Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remington R15/R25

Options
  • 28-05-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    A quick askaround.I know a few of yez out there have these in R15 configuration.
    Can I ask you how much you paid for them?
    How long you had to wait for them to be deliverd to your dealer?[Excluding liscensing waiting time]
    And off whom? If you dont want to post this in an open forum,please feel free to PM.And of course any pertinent info you might think is worth relating about the sales and the prices is welcome too.
    I am in the market for one,and I am getting the feeling that somthing fishy is going down on my orde.
    TIA
    Grizz

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I seen one about 6 months ago or less on the shelf above in Ray Sampsons Lazy dog. Its gone now but might be worth asking him as he has brought one in before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

You should get change out of 1500....Mine was in the shop for one day when I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Dwight is yours a restricted firearm? I take it being semi auto it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

elius wrote: »

All centrefire semi-autos are restricted.

All centrefire semi-autos are restricted.

Thought as much :o ..

• Advertisement

it is mate

dwighet wrote: »
    it is mate

you must have one very cool super/fo.

you must have one very cool super/fo.

there a good crowd down my way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

there a good crowd down my way

There are at least 4 Oberland Arms Remington R-15's that I know of that were bought in Athlone, I don't know who bought them but they were in 2009/10 and have all been licensed.

I'd prefer an oberland model, but they are pricey. €2200 before you add DAT, Dealer added tax, Europe Purchase so in Theory no CCT/VAT
    zoom_img.php?category=Waffen&id=OA10_01

There are at least 4 Oberland Arms Remington R-15's that I know of that were bought in Athlone, I don't know who bought them but they were in 2009/10 and have all been licensed.

I'd prefer an oberland model, but they are pricey. €2200 before you add DAT, Dealer added tax, Europe Purchase so in Theory no CCT/VAT
    zoom_img.php?category=Waffen&id=OA10_01

For some reason previous pic seems not to work.

• Advertisement

For some reason previous pic seems not to work.

Each to there own....Im happy enough with mine....never a jam and shoots true...very true for a factory rifle...

Each to there own....Im happy enough with mine....never a jam and shoots true...very true for a factory rifle...

I'm not dissing yours dweight, It's only a flight of fancy for me getting either.

I'd prob go with the remmy as it is cheaper, but if I had spends i would go with the oberland.

Did any of your camo get scratched off?
    I have a set of muffs with real tree and the camo came off in flakes if scratched, that would be my only concern.

I would like a .223 SA just for the sake of having one, but try explain that to the super!:D
    The 4 second shot rule on a range would defeat the purpose of s/a anyway.
    It reminds me of fast cars/motorbikes. Looks cool, well made but gets a lot of unwanted attention.:(

I'm not dissing yours dweight, It's only a flight of fancy for me getting either.

I'd prob go with the remmy as it is cheaper, but if I had spends i would go with the oberland.

Did any of your camo get scratched off?
    I have a set of muffs with real tree and the camo came off in flakes if scratched, that would be my only concern.

I would like a .223 SA just for the sake of having one, but try explain that to the super!:D
    It reminds me of fast cars/motorbikes. Looks cool, well made but gets a lot of unwanted attention.:(
    No worries tak....
    The only unwanted attention is from lads that know feck all about em..There just another firearm in the right hands of course.

No worries tak....
    The only unwanted attention is from lads that know feck all about em..There just another firearm in the right hands of course.

Although firing good ammo @ ~25 a box it would have ya out on the road!
    The R-25 is cool to, in .243 with a mod on would be a great foxer, but they look evil lol

if I could convince the old man to trade in his old anschutz in place of one and a dual licence we would be in business.
    I can't get another firearm without going into another catageoy :(
    Which means a big spend on added security.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[/QUOTE]

The 4 sec rule is only for guys messing around with turnbolts.With a semi that job is already done,and you can stay on target alot easier for 4secs without having to worry about losing position,coming off picture etc.
    As for attention,we live in a supposedly Free country,wher if you can afford and legally own it.Whats the problem??Apart from the usual begrudgery...and an insistance on living in the past??:rolleyes: What state would we be in if it was insisted that the Gardai only could use Hilman Hunters as squad cars,or that Aer Lingus could only ly DC3 Dakotas?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Would you care to explain this :confused:

GT550 wasn't that fast if I remember rightly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Would you care to explain this :confused:

GT550 wasn't that fast if I remember rightly :p

Must be at least 4 sec between shots taken at the Midlands range. It's in the rule book.

clivej wrote: »
    Must be at least 4 sec between shots taken at the Midlands range. It's in the rule book.

