Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silverfish - what to do?

• 28-05-2010 10:59am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My husband got a box of his childhood comics from his mum, he wanted to go through them and keep some so yesterday we started. When I got to near the bottom of the box I saw some fast moving little critters. I'd never seen them before but something told me to google Silverfish and that's what they are.

I don't know if they've migrated out of the box but it was sitting in the hall for about 4 weeks. My husband still wants to keep the comics but I think we shouldn't, is there any way we can kill them off? We have a small baby as well.

Couldn't stop scratching yesterday from the thought of them and I'm at it here again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They are attracted to damp, humid places. So you must have a leak somewhere, even very small. They are relatively harmless, but they do grow in numbers fast enough. We had a house with them and fixing small leaks seemed to reduce the numbers dramatically. Collections of magazines, papers, and books provide food and harborage. So you want to seal them up in plastic boxes. Same with Cardboard and food in same.

Most pesticides for other insects had no effect. Even the ones that list silverfish seem to have no effect. Most pest companies didn't have a clue how to deal with them. Besides which is you kids you don't want to go that route.
    The best route seemed to be DRIONE DUST, silica gel and pyrethrin (e.g. Drione) and diatomaceous earth which I think (you should check yourself) are not harmful to humans. But I found it very hard to get any of that.

Advertisement