Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post issue

Options
  • 28-05-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I know there's a thread about An Post already but I have a different issue. I've been applying for jobs for about 3 months and heard nothing back. I know it's tough finding a job at the moment but I found it strange that I didn't hear a single thing, not even rejections in that time.

I just got an email from a company I applied to who said they sent me a letter 6 weeks ago which had just been returned to them with by the Return Letter Branch of An Post as they "couldn't find my address". I have lived at this address for over a year and have received post before and my boyfriend regularly receives post at the same address. That said, this isn't the first time that something has been returned because they couldn't find me. My boyfriend has never had this issue. I'm now freaking out, wondering how much post I haven't received and wondering if I've missed interviews and job opportunities.

I was wondering how/who do I go about contacting in An Post and telling them to cop on and that I do live at the address I'm at. What's annoying me most is that I get post now and then so it's like they have no idea at all where I'm living. I'm also annoyed at the length of time it's taking between a letter being posted and then returned to the sender.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hey,

I know there's a thread about An Post already but I have a different issue. I've been applying for jobs for about 3 months and heard nothing back. I know it's tough finding a job at the moment but I found it strange that I didn't hear a single thing, not even rejections in that time.

I just got an email from a company I applied to who said they sent me a letter 6 weeks ago which had just been returned to them with by the Return Letter Branch of An Post as they "couldn't find my address". I have lived at this address for over a year and have received post before and my boyfriend regularly receives post at the same address. That said, this isn't the first time that something has been returned because they couldn't find me. My boyfriend has never had this issue. I'm now freaking out, wondering how much post I haven't received and wondering if I've missed interviews and job opportunities.

I was wondering how/who do I go about contacting in An Post and telling them to cop on and that I do live at the address I'm at. What's annoying me most is that I get post now and then so it's like they have no idea at all where I'm living. I'm also annoyed at the length of time it's taking between a letter being posted and then returned to the sender.

Thanks.

A search on their website returns contact information in order to make a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Well it's not so much that I want to make a complaint; I want to get my post! The more I think about it the more I realise how many very important jobs I've applied for in the last few days with this address. I've also applied for a Masters. I just want to get post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Go to your local sorting office and look for a supervisor and make your concerns known to them. Not saying it'll work, I'm still getting the wrong mail and I've lived here for 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Try sending yourself some test letters, with typed addresses.

Talk nicely to the people in An Post. Try to avoid getting into an argument with your postman!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Are you using the exact same wording on the address as your boyfriend? Seams strange that two people living in the same address and only one gets post.

Other then that do as the others have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Del2005 wrote: »
    Are you using the exact same wording on the address as your boyfriend? Seams strange that two people living in the same address and only one gets post.

Other then that do as the others have said.

Not if it is a rural area, with no street numbers, or even street name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Do you know of anyone that doesn't like you that might be working in your local post office sorting your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

It could be useful to look for your address in the geo directory. There may be a difference between the address you use, and the official one in An Post's records

http://www.geodirectory.ie/GeodirectoryMap.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

Everyone should put a return address on every item they send,it speeds up the system if it has to be sent back.Have a chat with your postman and if no joy contact the sorting office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Get to know your postman.
    If you live rural then chances are your postman will be the same person everyday.
    We moved to the country about 5yrs ago - no post for the first month. Then one day we managed to flag down the postman driving by, told him our names and the next day he dropped in a box of post that had been building up for us.
    Since then we have put up electric gates so he doesn't have access so if he has a parcel or registered mail he will beep and wait a minute as my partner works from home and can just open the gates rather than us having to go to the sorting office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ergonomics wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks.

Did you ask the company what address they sent it to, it could have been a mistake on their part. "Couldn't find address" is not a recognised endorsement on undelivered mail, nearest would be "No such address"

Not that it's any help to you but 15,000 letters are received in the Returned Letter Branch every day (out of 3.5 million) and the most common reasons are "Insufficient address" and "Gone away".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its amazing what people sometimes expect from an post, people posting letters even to a small town like ours to Mr shelflife small town ireland , they forget that there may be a few shelflifes living in our town.

also people moving into the town and expecting the postman to know that they are living in that house which until recently was empty.

Op go to your local PO and have a quick chat with them, it will usually sort out any problems. also check the address that was on the undeliverable mail.

With the recent surge in building over the last number of years it has made the posties life a lot harder, believe it or not simply delivering the mail is the easiest way for them to do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Shelflife wrote: »
    Its amazing what people sometimes expect from an post, people posting letters even to a small town like ours to Mr shelflife small town ireland , they forget that there may be a few shelflifes living in our town.

also people moving into the town and expecting the postman to know that they are living in that house which until recently was empty.

Yes, if only there was some way of identifying WHICH Mr shelflife being referred to: say.... um.... the number of a house and it's street name etc. You could put it on the house AND the letter. Also, that would work with houses that were originally empty. The postman could deliver it to that address as paid for.
    ..... If only there was SOME way.

But, yeah, OP, as someone suggested above, try sending yourself someting. I had problems before (not in my current house). I posted a letter, a padded envelope and a card to myself. The letter was delivered OK but not the card or padded envelope strangely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Shelflife wrote: »

And I'd agree but I've been living in my house for 12 months now. I didn't realise I wasn't getting post until last week, otherwise I would have sorted this issue earlier. I'm going to the local post office this afternoon to see if they can help out. The post office is in the local shop where I go almost daily. They know my name and my address as I've order oil and stuff from there. I just wish the postman would have thought to ask there to see if anyone knew where I lived instead of not delivering my post for weeks or even months.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

with the amount of mail that a postman has to drop to each house he would not have to ask about where people live.The postman will sort his mail before he leaves the office and any wrongly addressed mail is marked and left behind.As already said,try meeting your postman and explain what happened.

Advertisement