Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First Pc Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

ok thanks ;) i was getting a x6 but now buying this PSU i'll have to get the x4 965 i hope it's just as good

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Why did I think you were getting a X4-965?? :confused::o

In any case both those units are good. They're also horrendous overkill for this build :o

because that was my first choice if i wait another 2/3 weeks i could get one but it brings the cost to over 1050 which is a bit much for a pc IMO

i noticed more stuff one the other side of my PSU if it helps

DC: -12DC
    Max output: 0.8A

I do plan on adding another 5850 down the line would it still be overkill

With a second HD5850 a good 750W unit does start to make more sense :)

• Advertisement

lol cool bit disappointed i have to go back to the 965 was really looking forward to the x6 1090T

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

can you put up your parts list and maybe there is somewere you can shave money to go x6

hold on just doing something

Edit: it's ok I'm still going for it

If the 1090T is too much there's always the 1055T...

no I'll go for 1090T I might as well every site i go to to post my build they say scrap the 965 go for 1090T.

I have now asked on the AMD forums "Why go x6" I'm hoping for positive response. I really want to know why people keep saying go x6 is it really that good.

The only thing making me think x6 would be good is not having to upgrade for a long long time.

EDIT: oh I'd like to thank you Solitaire for helping me with my build also to the others who gave advice i hope it goes to well.

• Advertisement

The X6 CPUs are total applications powerhouses especially for encoding etc. If an app can't utilize HyperThreading well there's nothing that can best an X6 under the €1000 mark.

However the X6s aren't good for games, although given the unexplained clock-for-clock losses against an existing X4 this looks more like a temporary driver glitch more than anything.

So in the near future x6's will be good for gaming?

Surely you can play crysis without lag on an x6

AFAIK Crysis is hardcoded to use either 3 or 4 threads, and it doesn't play nice with HyperThreading either. It remains the bane of everything that isn't an OCd i5-750 :(

But its worth bearing in mind that its still not bad or laggy results from it from what I've seen, and it might be fixed by a driver hotfix. At the moment any clock increase past 2.9GHz on the hexacores doesn't seem to have any effect on anything if a graphics card is running flat out, which sounds like epic driver fail and might get fixed :)

Well i hope your right about it being a driver fix

PC has been ordered i went with the 1090T thanks to all of you who helped me if you'd like to see it finished I'll post a vid again thank you ;)

I got my stuff today but sadly the modo isn't working. I plug everything in and it was mounted in the case went to turn it on and got no signal it then stopped powering the CPU cooler.

I'll have to send it back and see what they say

Which mobo? If its a hexacore CPU the mobo may not be able to recognise it and would need a BIOS update :o Or you might need to reset the CMOS - oh, and make sure the EPS12V connector is plugged in! That's a classic mistake! :o

it's a new mobo with the 890fx chip plus the CPU fan isn't moving it must be the mobo

Try the above anyway before you RMA it.

how do i update it when nothing appers on the screen

EDIT:

just noticed it says 6 core ready on the box

• Advertisement
Advertisement