Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incoming Passenger Card & Australian Customs?

Options
  • 28-05-2010 12:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I am travelling to Australia in July for a months Holiday and have been watching the aussie programme "Border Security" This is my first time visiting Oz and have a few questions about the incoming passenger card (back) that all travellers must fill up.

The first question I am concerned with is question one: Which asks; Are you bringing into Australia goods which maybe prohibited or subject to restrictions such as, Medicines, Steroids, Firearms, Weapons of any kind or illicit drugs?

I will be taking my asthma inhalers and some anti-hayfever medication, nasal sprays and sleeping tablets (for the long flights) so I presume I will have to declare them? as they are medicine? I will also be getting a letter and prescription from my doctor indicating my requirement for these.

My second concern is: question ten: Which asks: Have you visited a rural area or been in contact with, or near farm animals outside Australia in the past 30 days?

I live in a rural area and come into contact with both farm and domestic animals on an almost daily basis, so I will have answer yes again? What are the consequences of answering yes? I don't want them to strip me down and radiate my clothes incase I am harbouring some microscopic germs or whatever!

I guess finally because I am answering yes to some of these questions I will have to go through the red channel with something to declare? Or is it a case of where all incoming passengers have their luggage checked or is it done on a random selection basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Inhalers aren't prohibited medications, they're prescription meds common to all corners of the world. No need to declare

As for the rural declaration, i'm not sure how strict that is. I mean, if you have clean clothes and arent wearing work boots with heavy cleats caked in sh1te, I cant see any issue.
    Although, im sure they may be trying to eliminate the possibility of people carrying viruses in their own bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

As 'medicines' are listed as 'goods subject to subject to restriction' it's a safe assumption that prescription medicine needs to be declared. Just write it down, it's so common it won't be a problem but you don't want to compound any problem they pick up by not declaring prescription medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The reason behind the rural question is they don't want you walking or wheeling anything into the country that's been through, say, mud on a foot and mouth infected farm. While I know that's the case, I'm not sure what they'll do in response to you answering that question with "yes I work with livestock".

In terms of coming into contact with farm animals, how does that happen? Do you walk past them or are you, for instance, a relief milker?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Declaring goods can actually get you through customs/immi faster as the queue can be short. You have nothing to lose by declaring, you could be fined if you fail to disclose.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

When you answer YES on any section of the form it just means the officials will ask you about it. You have a perfectly legit reason so they will acknowledge that and then they may search your bag or not (just the same as if you were stopped randomly without declaring). Regardless of what you answer on your form, your bags will all be x-rayed as you leave the arrivals hall (the same for every passenger). At least if they do confiscate something then, you won't be fined as you declared it on the form beforehand.

Just be careful if youre from the countryside with bringing old boots/shoes etc because if theyre not clean or have any sort of mud on them they will be taken off you. My mate had an old pair of football boots confiscated because they had mud on them and he was fined $200. Not the greatest start to your trip eh!

This page might help you if you havent seen it before: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take

Have fun! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭measurement

Have a great time when you get there!
    To boil down the customs / food issues:-
    the red channel is different from the food and mud issues - its about customs allowances as for other countries.
    If you declare anything (and go ahead, its not a big issue), you get directed to a short queue, where they ask you about the item. They might, or might not, decide to inspect your luggage, depending on what was on the form. Given that you will be answering 'yes' to the rural questions, expect an examination of luggage, but it won't take long.

If there is anything in your luggage that could be considered to be food (even the last polo mint) you are supposed to declare it. This applies even if it was viewed and 'ok'd' last time. They still want you to declare it.

It takes a couple of minutes to clarify what you have, and the asthma stuff will be ok. Bring your prescriptions (or a photocopy), but this would be a good idea, in case you need to see a doctor while you are away anyway.

If you have sweets with you, they are ok, but you need to tick the box and mention them. (they call them lollies, by the way, so don't be confused).

Don't bring gifts made of wood etc. unless you are prepared to pay to have it fumigated before being returned to you a few days later. So, no hurleys unless artificial!

Make sure any shoes etc. don't have mud on them - they don't just have a sign up, like Dublin, they act on it. Their flora and fauna is unique, and unlike Eurpean countries, they have managed to keep many diseases out, so its understandable that they are vigilant.

I once was going there for 2 months, with a daily medication regime of about 6 tablets. Once they saw I had them organised, explained what they were for etc., there was no problem. And they weren't challenging or suspicious. They know their stuff, and the 'victims' you see on tv are the ones they have profiled in other ways. Apart from the lovely beagles, (one definitely wanted my polo mints once), they use sophisticated software to track potential risks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Declare everything, even if it seems trivial. As people above have indicated they will just ask you a few questions and take a quick glance at your meds. The fact you are being so open with customs will be respected by them.

Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Apart from the lovely beagles, (one definitely wanted my polo mints once), they use sophisticated software to track potential risks.
    They asked me if I had any teabags in my luggage because I'm Irish. I think it was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ballooba wrote: »
    They asked me if I had any teabags in my luggage because I'm Irish. I think it was a joke.

That's no joke thats all we did declare. :D

Hard to get a good cup of tea here sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Had to declare tea-bags and kitkats, last time coming through!

Cant believe I bowed to my mates request... Got sent through to the baggage search place afte I declared I had food. Customs guy asked me what I had, after I told him he laughed and told me to get out of here!!
    Thankfully as I also had 600 smokes in my bag!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

concussion wrote: »
    As 'medicines' are listed as 'goods subject to subject to restriction' it's a safe assumption that prescription medicine needs to be declared. Just write it down, it's so common it won't be a problem but you don't want to compound any problem they pick up by not declaring prescription medication.

I declared prescription medicines once, and said to the immigration officer what I meant by that declaration. She got out her big pen and changed my answer to no. However, it's much safer to declare stuff than not to and possibly be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Emma216

What about herbal remedies and probiotics?
    Im planning on going to oz in a few months and want to take some milk thistle (great for hangovers:)) and probiotics.
    Should i keep them in hand luggage or check in luggage?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,353 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

esharknz wrote: »
    I declared prescription medicines once, and said to the immigration officer what I meant by that declaration. She got out her big pen and changed my answer to no. However, it's much safer to declare stuff than not to and possibly be fined.
    This happened to me too, got through quicker than mates who had nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Like it says on the card if you are unsure of anything then tick the yes box. I bought a little red telephone box with jelly babies in it and ticked the yes box for food. The guy just asked me what food it was I told him and he nodded me through. They are really nice as long as you don’t try and sneak anything in and most legal stuff is okay to bring in anyway.

Also make sure your shoes / boots / trainers are clean if you have been on a farm.

Advertisement