Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting interior exposed stone walls....HELP

• 28-05-2010 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,
    We're renovating an old stone cottage c200(ish)yrs, with thick stone walls, the exterior walls are plastered and I think we'll keep them that way, however we'd like to expose some of the interior walls, some we'll leave bare (or should they be sealed somehow?) and I'd like to paint one or two of the exposed walls.

Does anyone know what kind of paint we should use?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

cgkk wrote: »
    Hi all,
    and I'd like to paint one or two of the exposed walls.

Does anyone know what kind of paint we should use?QUOTE]

Don't paint natural stone - IMO it looks terrible.:eek:
    It will be impossible to remove, if you don't like it.

200 year old stone walls need to breath - lime mortar breaths. If the paint prevents it breathing then you will cause all sorts of problems - condensation etc.

If you must "paint" stone use a traditional white-lime-wash.

There are a number of special clear breathable sealers on the market (seal wall to prevent dust, but fully breathable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

As above. If you want to kill the "dusty" effect, use a coat of clear surface sealer, but do a crap job applying it, ie, brush it on in a fairly "non thorough" fashion so there are plenty of small bits missed to allow the wall to breath. Painting stone is like a tatoo, once done, its normally regretted by people of taste. and ive a tatoo.... and a lot of unpainted 300yr old stonework in my house. And some that previouse fools painted. Yeuch..

Advertisement