Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry-PH Scale Limitations

Options
  • 28-05-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

What are the limitations to the PH scale??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

One of them is that it doesn't indicate how concentrated in acid or base the substance is, it only gives its tendancy to donate or accept electrons. The other might be that it doesn't work for very very strong acids or bases. I'm pretty sure it's in the book though, haven't got it beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

One of them is that it doesn't indicate how concentrated in acid or base the substance is, it only gives its tendancy to donate or accept electrons. The other might be that it doesn't work for very very strong acids or bases. I'm pretty sure it's in the book though, haven't got it beside me.

Thanks! Yeah I can't find it in the book but thats not to say it isn't there.
    I know one is that it doesn't really work above 25C but I had forgotten this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

1- cannot measure very strong acids and bases
    2- its temperature dependant
    3-sample to be tested must be in solution so solids cannot be measured

off the top of my head thats them

Advertisement