I'd prefer an accurate bolt action to an in accurate SA.
    I can get off follow up shots very quick and accurately with my remmy.
    Also the SA rifle is very loud on the user MOD on or Off.
    The ejection way emits sound from the exhaust stroke of the cylinder (for lac of a better word)

I often got 4 rabbits in the space of 20 or so seconds when I had a nice steady position and calm conditions for my remmy.

The advantage of SA is very small as most of the time rabbits are in 2's or 1's
    very rarely will I see legions of rabbits in a field, not since around 2005 when i got my Remmy and stacked the odds in my favour

I'd prefer an accurate bolt action to an in accurate SA.

Now becoming a old wives tale.So the Barret 50 cal SA isnt accurate?
    And the USMC/US Army just wasted over 20 million dollars of the taxpayers money to get Kinght Armament to develop the DMR?? Digging out every M14 still in mothballs and retrofitting it as a DMR?
    Not to mind the Isrealis have been using one as their sniper guns for decades,a Galil derivatitave or the Russians with the Dragunov[Ok last one a point in question]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3qQB4b4Pgo

A pretty good youtube video on this point of bolt action vs semi.

The ejection way emits sound from the exhaust stroke of the cylinder (for lac of a better word)
    Eh???How did you hear about that??:).Again with a Mod the only thing you should hear is the bolt and action functioning.And if it has a gas regulator,you can even drop that to nothing,and turn it into a single shot.

I often got 4 rabbits in the space of 20 or so seconds when I had a nice steady position and calm conditions for my remmy.
    very rarely will I see legions of rabbits in a field, not since around 2005 when i got my Remmy and stacked the odds in my favour
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah,I'm not shooting wabbits though.I intend to use this for hunting in heavy brush for deer and wild goats,where as a leftie I havent got time to be fooling around with a right handed bolt action.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

The ejection way emits sound from the exhaust stroke of the cylinder (for lac of a better word

Have you fired many SA rifles with suppressors on them to back this up ?

Because I have and Ill say that its nonsense ! Like a bolt action it mainly depends on ammunition used. While a SA rifle does have to recock itself the sound isnt that loud that id defeats the 1 of the purposes of a suppressor. Sound escaping on the rearward movement of the bolt isnt what you need to worry about .... its unburnt powder !!!!

At 100 yards with my S/A .308 I hear the "ping" of a steel plate before I hear my action recock... at the same "loudness" as if cocked it myself.

As I am a south paw a S/A is very usefull in that most are considerably more user friendly to leftys than bolt guns.

• Advertisement

Have you fired many SA rifles with suppressors on them to back this up ?

Because I have and Ill say that its nonsense ! Like a bolt action it mainly depends on ammunition used. While a SA rifle does have to recock itself the sound isnt that loud that id defeats the 1 of the purposes of a suppressor. Sound escaping on the rearward movement of the bolt isnt what you need to worry about .... its unburnt powder !!!!

At 100 yards with my S/A .308 I hear the "ping" of a steel plate before I hear my action recock... at the same "loudness" as if cocked it myself.

As I am a south paw a S/A is very usefull in that most are considerably more user friendly to leftys than bolt guns.

I fire a rifle from the left shoulder, I hate the shell spat across my face.
    My post has been slightly mis understood.
    I have fired semi and fully auto Rifles. Romanian version AK47 in USA and Styer AUG compliments of the late Willie O Dea.
    The AR platform might suit me with the shell deflector.
    Burnt powder is a concern. I was burnt wit h powder before fyring an AUG from the left shoulder, I affixed a bandaid to my lip to stop the majority of powder.

I'm not saying SA's are bad, I'm just saying they are not (TO ME) worth the hassle of getting a restricted SA instead of a bolt.

A previous poster mentioned a Barret.
    I'm not comparing a cheaply made R-15 with a Barret.

