Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Improvising Thematically: Introducing "Melodic Imitation"

• 28-05-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Have you ever been asking yourself: "How can I develop my solos building up ideas in a more, thematic way?"

Some people like to talk the "call and response" method but, in my experience, very little time is spent on how to practically teach your brain to do that step by step.

So here there are 3 main techniques you can use to develop your solo thematically:

1) Imitation
    2) Extension
    3) Fragmentation

In this short article, I'll introduce the concept of imitation.

Step 1: Choose an easy rhythmic and harmonic setting (e.g., 4/4 , G7)

Step 2: Choose a very short melody (3-4 notes) and play it over and over.

Step 3: Create a variation of the original melody using the same rhythm and melodic curve (if you don’t know what a melodic curve is, just write the notes of your melody down and then join them. You’ll immediately see what your curve is).

Step 4: Play the new melody 4 times then play a new set of notes (still same melodic curve)

Step 5: Now choose a chord progression (e.g., II V I or an easy standard) and practice imitation throughout the harmonic progression. You can play the same set of notes over all changes or decide to change notes in different areas of the tune (e.g., AABA)

There you have 5 easy steps to start working on your thematic soloing. In my next article I’ll introduce the concept of “Extension”.

Advertisement