrote: »
    As a multiculturalist, I am sure you welcome this event, as a non-multiculturalist I see no benefit to it, I am not in the least bit interested in any aspect of African culture.

I did'nt have any choice, the event is sponsored by Irish Aid, which in turn is funded by the taxpayer, nobody asked me.

Agreed

jbkenn

What do you think of American cities holding St. Patrick's day parades, bloody cheek if you ask me. I've firebombed a few Irish bars on my travels too, I'll go to hell before I see anyone celebrate Irish culture outside of Ireland. I got weird looks when I started burning all the Joyce, Yeats, and Beckett books I found in a small bookshop in Paris but you have to stand by your principles, you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Raiser wrote: »
    Yeah there was never an Irishman that emigrated in good times or in bad.

They worked bloody hard when they did, never got anything handed to them and many died for their new homeland.

You'd be better off giving out about everyone that you believe to be scamming the Dole/State Benefits - Otherwise you'll just leave yourself open to accusations of being small minded, insularly racist, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    They worked bloody hard when they did, never got anything handed to them and many died for their new homeland.

The irish scam social welfare systems all over the world just as much as another other nationality. We did it in london/UK for decades.. Hell the irish are doing here at home too!! If you were irish or black 100/200/300 years ago you didnt have any job! People have very short memories..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Stab*City wrote: »
    The irish scam social welfare systems all over the world just as much as another other nationality.
    Do you have evidence to back up that wild claim?

Aidric wrote: »
    Do you have evidence to back up that wild claim?

Sounds about right to me - when we admire our Politicians for scamming and then re-elect them why would we think twice about a bit of casual, everyday Dole fraud?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Seeing as you failed at staying on topic, this thread is over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement