Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France chosen to host Euro 2016

2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If Greece can with a European Championship any country can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,428 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would it be ironic if Ireland were to lift the European championships in the same stadium that caused so much emotion and heartbreak to so many of us. With 24 teams qualifying we should least get in competition

Yes I know it's long shot, but we can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Would it be ironic if Ireland were to lift the European championships in the same stadium that caused so much emotion and heartbreak to so many of us. With 24 teams qualifying we should least get in competition

Dream ??? ...Stranger things have happened ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We aren't the bleeding Faroes. Little bit of perspective please!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

I'm disappointed Turkey haven't been the opportunity to stage it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

rossie1977 wrote: »
    not true, the biggest stadium at euro 2008 was in vienna, capacity 52,000 (so roughly equal to landsdowne), next biggest was basel @ 42,000 and all the others seated 30,000

again no because ireland would not host by itself, it would share the hosting with another country so we would only need 4 or maximum 5 stadiums, stadiums like thomond and pearse could be brought up to standard which would take about a year and you would have to build one somewhere from scratch or allow croke park to host

tournaments and sporting events are not given to countries with facilties already in place, if they were why do host cities spend billons on olympics??

Fair enough... But would the GAA (and in fairness, they'd have every right to tell anyone to fúck off if they wanted to; these are their stadiums after all and they were explicitly designed for Gaelic Games) really allow FIFA/UEFA to run roughshod over their stadiums, give them exclusive use of said stadiums for 6 weeks beforehand (must also be remembered that any Euro Championship Tournament would be also at the height of the GAA Season) and so on. No.

The only alternative for Ireland to get the required number of stadia to even think of co-hosting would be to build from scratch.

noodler wrote: »
    We aren't the bleeding Faroes. Little bit of perspective please!

Jesus if I said we were going win it people would say im off my head:D

DazMarz wrote: »
    But would the GAA ............... and so on. No.

Money talks. And a tournament of that size would command a shít-load of money. GAA like money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

24 teams is something needed badly. Theres load of sides including ourselves that struggle in the world rankings due to our constant failure to qualify for the Euros. Hopefully Wales qualify for it in 2016 pity it will be too late for Giggs.

As for the quality dilution I dont agree, the difference between the the 2nd place teams that usually qualify and the 3rd place team that miss out is never that big. Ireland are currently the 24th ranked team in Europe b.d.w!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

There's two cities (Johannesburg and Pretoria) in the upcoming World Cup that have two Stadia in use and there's plenty of Stadia that are rugby grounds but are being used for soccer this summer.

If FIFA/UEFA want to spread their wings and be seen to be sharing it around they'll overlook factors like these.

But they will not be in use for anything else during the World Cup. This rule is one of the major stumbling blocks for Australia hosting any World Cup as the MCG and other stadiums are used for rugby league, cricket etc during the summer.

As is said above by somebody else, the stadiums can be used for other things, but not for the duration of the tournament.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    24 teams is something needed badly. Theres load of sides including ourselves that struggle in the world rankings due to our constant failure to qualify for the Euros. Hopefully Wales qualify for it in 2016 pity it will be too late for Giggs.

As for the quality dilution I dont agree, the difference between the the 2nd place teams that usually qualify and the 3rd place team that miss out is never that big. Ireland are currently the 24th ranked team in Europe b.d.w!!![/QUOTE]

Was curious so checked (did not trust you ;);) only joking)

Your correct but had laugh when I saw Norway in 22nd ffs

While Ireland are certainly not setting the world alight by any means, the reason the ranking is so low is that our recent record of qualification for major tournaments is so poor. Hand-Of-Frog notwithstanding (the awful phrase 'Ireland should have...' is bandied about a lot), the cold hard fact remains that Ireland have not qualified for a major international tournament since 2002 (there have been two Euros and two World Cups since then and Ireland have qualified for none of them).

Ireland are by no means as 'bad' or as 'good' as their ranking suggests, but that is (in addition to other weird co-efficients) how a part of the rankings are calculated; recent form in qualifying for major tournaments...

And as much as it can be suggested that the GAA would bow to money for use of their stadiums, they might during the down-season in the Winter. They most certainly would not (for fear of an uprising the like of which has not been seen in this land since 1916!!! amongst other reasons) during the peak of their Championship season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Agree that people must be having a laugh if they think Ireland could ever host a major tournament. The country just seems incapable of hosting such big crowds, between accomodation and travel we would need to seriously invest.

Then obviously you have the stadiums, Lansdowne and Croker (if we were aloud) could do the job, but otherwise what have we got? Nothing suitable for a major tournament IMO, arguably Thomond Park and the RDS (possibly??) if done up to the max.. but the RDS would mean 3 stadiums in Dublin alone which is surely not permitted? I've never been to the majority of GAA stadiums around the country, but I'd imagine they wouldn't be the best and would require a lot of investment to be of UEFA standards? Basically, this country has only one football stadium and would need to use GAA/Rugby stadiums to make up the numbers.

Even if Scotland or Wales were to make a bid I don't see why they would choose Ireland when we only have 1 or 2 grounds suitable for use, would probably make more sense for them to just build the extra 2 stadiums themselves, or even to host a Wales/Scotland bid.

A more realistic option perhaps, would be to host the U.21 european championships. 8 teams, plus the fact its under 21 would mean much smaller crowds, only 4 stadiums needed too, which would be doable if we were to invest a bit in some stadiums.
    For the 2009 tournament in Sweden, the 4 capacities were 21,000, 17,000, 12,000 and 8,000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship#Venues

So the Aviva, and possibly modified versions of Tallaght, Turners Cross and any other LoI stadium around the country really, would benefit football in this country in more ways than one in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

TonyD79 wrote: »
    As for the quality dilution I dont agree, the difference between the the 2nd place teams that usually qualify and the 3rd place team that miss out is never that big. Ireland are currently the 24th ranked team in Europe b.d.w!!!

Was curious so checked (did not trust you ;);) only joking)

Your correct but had laugh when I saw Norway in 22nd ffs

I think the new ranking system for UEFA competitions is fairer, it only counts competitive games over the past 3 tournaments, where as the FIFA Rankings can count friendlies and your ranking can be skewed by meaningless games.

We are currently 20th in the rankings for 2016 (excluding France).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The country just seems incapable of hosting such big crowds, between accomodation and travel we would need to seriously invest.

myth, the country is well capable of hosting big crowds/international events, are we forgetting the 2006 ryder cup which averaged 40,000 a day, the galway races attract 50,000 a day and millstreet, a little village in north cork with one street played host to 10,000 people from all over europe and the watching world in 1993

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

myth, the country is well capable of hosting big crowds/international events, are we forgetting the 2006 ryder cup which averaged 40,000 a day, the galway races attract 50,000 a day and millstreet, a little village in north cork with one street played host to 10,000 people from all over europe and the watching world in 1993

Her's a hypothetical one for you...England V Germany in Thurles in a Euro C'ship game...Think about it please and then think again and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

You are talknig about one off events. The euro c'ship would last for a month and just think about ther logistics of accommodating tens of thousands of fans over the course of three weeks. The Galway Races attendnaces would to a significant degree made up of people living in Galway and to use the Eurovision as an example is embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You are talknig about one off events. The euro c'ship would last for a month and just think about ther logistics of accommodating tens of thousands of fans over the course of three weeks. The Galway Races attendnaces would to a significant degree made up of people living in Galway and to use the Eurovision as an example is embarrassing

Exactly the infrastructure in Ireland couldn't cope with a major championship like the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Laughable stuff being posted here.

Ireland to host a major championships??? :D:D:D:D

Never mind the infrastructure from hotels rooms to railways to stadia.

There's a LoI game on tomorrow that'll attract about 3,000 people. The games kicks off at about 1pm cos our incompetent guards can't deal with a little bit of anticipated trouble. One only has to look at their attacks on Glentoran fans in Dalyer recently for anyone to realise how useless they are.

Roll on the Europa League final next year.

Something along the lines of Gala-Red Star or Rangers-Hajduk please. :cool:

PS:The best Ireland could hope for is the Euro U21 tournament. Sweden held it last year with four venues and the Danes will do it next year with the same number. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship#Venues It could be easily held here with new Lansdowne, Thomond, Turner's Cross (may need upgrade of some sort) and preferably another regional ground like Athlone (obv needing a bit of work)-failing that Tallaght.

I'm a narrow-minded, anything-for-a-quiet-life, cynical being... and if I'm going to lob my very horrible and xenophobic 2c in here now at this juncture.

If it was up to me (and I guess the world should be thankful that it isn't), the World Cup would never be hosted outside of the following nations (possibly forgetting a few, if I am sorry in advance):

-Germany
    -France
    -Spain
    -Italy
    -United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales)
    -Australia
    -USA
    -Japan
    -Korea
    -Portugal

Why? Simply because these are the nations that would be best equipped to deal with the tournament! The stadiums, the infrastructure, law enforcement etc. are all top notch here and I do not see the point of holding the damn thing in places like South Africa, Brazil et al, where facilities are not as good and law enforcement is on the verge of utter collapse. I know this is a narrow view, but let those that are proven and that are good at holding these things hold them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm a narrow-minded, anything-for-a-quiet-life, cynical being... and if I'm going to lob my very horrible and xenophobic 2c in here now at this juncture.

If it was up to me (and I guess the world should be thankful that it isn't), the World Cup would never be hosted outside of the following nations (possibly forgetting a few, if I am sorry in advance):

-Germany
    -France
    -Spain
    -Italy
    -United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales)
    -Australia
    -USA
    -Japan
    -Korea
    -Portugal

Why? Simply because these are the nations that would be best equipped to deal with the tournament! The stadiums, the infrastructure, law enforcement etc. are all top notch here and I do not see the point of holding the damn thing in places like South Africa, Brazil et al, where facilities are not as good and law enforcement is on the verge of utter collapse. I know this is a narrow view, but let those that are proven and that are good at holding these things hold them!!!

You should probably remove Brazil from your bad list and put it straight onto your good list.
    One of the fastest growing economies in the World*, investing massive amounts of money in their sports stadia (for the Olympics as well as WC2014), a people who genuinely love football, and a very safe country for all but the most reckless visitor. Ticks all the boxes that the others on your list tick, and ticks a few extra that Japan, Korea and the US don't.

* admiitedly not too difficult when everyone else has a recession going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Zebra3 wrote: »

There's a LoI game on tomorrow that'll attract about 3,000 people. The games kicks off at about 1pm cos our incompetent guards can't deal with a little bit of anticipated trouble. One only has to look at their attacks on Glentoran fans in Dalyer recently for anyone to realise how useless they are.

Having expected trouble games early is standard practice in lots of countries.

But sure, we wouldnt want a chance to miss a bit of Garda bashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Stekelly wrote: »
    Having expected trouble games early is standard practice in lots of countries.

But sure, we wouldnt want a chance to miss a bit of Garda bashing.

Find me a game in another country moved due to potential crowd trouble that attracts a crowd of roughly 3,000.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Find me a game in another country moved due to potential crowd trouble that attracts a crowd of roughly 3,000.
    Find me a crowd of 3000 people that have an hours drinking done versus a group of 3000 people that have 7 hours drinking done and see how little/much trouble is caused.

30, 300, 3000, 30000 people - it only takes 1 stupid fool to cause serious damage to another fan - reducing the amount of drinking time for that 1 stupid fool makes perfect sense.

It's all relative - the countries with 30,000 fans coming to a football game have the same ratio of cops available to cover those games as the gardai have to cover these.

Jesus if I said we were going win it people would say im off my head:D

There is a middle ground!
    ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

3 unsuccessful play offs in that period as well. I still say thet the idea of us qualfiying for an expanded Euro 2016 is more than a "pipe dream"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

adamski8 wrote: »
    Why the hell would they need to invest that much in stadia:confused:

I am guessing they are going to do it "right" as opposed to some half arse paddy effort.

I am guessing they are going to do it "right" as opposed to some half arse paddy effort.

That's sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

We would announce our intentions to spend 2 billion on 8 stadiums that each have a capacity of 50k each. By the time everything is approved, there will be 500 million made available and we will manage to to build two 40k seater stadiums with that and close one hospital in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Fair enough... But would the GAA (and in fairness, they'd have every right to tell anyone to fúck off if they wanted to; these are their stadiums after all and they were explicitly designed for Gaelic Games) really allow FIFA/UEFA to run roughshod over their stadiums, give them exclusive use of said stadiums for 6 weeks beforehand (must also be remembered that any Euro Championship Tournament would be also at the height of the GAA Season) and so on. No.

The only alternative for Ireland to get the required number of stadia to even think of co-hosting would be to build from scratch.

They said that 'foreign games' would never be played in GAA HQ. They also said the Titanic would never sink!

Money talks. And a tournament of that size would command a shít-load of money. GAA like money.

+1

• Advertisement

Granted, the GAA like money (and would have every right to make an utter killing off such an event if their stadia were to be used), but I can just see the blood of the grassroots of the GAA boiling (my own father included!!!!!!!:o:() if Championship games had to be moved/rescheduled due to soccer matches being played in Gaelic grounds at the time.

I honestly do not think it would fly at all, tbh. If it was to be held during the winter, it would... Maybe Ireland should apply to host the African Cup Of Nations....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's never ever going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Good decision to choose France. After WC in 98 surely there wouldn't be too much need for stadium redevelopment. One country with good transport system (asuming the train drivers don't strike as is their wont) rather than two vast countries like Poland/Ukraine that need massive infrastructural boosts. It's in the Euro (if it still exists by then)and central to a lot of the bigger footballing nations like Spain, Germany, UK, Holland etc. Now let's hope FIFA follow up and give England the World Cup in 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Granted, the GAA like money (and would have every right to make an utter killing off such an event if their stadia were to be used), but I can just see the blood of the grassroots of the GAA boiling (my own father included!!!!!!!:o:() if Championship games had to be moved/rescheduled due to soccer matches being played in Gaelic grounds at the time.

I honestly do not think it would fly at all, tbh. If it was to be held during the winter, it would... Maybe Ireland should apply to host the African Cup Of Nations....:D

Great idea, we could have the final in Mosney! :D

Advertisement