Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FS Trek Madone 5.2 Carbon Road Bike 56cm

• 28-05-2010 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Howdy,

I bought this bike before last winter, with the intention of using it this year.. times have changed though, and I am forced to sell it. Save for a few shake down runs last year, it hasn't seen much action, and so is in excellent condition.

It has basically been an expensive carbon work of art, sitting in my home, beautiful bike that it is.

Unfortunately unlike a museum work of art it hasn't gained anything in value.

I paid 2700 euro 8 months ago:

Asking price today: 1650 euro, with a 'little' room for negotiation. Or hey, maybe enough of you will be interested, and bid somewhere above that ;)

Bike is as stock, except for a new Fizik XM saddle, which I'm a fan of, and a set of Ultegra clipless pedals.
    If requested I'll try to get some pics up once I get hold of a decent camera.

For the curious, I live in Dublin city centre.

For now this should give you some idea of its look

http://roadcyclingtips.com/2009-trek-madone-52/

Just to note, unlike the specs listed there, all components are Ultegra.

Here's a review, there used to be more and better, but it will give you some idea of the bike it is.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/madone-52-08-24147

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭treborm

Hi

Is it the white 2009 model or the black 2008 model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Velharn

Hi there,

The colour scheme is exactly like the one in the first link, all white with red and grey detailing. I really should have waited till I got a camera to take some shots, but i have been putting this off for weeks, it was either now, or my ass.
    I am actually not sure, of the year.. if what is American 2008, is European 2009.

But, they usually change the livery yearly, and release it in multiple colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 d.runs

Hi

Is it the performance or the pro you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 davesulliv

Hi Velharn.

Do you know how many miles aprox have you done on this bike, did you have any crashes knocks or scrapes?

Regards
    Dave

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in responding.. damned meteor mobile broadband.. all pm's have been replied to.

To answer the questions asked in this thread..

It is the performance model.

And I have done no more than 100 miles on the bike.. with no crashes, scrapes or near misses.

But here we come to it,

Since I last posted on in this thread, I have given the bike a thorough once over.. regreasing the chain, and all that.

While doing that I discover a not insignificant chip in the paint of the bicycle which had been covered over with what looks like nail varnish, as you hopefully can see in the pictures I uploaded.

This was very definitely there before I bought the bike.. and was not done since.. it has been hanging safely in my house since last winter. Unless I sleep fit wheels, sleep cycle and crash.. and sleep cover it up before I notice.

And how could I miss something like that you might ask.. well when the bike was on display in the store I bought it from I'm certain it was not in that condition.

My only guess is somebody from the store accidentally scratched it before I collected it the next day.. deciding it would be better to cover it up and not inform me.

Now it doesn't seem to be anything that would affect the bike negatively.. it is likely structurally fine and would give years of trouble free cycling.. but it doesn't half piss me off.

I am not sure what to do now.. I considered dropping the price to 1200 euro, and if somebody can live with some superficial damage to the paint, then I am sure they would be happy with the bike.

Or maybe I should have a word with the store.. if only kicking people in the nuts were legal ;)

If anybody has any thoughts/offers feel free to share them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

offer 1200 meet anytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 d.runs

I'd talk to the store before you take a hit on the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Pretty nasty chip and a rather poor job in trying to cover it up. Although unlikely the chip looks more like damage from a stone of the road while cycling, is it on the underside of the downtube? Could it be a case that someone in the bike store took it out for a spin between when it was sale agreed and you picked it up. Definately worth going back and quizing them about the damage although suppose it doesn't help that a certain number of months have passed.

Also interested in viewing the bike as a means of purchase. If there isn't any structural damage from the chip would be interested in making an offer.
    Thanks

Just waitin to her back from Velharn, hopefully we can meet up tommorow.

Just picked up the Trek, cracking bike. Thanks Velharn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

So it's sold? Good luck with the purchase and the bike. Nice looking colour scheme also.
    Pretty poor communication from the OP, he said he was considering dropping the price to 1200 and nothing seemed definate. Was also interested in making an offer depending on sizing so he could have maybe got more than the 1200. His loss I guess.

Sorry Dr_Colossus, didn't note your interest until last night when you pm'd me. For some reason I didn't get notifications to my phone about any new posts to this thread.

But as it was, when I did notice, I was already at the stage with heffsarmy that we'd essentially agreed on the deal. I like more money, and
    I kind of regret reducing the price so much so quickly.. but a mans gotta have a code. A deals, a deal.. even if the detached nature of dealing on the net makes screwing people over more easy.

Anyway enough waffle.. I got my much needed money, and hffsarmy, or at least his friend got a bike he's happy with, so all's well as..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭johndoe77ie

And what a crackin bike it is too. I saw it the day heff bought it. Worth €1600 of anybodys cash. Gimme a shout next time your havin a firesale.

Advertisement