I like SA's I have a semi auto shotty.
    I'm just happy with a bolt shooting rabbits in 1's or 2's.
    I'd buy a SA in the morning if they were easily licenced without becoming fort Knox that I would have to do with 2 restricted firearms and 5 or more firearms, thats what my point was.

I like Oberland Arms AR15 variants if I was to have a SA they would probably be the one. But as they are over 2 grand before you get a scope no thank you. Maybe if I win the Lotto

[/QUOTE]

Yeah,I'm not shooting wabbits though.I intend to use this for hunting in heavy brush for deer and wild goats,where as a leftie I havent got time to be fooling around with a right handed bolt action.:)[/QUOTE]

I know of nobody that has licenced a .308 SA for shooting deer.
    Not to say it can't be done, but I have not heard of it.

I have not shot goats in years. I can't stand the smell of the fuc*ers.
    If you have licenced it for deer wasw there any questions asked why not use a bolt Action etc?
    And what type of SA do you shoot?

have fired semi and fully auto Rifles. Romanian version AK47 in USA and Styer AUG compliments of the late Willie O Dea.

SHOOT!! When did Willie O Dea die:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    The AR platform might suit me with the shell deflector
    They do! Thats the knobbly bit behind the ejection port,and forward of the FWD assist button.
    Burnt powder is a concern. I was burnt wit h powder before fyring an AUG from the left shoulder, I affixed a bandaid to my lip to stop the majority of powder.

Not in the least bit surprised there Tack.The Aug is a bullpup rifle and was never dedsigned for Lefties unless you have a left hand model.A Major failing BTW along with cruddy trigger pull on most Bullpup designs.
    I'm not saying SA's are bad, I'm just saying they are not (TO ME) worth the hassle of getting a restricted SA instead of a bolt.
    Each to their own,but it shouldnt prevent others from being denied their choice.As I have said before,technology marches on.
    That was me BTW. But the principle arguement is the same.
    I'd buy a SA in the morning if they were easily licenced without becoming fort Knox that I would have to do with 2 restricted firearms and 5 or more firearms, thats what my point was.
    Each to their own,but seeing that my security was at the highest level and now surpassing the requirements,it is an irrevelant point for me.

I like Oberland Arms AR15 variants if I was to have a SA they would probably be the one. But as they are over 2 grand before you get a scope no thank you. Maybe if I win the Lotto
    TBH Oberland are great guns,but there are now plenty on the market that will do the job just as well and at not such a silly price.

I know of nobody that has licenced a .308 SA for shooting deer.
    Not to say it can't be done, but I have not heard of it.

Well then let me enlighten you... I have and I WILL:D
    I have not shot goats in years. I can't stand the smell of the fuc*ers.
    If you have licenced it for deer wasw there any questions asked why not use a bolt Action etc?
    And what type of SA do you shoot?
    [/QUOTE]
    Stinky feckers all right.No just a complete refusal,not even a common courtsey of a quiery from the CS or a ask why do I need this...Just the usual way the Gardai deal with gunowners here..which was overturned in the Limerick DC three weeks ago.
    Hopefully soon a Remington R25 in cal .243

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I have fired semi and fully auto Rifles. Romanian version AK47 in USA and Styer AUG compliments of the late Willie O Dea.
    The AR platform might suit me with the shell deflector.

Firing off the left has never bothered me as regards shell ejection. I do however (when i remember) wear shooting glasses as my face is closer to the ejection opening then if i was right handed.

Congrats of firing firearms in S/A and F/A however you arent the only one but I have to call you on something......

The a right handed bullpup firearm cannot (im sure there are exceptions but the steyr isnt 1) be fired off the left shoulder with a bandaid as the only form of a fix.... Its not the powder that uve to worry about .... its the extracted case hitting you in the face ...

I once saw an FCA/RDF after he fired a Steyr off his left.... his lip was burnt, black, bloody and swollen to feck !

Was going to say more like the bolt coming back and taking a bit of cheek of your face.:eek:

Firing off the left has never bothered me as regards shell ejection. I do however (when i remember) wear shooting glasses as my face is closer to the ejection opening then if i was right handed.

Congrats of firing firearms in S/A and F/A however you arent the only one but I have to call you on something......

The a right handed bullpup firearm cannot (im sure there are exceptions but the steyr isnt 1) be fired off the left shoulder with a bandaid as the only form of a fix.... Its not the powder that uve to worry about .... its the extracted case hitting you in the face ...

