Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2007 730d purchase

• 28-05-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭

Half considering buying a 730d 2007. They seem to be at about 33k now with better pricing for a straight buy Im sure. Will the arse fall out of them even more in the next 2 to 3 years to a degree that they will be almost worthless seeing as its now an old model & the tax is 1300. They are a fabulous car to be in imo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What mileage do you do? If not that high, a petrol might be a shrewder choice. It's cheaper to buy and less likely to go wrong. I guess an '07 730d for €30k is gonna be worth about half that in 3 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I'd say in 2 years you would be lucky to get near half that back, it still has a long way to fall, but, if you plan on keeping it for a while and are prepared for occasional unforeseen costs then what a car!

Another option is to go for a 2006 post facelift.

This is around €31K landed.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/auc/car_details/0,,1260_159980106__,00.html?currentCh=WBAHM22020DN36860

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BTW the motor tax on the CO2 based system is €1,100, so a pre '08 car doesn't really suffer much compared to a later car in this case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Thats a nice looking barge there alright.. would love to get my hands on one, just dont have the cash at the moment for any unforseen expenses that might pop up so I'll be holding offf or a year or three.. Id also consider one of these too..

Another option is this:

Audi A8

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

unkel wrote: »
    What mileage do you do? If not that high, a petrol might be a shrewder choice. It's cheaper to buy and less likely to go wrong. I guess an '07 730d for €30k is gonna be worth about half that in 3 years time.

Probably bang on, youd get an 04 730d for €15-€16k now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If i take the plunge on one of these in about 2 years it will certainly be a 750i. It will probably be my last chance to get a large engine car before the €2100 road tax kicks in with post '08 cars. They also changed the 750i to a V8 so it will be cheaper to get serviced.

As Unkel says, petrol is the way to go if you do about 10k miles a year or less, you won't save much otherwise and the motor tax is the same. An of course, you'll get a serious bump in power and bragging rights. ;)

Spec is also higher with the larger petrol models, 750s come fully loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

unkel wrote: »
    BTW the motor tax on the CO2 based system is €1,100, so a pre '08 car doesn't really suffer much compared to a later car in this case.

Yes there is not a difference worth talking about really in tax on these. Thats the only reason I would buy the 07. I believe the new model gets into the lower tax bands but it will be many years before an 07 & the new model are close enough in price for the tax difference to effect it.

I do around 20k miles a year so on a car like that it would have to be diesel, my first diesel also.

I dont think the uk is really worth it for one of these or an A8, doesnt seem to be major savings to be had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

No better place to be for 20k miles. ;)

The 3 litre diesel is no slouch all the same, does 60 in 7.8 seconds. Posts pics if you take the plunge. :)

Advertisement