Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About Websites

Options
  • 28-05-2010 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I am pretty noobish at web sites and I was wondering how much it would cost to get a webstie developed and hosted for the year on average. I am looking for prices for a 5 page and a 10 page website, no flash or videos (only embedding ability) I am looking for a good quality professional looking site.

I don't know what's really involved, but if I need to change something on the website, like a number or a picture, or some other information, would it take a long time on average? Who is the best to host with? Who is the cheapest?

Sorry but I really haven't a clue about any of this :( Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

There is so much more information need before anyone can give you even a rough idea of cost.How long is a piece of string?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

if I need to change something on the website, like a number or a picture, or some other information, would it take a long time on average

You should get a Content Management System (or CMS) along with the website. This is generally a web-based interface that administrative users can log in to and change various elements of the site. This would mean you're not waiting on a 3rd party to update the site for you. It shouldn't take any longer than logging into boards.ie and editing a post you've made.

But as hobochris says, there are so many more variables involved that it's impossible to give a price for what you should expect to pay for this work.

Edit - here are some questions to consider. By no means an exhaustive list, just off the top of my head
    • Who is this website for - presume it's for a business?
    • How much traffic is expected (could affect hosting costs)?
    • Do you need email accounts? How many if so?
    • Do you already have a logo and/or colour scheme that need to be integrated?
    • How quick do you need this done?
    • Exactly what updates will be needed? Some updates are very easy through a CMS. Updating images can be as simple. But if they're integrated into the design as opposed to stand alone images, then it will require work from a graphic designer.
    • Do you need dynamic content (e.g. news articles / blog posts)?
    • How will the site be marketed? Putting it up there isn't enough if you're hoping to attract more visitors. Are you going to pay for google adwords etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

The sad thing is that this exact question or something similar is asked on this forum at least once a week if not more. It is a legitimate question OP, and obviously in the current climate "how much?" is the question on every client's mind.

Please see this previous discussion: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055823258

My post is #5 on that page. Please read it. I know you have not mentioned e-commerce above, but the majority of my points are still valid/relevant. Everyone uses the web to look for stuff, if we have seen 1 website, we've seen millions. By and large, the average user can tell the difference between a site owned by someone who is only interested in "how much" and a site owned by someone who is willing to invest the time and money to get it right.

You are much better off presenting yourself as the latter to your customers up front, rather than scrambling to pay a professional to rescue your online reputation later on. In business you often only get one chance to make an impression.

Just because it's probably not what you want to hear doesn't make it a lie.

Advertisement