I once saw an FCA/RDF after he fired a Steyr off his left.... his lip was burnt, black, bloody and swollen to feck !
    Never say can't Paddy Will always find a way, I have fired it, takes a bit of discomfort with the neck, but can be done.

And yes sometimes the ejected case may fall back ito the ejection way and cause a jam.
    if one wanted to fire an AUG single action, turn gas setting to grenade, then work the bolt by hand, Done that too :D
    I even went as far as sourcing a bolt and stock for left handed model but i could not import as it was classed as part of a firearm (bolt was)

And yes I burned my lip too the first time, hence bandaids.
    My shotty ejects through the bottom so no crap across the face, the GPMG is the same (ejects through the bottom) so they can be fired from wither shoulder.

I have to wear safety glasses firing my Glock as it is a club rule.
    So in summation it it far handier for the ordinary Joe to get a bolt action For foxes rabbits or deer.

I know that most who are on here are really into their guns and have great equipment, but I would always advise against a SA unless the person really wanted one.
    I also agree in free choice, I'd love to have about 7 rifles and 5 pistols, but we are where we are. It's not texas but texas has it's own issues

I even went as far as sourcing a bolt and stock for left handed model but i could not import as it was classed as part of a firearm (bolt was)
    Shouldnt the Irish Army provide that????:eek:

I have to wear safety glasses firing my Glock as it is a club rule.
    A Glock is Ambidex,thats why I use one.
    So in summation it it far handier for the ordinary Joe to get a bolt action For foxes rabbits or deer.
    Proably,but they shouldnt be limited to that just because some Burrocrat who has watched one too many Terminator films and thinks this is what happens in the real world,so therefore they must be restricted... We see enough of that crap thought process as it is in our firearms laws.
    Same as how the switchblade knife got a bad rap from Hollywood and Marlon Brando.One of the most practical knives banned because of a stupid film.:mad:
    I also agree in free choice, I'd love to have about 7 rifles and 5 pistols, but we are where we are. It's not texas but texas has it's own issues

And thats the way things will stay until people start saying."I've had enough of being treated by the powers that be in this land with such utter contempt!"No,it definately isnt Texas,because by now the Texans would have sceeded from the Union.They are about the only State that could do it too.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Shouldnt the Irish Army provide that????:eek:
    Nope, They say adapt and overcome:( Hence the bandaid)

A Glock is Ambidex,thats why I use one. I meant for wearing goggles on a range to shoot a SA, but yes. That is the reason i own a glock too
    I phrased that badly

Proably,but they shouldnt be limited to that just because some Burrocrat who has watched one too many Terminator films and thinks this is what happens in the real world,so therefore they must be restricted... We see enough of that crap thought process as it is in our firearms laws.
    Same as how the switchblade knife got a bad rap from Hollywood and Marlon Brando.One of the most practical knives banned because of a stupid film.:mad:

And thats the way things will stay until people start saying."I've had enough of being treated by the powers that be in this land with such utter contempt!"No,it definately isnt Texas,because by now the Texans would have sceeded from the Union.They are about the only State that could do it too.
    I have to say I loved texas, I was there for a decent period of time through work, and met some amazing folks, that love a paddy who loved firearms. So they treated me really well.

But we may be going off thread.
    This all started because I said a SA was not worth the hassle, which i still think is broadly true, but that debate could go on for ever.

So if you fulfill the security requirements, by all means get a SA, an excellant foxer.
    If you want a more simpler route get a bolt action;)

• Advertisement

Adapt,improvise and overcome is fine.BUTthat is understandable in a combat situation or shortage.But as a peacetime policy????:eek::eek:
    Wouldnt that have saved millions with the deaf soilders claim...??IE stick some cotton wool in your ears if you are worried by noise?You macerating your cheek,lips and jawbone is abit above and beyond the call of duty.:eek:
    Onyways,I dont have anything against turnbolts either.It is just[1] difficult to get a left handed turnbolt[2] one that has a fast lock time in LH.All I've seen sofar are all mauser style actions,and unless you want to spend alot you are very stuck with about three companies.[3] I belive in using the right tool for the job or situation.

Advertisement